Thread: Rear tire

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

At 7,450 miles I am down to the wear bars on my RTs rear tire. Is this about average mileage before replacing ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was replaced at 7000 miles... Tire longevity can often be traced back to the owner's riding and maintenance habits...
    Kumho Ecsta tires seem to last quite a bit longer.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

10000 to 12000 seems closer to the average wear out mileage but I agree with Bob, the Kumho Ecsta auto tire is likely to get you 30000 miles at half the price.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say..!!

a lot of threads on tires and no average that I can see. Like Bob said there are many variables. I am at 15,000 miles and still have tread left. I ryde double up and hard lots of hills, curves and not great on speed limits. I'm in southern CA. Now you will see many on the other coast and here some going to the auto tires and doing well. So you have to now check the threads on which one of those to go with. I just suggest changing all tires to the same brand...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Make sure you are to the wear bars. There are two sets of bars on the Spyder tires. The highest ones are water bars, that help move water out of the traed. They look liek wear bars when the tire wears down. The lowest are the true wear bars. There are tiny tringles on the sidewall that correscpond to the waer bar locations. A number of riders have replaced tires prematurely because they looked at the wrong bars.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mine was replaced at 7000 miles... Tire longevity can often be traced back to the owner's riding and maintenance habits...
    Kumho Ecsta tires seem to last quite a bit longer.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I have replaced four rear tires on three different 's. One was replaced at 13,000 miles and the rest were replaced at about 15,000 miles. I keep the tire pressure at 28 lbs on the rear tires. I am not known for my heck raising, wheelies, or burn outs. As said earlier, there are lots of factors that determine tire life.

Not able to do other brands because dealer will not change them out for me. I do not want the guys from the tire shop tearing my apart either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I got 20K on my first one. I run it at 30 psi.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

I replaced mine at 16000 miles.

ivor

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    65K with Michelin Pilot 225/55/15. Talking about owner's riding...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Make sure you are to the wear bars. There are two sets of bars on the Spyder tires. The highest ones are water bars, that help move water out of the traed. They look liek wear bars when the tire wears down. The lowest are the true wear bars. There are tiny tringles on the sidewall that correscpond to the waer bar locations. A number of riders have replaced tires prematurely because they looked at the wrong bars.
    I have 11,000 Miles on my New rear tire and its at the Water Bars? I expect to get about 18,000 by the time it gets to the Replace Bars?? Same as the Last rear tire. I think they wear easier in the Cooler Climates?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I replaced my rear tire at 13,000 miles. But I have a question: aren't the water bars important? Especially when you ride in the rain?

Spyder Garage

Not sure how the water bars work. The will definately hydroplane if you go at more than 55 mph through standing water. Nanny woke me up and saved my bacon the first time I encountered hydroplaneing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default On my third rear tire.

Some of us are rougher on tires than others, I replaced my first 2 rear tires at an average total mileage for each at 9500 miles. I had a Mirada sport GTX car tire on it now. I rides on a flat surface correctly. I does grab better. the BRP recommended tire will spin in the center of it, causing it to wear prematurely. It rides like a motorcycle tire. I have more control with the car tire vs the BRP tire. With the car tire cost at $85 compared to $185, no brainer. I am very pleased with the Mirada tire. I was told by the dealer that the Mirada tire will wear faster and that it will spin, wrong! It grabs great, makes my RT lunge forward more, than just the center of the BRP tire spinning. Just my personal experience shared here. Got over 20k miles on my Spyder and enjoying it even more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    65K with Michelin Pilot 225/55/15. Talking about owner's riding...
    Doc; Michies tend to wear about like iron... I had a set on a Jeep pickup that did their job for almost that long...
    One Problem with them: The offered so little traction, that you could get stuck on a dogturd...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

replaced mine at 10500. Next time I'm trying a different tire.

Spyder Garage

I noticed that I was down to almost the wear bars with 5600 miles on my 2013 RT-L, Dealer said I should be good for another 3 to 5,000 (yes, Spyder is in the shop for starting problems and a oil leak)