Spyder Garage

Default Imagine the Farkling!

Imagine the Farkling you could do with this!

Pretty neat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=565055363564321

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I've seen them do gunstocks with that process . . . pretty amazing! wood grain, flames, just about anything you can imagine!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Question

Hey Bob, what is this? Some of us don't facebook.....heck I try to keep shaving down to once a week....can't face the mirror more than that

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Sorry the video was posted by someone else on facebook and is not a youtube video. Sorry.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

you mean this???? there was a thread just a week or so about it ...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks to be a great viable option to wraps or traditional painting. I even found someone who does it in my neck of the woods. I had thought about carbon fiber rims for my GS, and they list ATV wheels at $50/ea and Car/truck wheels at $75/ea...seems very reasonable to me.

Here is a price list (Sacramento Hydrographics) of items commonly used in the water transfer printing process:

http://www.sacramentohydrographics.com/pricing/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks to be a great viable option to wraps or traditional painting. I even found someone who does it in my neck of the woods. I had thought about carbon fiber rims for my GS, and they list ATV wheels at $50/ea and Car/truck wheels at $75/ea...seems very reasonable to me.

Here is a price list (Sacramento Hydrographics) of items commonly used in the water transfer printing process:

http://www.sacramentohydrographics.com/pricing/

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default no go

Wanted to get done some parts on my Spyder by this method, did my home work and found out that although it's a cool idea it is for stuff you never really gonna touch almost - very sensitive for scratches and easily damageable.
    Guy explained it to me like this: - if you want it for show only - go ahead, if you want it for out door use - do not waste your money , especially on wheels. Do you remember these water ( i licked mines ) stickers/tattoos from chewing gums? - that's what it is. It's not a paint of any kind, it's a foil of almost un-measurable/explainable/comparable thinness with water activated glue coating. Some things are just too good to be sound in everyday use. :-(
    Vinyl wrap on wheels works excellent, you do it yourself and it costs you as much as $5,- a wheel and if it get damaged or you just bored of it - peel it off and leave it or wrap again, good protection from flying debris too
    Only my 2c

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

but it is cool process. They may get better in time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Wonder how much the durability would be inhanced if clear coat was applied? Just a thought.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default What is HydroGraphics?

Hydrographics or HydroGraphics, also known as immersion printing, water transfer printing, water transfer imaging, cubic printing, or hydro dipping, is a method of applying printed designs to three-dimensional objects. The hydrographic process can be used on metal, plastic, glass, hard woods, and various other materials. In the process, the substrate piece to be printed is pre-treated and a base coat material is applied. A polyvinyl alcohol film is gravure-printed with the graphic image to be transferred, and is then floated on the surface of a vat of water. An activator chemical is sprayed on the film to dissolve it into a liquid and activate a bonding agent. The piece is then lowered into the vat, through the floating ink layer, which wraps around and adheres to it. After removing the piece from the water, a top coat is applied to protect the design. With multiple dippings, hydrographics printing can achieve full 360° coverage of the part surface, including small crevices.[1]

[1]From Wikipedia
    What can be “Dipped”?

Any object that can be painted and submerged in water can have water transfer printing applied. Many items that you use today are hydro dipped without you even recognizing it.
    From bicycle helmets to wood grain interiors on vehicles, interiors on boats and planes where weight is a consideration. Other items that are becoming increasingly popular are street bikes, all-terrain-vehicles, hunting rifles and related gear.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting...the local website I found not only says clearcoat is applied during the process (after dipping) but they also claim it is as durable as automotive paint. I am not qualified to comment from experience, but I have to say there is definitely some discrepancy with the durability claims. Just to be sure, id want to wait until I could talk to someone who has had it done and it has been on their "daily use item" for a while. DragonLord...I appreciate your shared comments as they give me perspective on what looked like the next greatest thing since sliced bread. Still a real cool process though :-)