Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimclarkf1 View Post
    I hope your thinking about SF-5, it's just across the pond.
    Thanks....but sorry I lost you there... what's SF-5?....

Spyder Garage

Default The cooling fan reversing circuitry is up and running...

... but I suspect that the cooling of the radiator using the fan in the reverse direction, that is, pushing the air through the radiator is not as efficient as pulling the air through it... there seems to be a lot of turbulence around the radiator when the fan is pushing the air through it... but I will put it to the test longer to see how well it copes... for the short test ride that I have taken the ... the temperature gauge doesn't seems to change much, BUT no more hot right foot issues... YES!!!

1390009213534.jpg1389415672921.jpg
    The picture on the left shows the relays mounted on a custom made bracket, the rightmost one is a switched power relay controlled by the ignition key, the leftmost one controls the direction of the cooling fan and the middle one?.... it controls the switching between analogue or digital fuel and coolant temperature gauge.... I can chose between these two using a rocker switch mounted on the top switch panel as shown on the right picture... the other rocker switch controls the cooling fan direction and also to override the temperature controlled relay for it...

Meanwhile my is doing fine so far, with only a minor glitch which I have resolved it myself... the glove box cover fails to lock and upon inspection, found that the cable has detached at the key lock side.... after removing some panels and re-attaching it... back to working order again...

Most probably will be going for my 1K kilometres service next month....

Spyder Garage

Wow ! I think you will get a lot of questions on how you reversed the fan ! You should post this as a new post .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

This has come up a couple of times with a lot of speculation on the outcome. It is my thoughts that the fan probably never comes on when moving at speed as the natural air flow is going to move enough air. Please post your results so we will know how it turns out. I started a thread yesterday with the question of reversing the fan.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Wow ! I think you will get a lot of questions on how you reversed the fan ! You should post this as a new post .
    Thanks, but I think I just add on to the thread by Stanproff instead of starting a new one, makes reading for others easier rather than jumping here and there....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    This has come up a couple of times with a lot of speculation on the outcome. It is my thoughts that the fan probably never comes on when moving at speed as the natural air flow is going to move enough air. Please post your results so we will know how it turns out. I started a thread yesterday with the question of reversing the fan.
    I will post some photos of my installation and a schematic wiring diagram when it is ready on your thread and also on-going ride report....

Spyder Garage

It's been a while since I update this thread, I have been busy fine tuning my fan reversing system as per my posts in "fan reversal"....

Anyway, just went for my 1K kms service, cost me S$250, I was expecting the dealer to perform a thorough check by connecting the Spyder to the BUDS system but no, just oil and filters changed and also a casual check on the coolant level.... if it wasn't a pre-condition that the Spyder must be serviced by the dealer so as not to invalid the warranty, I would have done it myself....

On my way back home after the service, for the first time since I got my Spyder, I met a fellow Spyder ryder, a GS or RS on the opposite lane.... pity I was rushing to my next appointment, didn't have a chance to chat with him...

My Spyder is running fine so far, will update further if something crops up or after I have installed the air flow switch for my "system" above....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam View Post
    ... was a harrowing experience for me and my wife... the stalled barely 30m from where it was parked, and I have to hurriedly remember how to start it when it is in gear.... after restarting it and managed to move onto the main road, I have to mentally remember to change up the gears at 5K rpm... then I approached the first corner on the road and went in too fast... and panic... we both nearly got thrown off the ....thank goodness for VSS... from then on I take it real slow and easy, hardly getting out of third gear... then the sky opens up suddenly and it rain cats and dogs, and we were both thoroughly soaked before we had a chance to stop and put on our rain gears... and we just carry on since we were already wet... then we reached the first stop light and the cooling fan turns on and blast out a barrage of steam from the right vent... the cars around us thought that our was burning up... after that, reached home and hit the sack, and I was wondering what sort of beast have I got myself?....
    Maybe like the Ogre-Faced Spider in Singapore?
    http://www.weather.com/news/science/...tiful-20130813

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam View Post
    It's been a while since I update this thread, I have been busy fine tuning my fan reversing system as per my posts in "fan reversal"....

Anyway, just went for my 1K kms service, cost me S$250, I was expecting the dealer to perform a thorough check by connecting the Spyder to the BUDS system but no, just oil and filters changed and also a casual check on the coolant level.... if it wasn't a pre-condition that the Spyder must be serviced by the dealer so as not to invalid the warranty, I would have done it myself....

On my way back home after the service, for the first time since I got my Spyder, I met a fellow Spyder ryder, a GS or RS on the opposite lane.... pity I was rushing to my next appointment, didn't have a chance to chat with him...

My Spyder is running fine so far, will update further if something crops up or after I have installed the air flow switch for my "system" above....
    Your dealer is shortchanging you. The maintenance schedule has specific tasks that are to be performed, including hooking to BUDS. If he did not perform them, you might want to search for another dealer who will do the job right. The tasks are in your owners manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Maybe like the Ogre-Faced Spider in Singapore?
    http://www.weather.com/news/science/...tiful-20130813
    No thanks, those spiders gave me the creeps.... luckily the black widow and the brown recluse spiders are rare over here....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer is shortchanging you. The maintenance schedule has specific tasks that are to be performed, including hooking to BUDS. If he did not perform them, you might want to search for another dealer who will do the job right. The tasks are in your owners manual.
    I do not have a choice.... they are the ONLY authorised dealer in my country.... and if I did the servicing elsewhere, they will not be liable for any future warranty claims.... furthermore, other workshops will not have the proper equipment (BUDS) to service the Spyder... come to think of it, they may not have BUDS themselves.....

Spyder Garage

1389416240961.jpg1389416261590.jpgOh yeah, forgot to mention that the cable that locks the glove lid came off at the handlebar side again.... but this time after putting it back on, I use a cable tie to secure it so that it will not pop off again....

One other modification that I did is to make a spring latch to secure the glove lid when it is opened so that it will not come crashing down at any slight movement of the Spyder.... the original catch is too weak to hold the lid up, and any minor jerking will cause the lid to crash down, sometimes onto the back of my hand.... and when you need to close the lid, just push the latch inward against the left radius arm as shown in the pictures above....

Spyder Garage

Default Lowest mileage for a tank of gas.... 220...

.... kilometres, not miles..... took 23 litres to full tank, that means 2 litres un-usable.... luckily the Spyder was at home when it happen... the story goes like this.... low fuel light came on, and as usual, carry on riding until the last bar on the digital display disappear, was on my way home where there is a gas station nearby.... then half a kilometre from home, it starts to rain and I thought, what the heck I can always fill her up on the way to work tomorrow morning, not worth getting wet going to the gas station now.... and I went straight home and shuts down the Spyder.... and yes, you guess right, the Spyder wouldn't start the next morning!...

Well, that's the experience I had with my Spyder so far, nothing serious.... the only thing that seems to be failing is the frunk opening switch, it sometimes take a few tries before it releases the latch.... have to take a look when I have the time....

Spyder Garage

Default Really busy this few weeks and more to come....

.... but I thought I better put in some insight in riding the for the past few weeks before I forgets.... so far nothing seriously wrong with mine, thank goodness.... but opening the frunk using the switch is not possible now, could be the solenoid or the switch itself, and I do not have the time to take a look myself nor bring to the shop.... also, broke the radio antennae the other day... arghhhh.... was exiting the carpark and the gantry came back down too soon.... luckily it broke at the base and I managed to trim it off, added a quick release coupling to it and the base, and I now have a quick release antennae which I can removed when using the canvas to cover the ..... I have thought of a lot of modifications to be done, but do not have the time to do it ..... yet.... until next time.... cheers...

Spyder Garage

Default Getting the hang of it now....

You really need to cover more miles on the to get comfortable on it.... mine just clear 2K kms a couple of days ago and now I really feel good on it... I think one of the reasons I'm taking a longer time and mileage to really get used to the is because I'm also riding a conventional 2 wheel motorcycle on a regular basis.... I have also managed to trace the problem of the frunk opening to the switch, and rigged up another switch to bypass it for the time being until I have enough time to take it apart.... I have also moved the wind deflectors under the mirrors outward by about 40mm, the gap in between will allow cooling air to flow pass the top vents behind the wind deflectors.... helps to make the runs cooler as observed by some riders here after reading their posts..... my own observations also concurs but instead of buying the adjustable ones from accessories, I make my own.... I will post pictures when I have taken them..... the next thing to do is to install ventilation fans to suck hot air from the brake master cylinder area.... stay tuned....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers!

Spyder Garage

Thanks...

Spyder Garage

Default Pictures of the extended wind deflectors

Spyder Garage

Default and ventilation fans to extract hot air to the rear....

DSC_0091.jpgDSC_0090.jpgDSC_0089.jpgHopefully it will reduce the temperature at the brake master pump area somewhat...

Spyder Garage

Default Improvement to the above....

DSC_0100.jpgDSC_0101.jpgDSC_0102.jpgDSC_0103.jpg
    As the pictures above show, I have added a ducting to the rear of the fans so as to direct the hot air from the brake master cylinder area to the rear and also downwards.... the fans are quite effective in drawing the hot air backwards but it also tends to heat up the rear of the especially the right hand storage area..... thus the addition of the ducting... and it works!.... after taking the for a few trips, the panels around that area feels less hot than before.... it still feel warm to the touch but not scalding as before and placing your hand below the ducting while the fans are running, you can feel warm air coming out of it.... the fans run whenever the key is switched on.... more to come....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Would you share the make/model of the fans you used? That looks like an outstanding modification!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default More ventilation fans....

DSC_0156.jpgDSC_0157.jpgDSC_0155.jpg
    I have also added 2 more fans (one on each side) below the top vents to draw hot air from the engine compartment.... this 2 fans are wired to the air flow switch (see under "fan reversal") so that it runs whenever the speed of the falls below about 40 km/h...when above this speed, the fans stops and external airflow takes over....

With the addition of all this methods, fans, extended air deflectors and riding the for a few trips now, I do feel that it is not as hot as before.... and it is not a phys**ological (arghhhh... how do you spell this word anyway!!!???) feeling.... when the fans are running, you can feel warm air coming out.... even the glove compartment feels less hot now....

Anyway, sidetrack from above, my gear shifting is a bit less smooth than normal recently, and upon checking the oil level, found that it is a bit just above the "ADD" mark..... topping it up to "FULL" makes a lot of difference!.... the gear shifting is a lot smoother... must remember to check frequently.... so far for now....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Would you share the make/model of the fans you used? That looks like an outstanding modification!
    Thanks, the smaller fans are actually cooling fans taken from PC power supply units and runs on 12V DC, the size is 40mm square and it fits perfectly in the space beside the panel and the fuel tank, I did not record down the make/model of the fans but any similarly sized fans that runs on 12V DC will work... I check it out and let you know...

Spyder Garage

Default I'm back....

Sorry folks.... didn't realize that I have not post any updates for a few months now.... being busy with work and everything else... but like the saying goes.... no news is good news..... meaning my is running well so far, and so is all the modifications done on it to remove the excessive heat from under the tupperware....

Managed to get some time off and went for a really long ride.... in local speak, it means crossing the border into our neighbor territory up north..... and found out a few things about the ..... maximum speed I could reach, two up with lugguage is only about 170 kmph... it may be able to reach higher but takes time.... riding at a constant 150 to 160 kmph speed, it guzzles gas.... to be on the safe side I need to top up way before the 200 kms mark!.... but the get us there, fresh and ready for the trip back....

After coming back, went to my dealer workshop for my second oil change at 4500 kms.... the mechanic there was impressed with all the mods that I have done on the to reduce the heat and I took the opportunity to ask him about the BRP recall letter that I received sometime last month and he says that the recall involves installing a sort of relay to control the existing coolant fan... the relay will cause the fan to run at a slow speed most of the time, increasing speed when higher coolant temperature is reached... I think their aim is to reduce the normal operating temperature of the engine.... there may be something more but he didn't divulge anything else and I don't want to probe further.... well, whether it works or not we will have to wait and see....

Spyder Garage

Wow.... didn't realise I have been away for more than 6 months!... well, just sent my RT in for the recall (finally), will collect back this Sat.... and I will get to feel first hand the difference.... and also heard from my dealer that they will no longer bring in RT models into the country as our transport department has ban it!.... even the F3 models are still pending approval for sale.... my 2013 RT is among the last to be registered here.... sigh!.... that means I can't up grade to the 14's or later.... double sigh!....