Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I hate greasing the front fittings

Recently did an oil/filter change (every 4K) and I always grease .....or attempt to grease....the front fittings. 2 or 3 of the eight fittings take grease and rest won't, despite pushing the nozzle in as hard as possible.

I
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Recently did an oil/filter change (every 4K) and I always grease .....or attempt to grease....the front fittings. 2 or 3 of the eight fittings take grease and rest won't, despite pushing the nozzle in as hard as possible.

I
    They can definitely be a bear. I've take to using full synthetic grease from Amsoil. Synthetic grease is much thinner than regular bearing grease. That lets it get into tight places better and I've found it easier to lube those pesky A-Arm bushings on the Spyder.

It also lubricates better.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

If I remember correctly....it was sometime ago. Someone discovered the threaded portion of the zerk was longer than the debth of what it was being screwed into. End result was the zerk bottoming out on the bushing. Might take a look, and if that's the case. Relieve a little of their length.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I didn't even know there were grease fittings. lol

Good thing I only have 800 miles on my bike so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    If I remember correctly....it was sometime ago. Someone discovered the threaded portion of the zerk was longer than the debth of what it was being screwed into. End result was the zerk bottoming out on the bushing. Might take a look, and if that's the case. Relieve a little of their length.
    Excellent idea; that may be the problem. On those that take grease it takes a firm pump but on those that won't you know the first pump as its so easy. I'll pull some and check the depth as I replace them all a long time ago with aftemarket types I could more easily get the grease gun fitting onto.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I didn't even know there were grease fittings. lol

Good thing I only have 800 miles on my bike so far.
    I greased mine at 600 miles with synthetic grease from BRP.

Spyder Garage

lol I better look for them then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    I greased mine at 600 miles with synthetic grease from BRP.
    Did you find a nozzle for your grease gun that fit over the top of the zerks? On mine the BRP zerks stuck straight up and after buying two or three nozzles for my grease gun that snapped on over these, and none worked, I removed the upright zerks and put in some 45 or 90 degree type that I could use a regular straight push on nozzle. Some of the zerks were nearly impossible to get out/in and I hesitate to even fool with them again, but if I can find a nozzle that fits over the OEM zerks, I'd put them back in instead of fiddling with my replacements.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Two or three grease gun nozzles?

My grease gun has a twist nozzle fitting on the end, it adjust to many types of zerks.

Never ran across one it hasn't fit yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Two or three grease gun nozzles?

My grease gun has a twist nozzle fitting on the end, it adjust to many types of zerks.

Never ran across one it hasn't fit yet.
    Have never seen anything like that at NAPA, Tractor Supply, or auto stores. If you know where to get one, I'd apprec some info.

Edited: Looked it up on Amazon and found what you're talking about plus some other types of "couplers" (not nozzles as I've been calling them). Had I thought to do this two years ago before going through the aggravation of the other couplers and then changing out the zerks, I'd be way ahead of the game! DUH.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 12-06-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

It's the only type grease gun I've ever seen?

Guns at auto parts stores, Lowes, Sears, etc etc are all the same?

you just twist the end of the nozzle to fit the zerk and/or even tighten it on the zerk so it doesn't fall off.

Spyder Garage

I bought right angle zerks but when I went to change them there is no room to install them unless I take the A-arm off the bike. I may be able to get them drop enough if I pull the shock and disconnect the sway bar, any one know?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I bought right angle zerks but when I went to change them there is no room to install them unless I take the A-arm off the bike. I may be able to get them drop enough if I pull the shock and disconnect the sway bar, any one know?

Thanks
    ??? I installed 45-degree ones in all locations except the upper rear left where a 90-degree worked better. Not much room for your hands, if that's what you mean, but it can be done. Just a little cursing is all it takes. The real trick is getting them oriented the right direction when they are tight. I bought three times as many as I needed and just kept trying one after the other until I got one that screwed up tight and was pointing the right direction in each of the eight locations.

As for depth, I think the both OEM's and my replacements are fine as the shoulders of the fitting are tight against the arm; the shoulders are what stops it from threading in any further, not the bottoming out of the fitting. Unless they both happen to be hitting at the same time and I can't tell that.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

My 90's won't even turn, they hit on the way around. I will have to take another look.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 12-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Did you find a nozzle for your grease gun that fit over the top of the zerks? On mine the BRP zerks stuck straight up and after buying two or three nozzles for my grease gun that snapped on over these, and none worked, I removed the upright zerks and put in some 45 or 90 degree type that I could use a regular straight push on nozzle. Some of the zerks were nearly impossible to get out/in and I hesitate to even fool with them again, but if I can find a nozzle that fits over the OEM zerks, I'd put them back in instead of fiddling with my replacements.
    I used a 90 degree grease coupler/nozzle that I bought from Napa #715-1259 also I have a battery powered grease gun (Lincoln), so I only needed one hand to press the trigger on the grease gun while holding the nozzle tight to the grease fitting with the other hand....Helps to get the front end up a little. Not easy but doable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    My 90's won't even turn, the hit on the way around. I will have to take another look.
    Now I understand what you're saying. My fittings are no problem at all. Different design with a shorter "arm", I don't know.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone tried one of these.

This looks like it will work. So before I go out and buy one has anyone tried one of these?

grease coupler.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy, thats the type I tried at first and eventually bought two from different places locally. Neither worked for me. Grease squirted all over and one got hung up on the zerk and in process of removing it, along with considerable skin off my hand, it ripped out the nylon thingie that was inside it. Thats why I went with the 45 & 90's but as mentioned in my initial post, they ain't working so well either. I've just got to get at them but it kills my knees and back so I've been reluctant to mess with them again.

I'm considering pulling the front wheels off and removing the Frunk in order to have more elbow room to work on them. Might go on my winter list of "roundtuits".

Perhaps the above coupler is of better quality and if it is, it would make greasing the OEM's easy. Worth a try anyway.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    This looks like it will work. So before I go out and buy one has anyone tried one of these?

grease coupler.jpg

I went and bought one of these thanks to the advice on this forum but wouldnt ya know the advice left out of most of those threads is that for the zerts that really need this fitting you need to grind the tip down a bit to get the clearance you need. If you have a grinder, great, if your like me, wasted money.

Ive since found a different fitting Ill try next time.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket Product

I to have difficulty greasing the front fittings, the only way it works for me is to remove the "Frunk". I have purchased several assortments of fittings trying to find the right threads and thread length, not much luck here.

It would be nice if one of the site venders would package a set of 90 degree quality fittings that fit and offer them for sale. Up to the task BajaRon?

(Package them with a tube of quality grease)
    Last edited by Frank G; 12-07-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

This is what I use. Works great on the OEM zerks. You do have to get it on correctly. But that is true of any grease tip.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is what I use. Works great on the OEM zerks. You do have to get it on correctly. But that is true of any grease tip.

Where do we get one? The one I have is slightly different and does not work well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Where do we get one? The one I have is slightly different and does not work well.
    I also would like to know

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Auto Zone THEXTON/Right angled grease adapter

Part Number: THX418

About $11.00

Spyder Garage

Like I said in my other post, be prepared to grind the tip down. I don't know how bajaron did it but in my experience the zerts that really need this fitting also don't have clearance for the extra 1/4 inch or so on the tip.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi