Spyder Garage

Default NO AIR IN REAR SHOCK--CAN IT BE RIDDEN

I have a problem with my automatic air suspension on a 2010 RT. It will no hold air and keeps blowing the fuse. My question is, can it be ridden 120 miles to the dealership without doing any damage to the rear suspension?? It would be mostly fairly smooth interstate highway.

Thanks
    BigLefty

Spyder Garage

Yes you can ride it , it would be the same as when the suspension depletes the air on 2012 the upper left relay in the front trunk is the air suspension relay

Spyder Garage

Default Yep...battled the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by BigLefty View Post
    I have a problem with my automatic air suspension on a 2010 RT. It will no hold air and keeps blowing the fuse. My question is, can it be ridden 120 miles to the dealership without doing any damage to the rear suspension?? It would be mostly fairly smooth interstate highway.

Thanks
    BigLefty
    I also ryde a 2010 RT...rear shock would never hold air...even had it replaced under warranty....I put over 55k miles without...finally invested in the auto system that keeps it inflated and adjusts depending on weight on passenger seat...so ryde and enjoy the "bumps"....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

not a great ryde, just take the long straight smooth roads....helps a bit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Have you tried to manually inflate it? Does it still lose air then? Obviously it needs to get to the dealer but take the smoothest road because riding with no air can damage the air bag ( if it isn't already). Mine leaked slowly and I had it fixed it hasn't leaked again. I did not need to install the auto air control nor do it want to as you see it can be one of those things that breaks. I never wanted power windows in a car until you pretty much can't buy one without them. If your fuse is blowing it sounds like the air pump is shot and there are a lot of threads on that happening and possible rebuild options if you are mechanically inclined. If it still leaks after manual inflation you may also have air valve issues. Did you notice it constantly turning on before it died or was it all of a sudden? Don't be shocked but the compressor is $329 + labor to replace. Below is a video on how to try and fix it on your own and a possible replacement.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=mickay

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=pump
    Last edited by Magdave; 12-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

It is not a good idea to ride the Spyder too much with no air in the air bag. Doing so will cause premature wear on the air bag and possible failure. A short trip or two probably won't kill it, however. I would suggest pulling the fuse (or leaving the blown one in place) to disable the system, then fill through the Schrader valve to precharge to air bag. For a solo rider 30-50 psi should be plenty. If the air bag, piping, and air release valve are all intact, the system should not leak down. If it does, you have other things to address besides the cause of the blown fuses.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I also ryde a 2010 RT...rear shock would never hold air...even had it replaced under warranty....I put over 55k miles without...finally invested in the auto system that keeps it inflated and adjusts depending on weight on passenger seat...so ryde and enjoy the "bumps"....
    My 2012 RT Never held air for long (Manual) with 8,000 miles I just ride it.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    My 2012 RT Never held air for long (Manual) with 8,000 miles I just ride it.
    Mine would lose 5lb a week not a big leak but still I went in under warranty and had it fixed. They replaced the lines and it holds steady...for now. I tightened the shrader valve before that which did lessen the leak a little, it was worse. Mine is a manual fill too.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Be Careful

be careful when you manually fill it. using a standard high pressure pump will get it over 100 lbs in a second or two and also damage the bag. I found a small bicycle pump with the proper fitting to work best.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for you comments and suggestions. I also have a little more information. I have tried the manual operation by adding 30-40 PSI thru the valve under the seat, but the system leaks down to nothing within a few minutes. That along with the fact that the fuse instantly blows when engine is running and transmission is shifted into gear, leads me to believe that the solenoid valve that normally bleeds off pressure as-needed and after the Spyder is turned off is "stuck" and causing both problems--air leak and fuse blowing. Several others have mentioned a "stuck" bleed-off valve could be the cause.

Trailered the Spyder to the dealership this afternoon--will report back on the findings

Thanks
    again!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLefty View Post
    Thanks for you comments and suggestions. I also have a little more information. I have tried the manual operation by adding 30-40 PSI thru the valve under the seat, but the system leaks down to nothing within a few minutes. That along with the fact that the fuse instantly blows when engine is running and transmission is shifted into gear, leads me to believe that the solenoid valve that normally bleeds off pressure as-needed and after the Spyder is turned off is "stuck" and causing both problems--air leak and fuse blowing. Several others have mentioned a "stuck" bleed-off valve could be the cause.

Trailered the Spyder to the dealership this afternoon--will report back on the findings

Thanks
    again!!
    Sounds like you have it nailed since it isn't holding air manually. Shorted bleed valve is a good guess.