Spyder Garage

Default Have to vent... Love my Spyder

Have to vent even though I love my Spyders... Its probably been a past discussion here but I have to post.. When I bought both my Spyders I also purchased the expensive maintenance or service plans through RPM One... My RT was $1600 and my RS was $900... Purchased them both at Broward Motorsports (great place, awesome service). Was not planning on moving at the time but an opportunity came up in Orlando for me and my family. I moved the 3 1/2 hours north. Have to service them so spoke to someone at CFPS (great people too). Was told I have to call RPM One. Called RPM One and was told if any of my Spyders broke down I can take them to CFPS but my very expensive plans are non transferable. So I have to take a 3 1/2 hour trip down to get my oil changed... Paid for it already... Sry for the vent post but I think thats just plain stupid..... Great excuse for a nice long ride but if I have to leave them overnight for anything then Im screwed getting a hotel and walking to it...
    2014 Black RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall hearing that Florida has something in their laws, that causes this problem...
    Well you're right; it IS an excuse for a good ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmmmmmm. That has me thinking whether I should get an extended warranty. When I originally purchased my 2013 RT-S, I didn't get the extended warranty because my plan was to trade every two years. I posted this thought sometime ago on here, and it was pointed out to me that I ought to have the extended warranty because it was a "good selling point" in that it would be transferable. (I know I know the originator of this thread was talking about a different transferability).

Now that I've seen this post, my thinking is that if I buy an extended warranty, it is certainly transferable to my "potential buyer", BUT my "market" so to speak would be limited to those who only live close to my dealership where I purchased the extended warranty. In other words having an extended warranty, and more specifically RPM One, means nothing to a potential buyer who may live in E.B.F.E.

Any thoughts on this one?

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do your homework!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

B.E.S.T. dropped FL 1 1/2 years ago; I would advice to shop for extended warranty plans @ Bert's Mega Mall (SL sponsor).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    B.E.S.T. dropped FL 1 1/2 years ago; I would advice to shop for extended warranty plans @ Bert's Mega Mall (SL sponsor).
    Florida's laws about extended warranties are very confusing. Out of Florida, BEST covers to any BRP dealer regardless of where it is purchased. Someone needs to investigate this further.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

We are the government.... We're here to help!

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is the link from BRP's site to the Best Warranty for Florida http://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/ca...on_Florida.pdf
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

( Note to self: Florida may NOT be the best place for retirement...)

Spyder Garage

Default Florida..!!

has some strange extended warranty issues. You will have to do some investigating. If the drive is a bit much you may be able to cash in the balance and apply it to one in the new area..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Because of this thread, I went down to my dealer, Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Flarda, to make inquiry about this issue. RPM One is the extended warranty company that they use. I asked if RPM One had transferability as was mentioned by the OP in this thread. I was advised that it was. I mentioned the issue that was raised here, and the salesman's response was that he could understand (IF) the spyder had an issue during extended warranty (AND) that this issue raised its ugly head again. In that given situation, he understood why you would need to go back to the original dealer. I proposed to him the hypothetical that I having RPM One and being past the manufacturer's warranty and into the RPM One warrnty AND having a breakdown say in Georgia or North Carolina, would I have to have my spyder fixed in Sanford. He said absolutely not. He said that RPM One would honor any warranty issue at a dealer other than where I had originally purchased my spyder, and thusly, the extended warranty insurance.

Perhaps I should get this in writing? You never know when these slick shyster lawyers get involved with these things. <smiles>

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I'm not mistaken the OP was speaking about a maintenance plan vs. an extended warranty.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the OP was speaking about a maintenance plan vs. an extended warranty.
    It appears that you are exactly right. However, I was unaware that RPM One provided a maintenance plan. Extended warranty yes, but maintenance plan? I'm not too sure about that. Perhaps we are comparing or talking about oranges to apples?

Chris

Spyder Garage

I was beginning to wonder about that. Maintenance Plan and Warranty are related, but different. If someone else was paid to do a job, would you want to do it? I may be all wet on this, but that seems to me what it boils down to. Ride safely, CH

Spyder Garage

Went and purchased my RPM One extended warranty today. 3 years in addition to the 2 year manufacturer's warranty. Basically means I'm insured for 4 more years. No deductible.

Chris