Thread: mpg...wow!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default mpg...wow!

I have a 2012 rs se5 which I love! I usually get 26-31 mpg depending on how hard I am on it.....long story short I took a 200 mile ryde yesterday on one tank of gas: 36.4 mpg I have never gotten this ever and I have 22600 miles on it. I don't no what I did different but I love it...192.2 miles on 5.3 gallons of gas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love to see that on mine. You may need to fill up 5 times to get the real average mpg.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your engine may start to run too lean...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    I have a 2012 rs se5 which I love! I usually get 26-31 mpg depending on how hard I am on it.....long story short I took a 200 mile ryde yesterday on one tank of gas: 36.4 mpg I have never gotten this ever and I have 22600 miles on it. I don't no what I did different but I love it...192.2 miles on 5.3 gallons of gas

You did real well. I am happy with my usual 30 to 31 mpg. And yes, I check it every fill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You did real well. I am happy with my usual 30 to 31 mpg. And yes, I check it every fill.
    I do the same so to see that number made me real happy

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RS SM5 and I get between 31-34 mpg on the average (unless I ride it hard).

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Your engine may start to run too lean...
    that's funny...cause that is what I was thinking...I was getting 36mpg all the time when Mark pulled my rear plug and it was powder white....

I sure hope that's not hchays has...just good mpg...were you riding down hill?

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

your ryding conditions may have changed. The temp and wind. Climb vs decent I average 31-33 mpg but have gone as high as 38 and as low as 25. Depends on where and when I'm ryding. But it sure is nice to see that once in a while...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default up and down hills

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    that's funny...cause that is what I was thinking...I was getting 36mpg all the time when Mark pulled my rear plug and it was powder white....

I sure hope that's not hchays has...just good mpg...were you riding down hill?
    I was on a lot of back roads...up and down left and right....state route 555 one of the best roads I've been on the tank before I got 28 mpg so maybe I was just taking it easy enjoying the ryde

Spyder Garage

My best mileage (34 mpg) was achieved running at 30-40 mph in 2nd and third gear. A scenic drive on some twisties.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was running a little faster then that...up and down the gears 555 and 668 are a blast to ryde but I was easy on and off the gas. Still great numbers to see and I hope I get a lot more like that!

Spyder Garage

That's great, my best is 44.6 my overall average is 38.2. I have 2011 RS-S and I check my sparkplugs around every 3,000 mile of use and look great.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 555

We have been ridding 555 two or three times a year for a lot of years. Its not the Draggon BUT it is 30 miles down the road to 555 and about 70 miles from top to bottom.With a stop in Ringold for a good Bison Burger.Go to the river,bring rt.60 back to Zanesville. Stop at Toms for an ice cream cone and then to rt 146 to rt 586 and we will be home befor dark. Took the Spyder this fall and it was just as much fun as the two wheelers.There has been a time or two that we were well past 150 miles on a tank of gas but that's not the norm. 32 to 34 most times is the norm for us.We bought the yellow 2013 RTS se5 in June this year and rode 11,000 miles + we put 7,000 miles on the two wheeler this year so I guess we have had a good year.The two wheeler hasn't been out of the garage much since June.I wonder why?????????????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    That's great, my best is 44.6 my overall average is 38.2. I have 2011 RS-S and I check my sparkplugs around every 3,000 mile of use and look great.

Mike

That kind of mpg is "crazy generous". In over 23,500 miles on my '12 RT I've never seen anything close to your best, let alone your average...I'm jealous .
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was on a lot of back roads...up and down left and right....state route 555 one of the best roads I've been on the tank before I got 28 mpg so maybe I was just taking it easy enjoying the ryde
    It could be as simple as the dance that your right wrist was doing with the loud grip, was a slow one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    We have been ridding 555 two or three times a year for a lot of years. Its not the Draggon BUT it is 30 miles down the road to 555 and about 70 miles from top to bottom.With a stop in Ringold for a good Bison Burger.Go to the river,bring rt.60 back to Zanesville. Stop at Toms for an ice cream cone and then to rt 146 to rt 586 and we will be home befor dark. Took the Spyder this fall and it was just as much fun as the two wheelers.There has been a time or two that we were well past 150 miles on a tank of gas but that's not the norm. 32 to 34 most times is the norm for us.We bought the yellow 2013 RTS se5 in June this year and rode 11,000 miles + we put 7,000 miles on the two wheeler this year so I guess we have had a good year.The two wheeler hasn't been out of the garage much since June.I wonder why?????????????????
    555 is a great road...there is a great place to stop and look back over the countryside its on 78 about a mile west of 555.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It could be as simple as the dance that your right wrist was doing with the loud grip, was a slow one...
    Maybe it has taken me 22000 miles to learn how to ryde I hope I can keep it up

Spyder Garage

Just bought a BRP RT-622 trailer and am wondering what I can expect for MPG towing. Any comments?

Jack

Spyder Garage

I have seen around 31 MPG on my 2012 RT on the last long distance trip I did. My Average though is 26.5.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    That kind of mpg is "crazy generous". In over 23,500 miles on my '12 RT I've never seen anything close to your best, let alone your average...I'm jealous .
    This is what I did to my 2011 RS-S:

Better Gas Mileage
    1. Check the front and rear wheel alignment and correct if not aligned.
    2. Clean fuel system. I use Seafoam twice a year. In the fall and spring.
    Stabilize gas that contains alcohol. I use Marine Stable,
    at 1/2 oz. per 5 gallons of gas.
    3. Use 89+ octane gas.
    4. Tire pressure that are correct for your Spyder.
    5. Synthetic motorcycle oil. I use Amsoil 10-40 sythetic motorcycle oil. There
    are alot of brand names on the market to choose
    from.
    6. Air filter. I use a K&N air filter in my 2011 RS-S
    7. A catch can. This is a filter to keep the dirty oil out of the air box
    and the engine throttle bodies.

This is Bajaron's oil catch can setup.

1. Universal glass fuel filter. It does come with hose barb fittings but none were used. (to bulky)
    2. Foam, Foam installed & the fuel filter & gasket that I removed from the fuel filter.
    3. The new setup connected to the engine. (Be sure not to cut the vent hose to short.
    easy fix if you would happen to though)
    To sum it up, it is a very cheap & easy mod to keep the oil out of the air box.
    My only consideration in the process that I didn't do was to take the nut ends of the filter to the grinder & make them round,
    so the trip into the hose would be smoother, but I didn't & all went well. The below are how to pics.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...1&d=1311883552
    8. Riding techniques.

1. When pulling out without traffic, get to speed by shifting at 5,000 rpm's.
    2. When on highways run the rpms at 5,000 to 6,000 to maintane speed.
    3. When on other road run the rpms above 4,500 to keep in the engines powerband.
    4. When starting a cold engine, let it warm up for 1 or 2 minutes.
    5. When ridding do not let your gas tank go below a 1/4 of a tank of gas.
    When you get less that 2 gallons in the tank the gas will stat to evaporate at a high
    rate and the gas/alcohol starts to separate. If the Spyder stopped and engine is hot the gas will
    start to boil.
    9. Spark plugs and wires. Use Iridium spark plugs and custom ignition wires, I got mine from BajRon and
    they are high quality parts.