Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default across the USA on my rs

This summer wife and I will be taking the spyder from central Ohio to Boise Idaho. Its a trip I am just now starting to plan and I am looking forward to it! This will be the first long trip we have taken and any advice will be great.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How long will you be gone and are you taking a trailer?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time is very limited I will have a about 10 days to do this and no trailer.....just me and the wife

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    Time is very limited I will have a about 10 days to do this and no trailer.....just me and the wife
    on the rs with no trailer you and the wife will be visiting the laundromat frequently! have fun though.saddlebags just don't hold enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    on the rs with no trailer you and the wife will be visiting the laundromat frequently! have fun though.saddlebags just don't hold enough.
    I'm cool ryding a little dirty

Spyder Garage

If you're out that way, you almost have to take time to visit the Black Hills. Sounds like a fun trip. Good Luck

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So with a limited amount of time you will need to do some pretty extensive planning. You'll also have to stick to your schedule if you want to get all the way there and back in 10 days so that will mean you'll most likely be riding in some crappy weather. So good rain gear is a must.

It looks to be about 4,000 miles round trip in 10 days that is pretty aggressive for your first long trip. Are you planning on doing sightseeing along the way or is there something in Boise that you are doing? 400 mile days are not bad but stringing 10 of them could get rough especially for your wife. If you haven't done that distance in a day you might want to take a weekend and give it a try. If you need to go further each day you will want to test yourself at that distance. For me 450 miles a day is easy and 800 is doable but only for a couple of days in a row.

I like to take those laundry detergent things they are easy to pack along with some dryer sheets and maybe a roll of quarters. You won't have to waste money on overpriced detergent at your hotel. Pack for 3 to 5 days then do laundry.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Tight..!!

kinda revolves around the distance you and the wife can do in a day...as calculated above you will have to do 400 miles a day. My wife and I have done short trips with 450/500 miles but your pretty beat. Give yourself time to stretch, walk a bit, sit for your meals and hydrate. We never preset our destinations for the day (where to stay) just find them along the way when we are ready. Carry snacks for view point stops, drinks as well. Pack light clothes and layer. Wet gear for sure. Enjoy yourselves and don't push yourselves just to stay on a schedule...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default seeing my little brother

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So with a limited amount of time you will need to do some pretty extensive planning. You'll also have to stick to your schedule if you want to get all the way there and back in 10 days so that will mean you'll most likely be riding in some crappy weather. So good rain gear is a must.

It looks to be about 4,000 miles round trip in 10 days that is pretty aggressive for your first long trip. Are you planning on doing sightseeing along the way or is there something in Boise that you are doing? 400 mile days are not bad but stringing 10 of them could get rough especially for your wife. If you haven't done that distance in a day you might want to take a weekend and give it a try. If you need to go further each day you will want to test yourself at that distance. For me 450 miles a day is easy and 800 is doable but only for a couple of days in a row.

I like to take those laundry detergent things they are easy to pack along with some dryer sheets and maybe a roll of quarters. You won't have to waste money on overpriced detergent at your hotel. Pack for 3 to 5 days then do laundry.
    I have a 2012 with 23000 miles so I know I can do 300 miles a day and I have good rain gear and have been in the rain a lot. Going to get airhawk cushions to help with the comfort level.....and tons of pre rydes this spring. I hope as time gets closer i will be able to get a little more time off work!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 with 23000 miles so I know I can do 300 miles a day and I have good rain gear and have been in the rain a lot. Going to get airhawk cushions to help with the comfort level.....and tons of pre rydes this spring. I hope as time gets closer i will be able to get a little more time off work!
    Once you get your basic route planned, I bet that the local experts will chime in with some ideas of what to see along the way. An adventurous trip, with consecutive 400 mile days--but you know your capabilities. Keep us posted. Half the fun during the winter is the planning of an upcoming adventure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

WOW That's a quick trip! My wife and I are planning on going to Charleston SC and visiting Spyderfest along the way. We will have a trailer by then. We are planning 9 days each way averaging a little over 300 miles a day. Not sure if wife will fly back so she can get back to work. Thinking of 25 to 30 days. So 10 days round trip will be a fast turn around. Good luck and be safe.
    Last edited by Showie; 12-17-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

A couple ideas. Zip lock bags, ones with a zipper. Pack each days teeshirt/socks/underwear in each bag. Squezze air out. At motel, Take clean out, dirty in. Anything you can takes up less space this way. I found many motels have a laundry room, if you ask, or sometimes, they will let you do some anyway. As said, quarters and laundry sheet (ziplock) should be taken. Might be space verus money for detergent.

Pre ride some distant trips to see if you can take the pressure. Ride circle routes around your town, stop at your motel (Home) using only stuff on the Spyder, then continue your "trip".

I would think a back rest/sissy bar would be manditory. Maybe a pack on the back of the sissy bar.

there are/will be lots of other good ideas on here

Most of all. Have Be safe.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

so far pretty good info.....when we worked we did lots of trips doing 400++ miles a day.....you do what you got to do.....if visiting in Boise...ship extra stuff you might need there...then ship home.....wear a pair of jeans...take a pair of jeans....jeans are good for 3/4 days...3/4 t-shirts...good for 2 days each....sleep clothes...pair of flip flops...pair of shorts to wear in evening and when washing clothes....small bottles of toiletries ....quarters/soap for laundry.....and of course rain gear....don't over plan your trip just do it.....have fun ....good luck

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the brp sport rack with back rest I hope to hang a bag on the back of it and I will check Amazon for a tank bag. Will be putting a 12 power outlet by the handle bars for cell and GPS ..... with the wet gear I hope not cold gear everything in sealed bags and even a guart of oil. Maps from every state are on order so as the route comes together I will post more. I thank everyone for there posts

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just take the Platinum card, a couple of toothbrushes, and a camera...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just take the Platinum card, a couple of toothbrushes, and a camera...
    Says the man who never leaves home!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She won't give up the card...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default great trip

One thing nobody has mentioned yet. The gas mileage.If you are going to ride 800 miles a day,you will be stopping about 7 or 8 times for fuel.Half hour at each stop and there goes about 4 or 5 hours out of your day.How do I know? Last June we had our summer trip all planned out.12 of our buddies and the Red Head were shipping our bikes to LasVagas,flying out and then taking 15 days to ride home.The first of June the Red Head screwed that up by buying a 2013 RTS se5 and said if I wanted her to go,we would take the Spyder.The Spyder wouldn't fit on the truck with the other 12 bikes so Poor Me,I had to ride out.Don't you feel sorry for me.I have done 1000 mile days in the past so 2000 miles to Vages.Two days I will be there.It was just me a alone.After all those gas stops,it took three days.So just keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time off the road.Have a great trip and enjoy the ride.You can do it!!!!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This summer wife and I will be taking the spyder from central Ohio to Boise Idaho. Its a trip I am just now starting to plan and I am looking forward to it! This will be the first long trip we have taken and any advice will be great.
    Good luck, the RS is a sport/touring bike
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pyder+triangle
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Good luck, the RS is a sport/touring bike
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pyder+triangle
    And you did this? All I can say is

Spyder Garage

Last summer we decided to do our first long trip. We had made several 300 to 350 miles day trips so we felt we were ready.We bought saddlebags and bungied on a pretty large bag to the backrest. We actually had good storage for all types of weather if needed and two to three days clothing.We took off and made 350 miles the first day and 450 the second. It was a 2000 mile trip in 6 days. In the heat of the summer it just flat wore out my arthritic old body. I've got all the floorboards, and risers and stuff but the days became difficult due to pain. I just plain overestimated how far I could comfortably go in a day after day situation and wish I had taken more time.
    If I had it would have been a far more enjoyable trip. At least I now know my limitations. I hope you have fun and the tips others have given are excellent advice.
    My 2011 RSS SM5 Mods all self installed: Spyder Detailing Graphics, Madstad, Kewlmetal risers, Rivco Driver Floorboards, Evoluzione Sway Bar, 25" Touring Windshield, 2010 RT Shocks, Hindle Exhaust, Isci Handbrake, Kurakyn Grips , Rivco Passenger Floorboards, Tricled fender tips and fender lights. Rivco license plate flag holder. BRP backrest. ESI tail light lens.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Take time

visit Yellowstone !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    If you're out that way, you almost have to take time to visit the Black Hills. Sounds like a fun trip. Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Last summer we decided to do our first long trip. We had made several 300 to 350 miles day trips so we felt we were ready.We bought saddlebags and bungied on a pretty large bag to the backrest. We actually had good storage for all types of weather if needed and two to three days clothing.We took off and made 350 miles the first day and 450 the second. It was a 2000 mile trip in 6 days. In the heat of the summer it just flat wore out my arthritic old body. I've got all the floorboards, and risers and stuff but the days became difficult due to pain. I just plain overestimated how far I could comfortably go in a day after day situation and wish I had taken more time.
    If I had it would have been a far more enjoyable trip. At least I now know my limitations. I hope you have fun and the tips others have given are excellent advice.
    The back to back to back is what makes the big difference. I'm sorry your trip was less than wonderful but like you say you now know your limitations.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

get cash, pick a direction, ride out, stop when gut tells you to stop, you'll end up hanging out @ cool places with cool people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]