Spyder Garage

Question Cost of Garmin Zumo 660!

I am considering adding a GPS to my '12 RT-S and wonder if anyone can explain why the Garmin 660 is so expensive. There seem to be many units of different brands designed for cars that offer the same features that cost hundreds of $ less than the Garmin. I looked up the 660LM on the Garmin sight and it is $650!! Is there something special about this unit that makes the price that high?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by funon3 View Post
    I am considering adding a GPS to my '12 RT-S and wonder if anyone can explain why the Garmin 660 is so expensive. There seem to be many units of different brands designed for cars that offer the same features that cost hundreds of $ less than the Garmin. I looked up the 660LM on the Garmin sight and it is $650!! Is there something special about this unit that makes the price that high?
    Nope, other than including the harness and mount that fits the RT. Other than that, you can buy the Garmin you found at $650 (a new Garmin version is coming out soon, so the 660-665 will soon be obsolete) and get the BRP RT GPS harness kit from your dealer.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin vs iPad Mini

I use my iPad Mini for my GPS. Got a RAM mount, hooked it to the dash, works great.
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.

Spyder Garage

The Garmin 660 was designed for motorcycle use . . . It is weather-proof, a real plus. You can set it to larger letters, to use it while wearing gloves . . . a little time consuming, because, as you type in an address, the letters are larger, so there are five screens that you have to switch between (i.e., A through L, M-X, Y-Z, 0-9, and special characters). You can store custom routes. You can associate your blue tooth phone with it, and then associate your bluetooth headset in your helmet with it, and then you can hear the phone through Bluetooth in your helmet, as well as the Garmin. What you are paying for are some niceties designed for motorcycles. Do you need them all? Probably not . . . but they are handy. Especially the weatherproof part.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just got a Garmin 2595LMT at Walmart for $159.00 and it has Bluetooth. I have it installed on the top dash with a RAM mount and it works great. As far as waterproof goes.... baggies. I even have the Spyder RT icon that runs on the screen for it.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Nope, other than including the harness and mount that fits the RT. Other than that, you can buy the Garmin you found at $650 (a new Garmin version is coming out soon, so the 660-665 will soon be obsolete) and get the BRP RT GPS harness kit from your dealer.
    When Garmin comes out with a newer and better model it doesn't make the previous model obsolete. The Zumo 390LM has been out for quite some time already and they are still selling the 660-665 models.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    When Garmin comes out with a newer and better model it doesn't make the previous model obsolete. The Zumo 390LM has been out for quite some time already and they are still selling the 660-665 models.
    Just bought and installed the 665LM this includes the XM4 antennae. $750 on amazon plus $159 for BRP mount. I have a Garmin 550 with the XM3 antennae on the BMW RT. Hard to beat either one. XM4 antennae on the 665LM. These give you XM radio, WX and traffic, auto reroute for construction, wrecks or other traffic delays. Thunderstorm and tornado overlays plus strong wind overlays on screen. It has saved this old bacon many times. Once you use it you will never go back. When you spend $25k plus for the spyder and chinse on the gps and mount I have to wonder. Buying the best always pays off in the long run. Jack-----Garmin 530 in the Airplane.

Spyder Garage

The Zumo is the third GPS unit I have had for motorcycling. I started with using a Lowrance iWay 500. It was also waterproof, rugged enough for motorcycling and held 10 gigs of music. But it weighed about 5 pounds. Other than the weight I loved it. Next up I used a Garmin 765T. It was designed for cars, so not waterproof, and it did have the capability of playing music from a SD card. The lighter weight was great, but it went down at least three times now to the point that the aux output port does not work. After this last time I have given up on trying to keep it working. Since that particular model has done well in autos I attribute the problem to the unit not being designed to handle the rougher ride on a bike. The Zumo is designed for MC work so should be rugged enough to give you good service.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Just bought and installed the 665LM this includes the XM4 antennae. $750 on amazon plus $159 for BRP mount. I have a Garmin 550 with the XM3 antennae on the BMW RT. Hard to beat either one. XM4 antennae on the 665LM. These give you XM radio, WX and traffic, auto reroute for construction, wrecks or other traffic delays. Thunderstorm and tornado overlays plus strong wind overlays on screen. It has saved this old bacon many times. Once you use it you will never go back. When you spend $25k plus for the spyder and chinse on the gps and mount I have to wonder. Buying the best always pays off in the long run. Jack-----Garmin 530 in the Airplane.
    The 665LM should be an option on the Limited models. I have to use the phone for weather, and it is NOT waterproof. If you are buying one outright the 665 is a better choice.

Spyder Garage

I recommend the Nuvi 550 on EBay, which can be had for $100 or less, and with a lifetime map, it's as good as you need. It is waterproof, and has a touchscreen, about the same size as the Zumo 550. I have used one for years.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can always buy cheaper; then pay for it as the great price fails to deliver...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are some specific files that are available for the BRP version of the 660 that are not available through Garmin.
    BRP provides an srf file of the RT that you can choose as your vehicle icon. This is not available through the Garmin Garage.
    BRP also includes the POI file and icon so that you can quickly find Spyder Dealers when traveling.

Garmin's customer service is legendary. I've read posts where people have to go through BRP to get their GPS services with far less success.

In short, your best bet is to get the unit directly from Garmin. I'd go for the 665LM. Buy the mounting kit from BRP including the harness, or even ebay. The BRP kit has a connector that allows you to connect the GPS to the sound system on the Spyder.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default GPS files

Three wheels - do you have a link to the files,you mention below? I'd love to get the rt icon for my garmin!L
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Buy Cheaper

When you buy cheaper, but smart, you can get great quality, with good on line reviews, and replace it 5 times for the price of the not so up to date Garmin.

Spyder Garage

1+

The Zumo 600's are all too expensive for what you get. Just like the BRP trailer.... JMHO.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    1+

The Zumo 600's are all too expensive for what you get. Just like the BRP trailer.... JMHO.
    Mine came with my RT Limited . . . and it works great. I don't worry about the weather, don't have to wrap it in a zip lock bag, and can use it without taking off my gloves . . . but I wouldn't buy one for my cage . . . it has never rained in the cage!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Sygic for Me - Stand alones way too expensive and get obsolete

I could never figure out why so expensive either.

I opted for the RTS over the Limited because of what I considered overpriced add-ons the chief being the GPS.

I use my Samsung S3 with the Sygic App $29.95. I have a 7000 mah battery available on EBAY (yep that is not a misprint 7000 mah) which will run the S3 for several days. And anyone who owns a Samsung knows that as good as they are they are battery hogs.

I bought a Bores1 velcro mount which attaches to the center of the handle bars - $20 as I remember.

I also have Shark Blutooth headsets in both my helmet and my my wife's. $90 the pair on EBay.

So not counting the phone which is a 'sunk cost.' Total $150. Totally portable from platform to platform (phone to phone)

Completely integrated - I get phone calls and turn by turn on the Bluetooth in the helmet as well a two up intercom.

If it rains I stick it in my pocket - no visual but still turn by turn (and no temptation to take eyes off the road).

Not a fan of single purpose GPS
    Jim

Toy Collection:
    2013 RTS-SE5 Circuit Yellow
    2014 RT Shocks, Bajaron Sway Bar
    55 W HID Lights, 80 W LED Fog Lamps Yellow
    Ultimate TB Seat, Akrapovic Muffler
    SpyderPops Skid Plate, "Spyder" Rear Hub Caps
    Saddle Bag Scuff Protectors, Hopnel Tri-pouch
    Trunk IPod Carrier, Bores1 GPS mount, Rivco Flag Mount
    2008 Corvette Conv. Crystal Red/Cashmere Z-51
    1999 Fleetwood Discovery 36-T