Spyder Garage

Default Holiday Season Karma

Haven't posted here since I sold the Spyder near the end of 2012. I think the forum should be for the enjoyment of those who own or for prospective owners and I didn't want to be one of those guys whose posting depresses or worries others who are more than happy with their purchase.

In any event, I have a new, never used Utopia Products backrest for a 2010 RTS. The Item No. is SPY10RT-GR/DS. Also have the bar cover in doeskin with Pearl Gray Thread, Item # BCGR/DS.

Total cost of the two items was $257 plus shipping. I believe the backrest will fit any RT from 2010 - 2013, but you need to check for yourself. In any event, it's free plus $25 for shipping to the first person who sends me a PM. I'll PM back with my mailing address, you can mail the check for shipping and I'll ship the backrest. (No Paypal.)

Fair enough?

I sure do miss the fun and friendship of this forum and the fun at Spyderfest and Owners' Events, but I'm having fun on 2 wheels again. Best to all. If anyone else has items you don't need or use, you might consider gifting it to someone who will put it to good use.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Fair enough? You can't beat free!! I'd take you up on it but I bought one this summer. A great comfort item...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    It's good to hear from you again! What are you riding now? I'd love to take the backrest; but I'm not sure if it'd fit a 2014... (Probably not...)
    Post some pics of the new ride!!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A great offer for a lucky person. Thanks for posting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

PM Sent
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Great! First PM came from lwrydr, who goes by Dave in the real world. Hope to ship the backrest tomorrow.

Bob,

I've got two rides now, a BMW K1600GTL and a BMW R1200GSW. Both are wonderful rides, for different purposes. The K1600, with 160hp is scary fast and incredibly smoooooth! The GSW is a lighter and smaller version of the GS Adventure we took to Colorado for the owners' event so we could enjoy some of the off road riding out there. It was a great trip and we spent over 2 weeks in Colorado. Sorry, no pictures on this computer but I'll work on that.

Again, best wishes to everyone!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Great! First PM came from lwrydr, who goes by Dave in the real world. Hope to ship the backrest tomorrow.

Bob,

I've got two rides now, a BMW K1600GTL and a BMW R1200GSW. Both are wonderful rides, for different purposes. The K1600, with 160hp is scary fast and incredibly smoooooth! The GSW is a lighter and smaller version of the GS Adventure we took to Colorado for the owners' event so we could enjoy some of the off road riding out there. It was a great trip and we spent over 2 weeks in Colorado. Sorry, no pictures on this computer but I'll work on that.

Again, best wishes to everyone!
    Looking forward to receiving the seat and I have been all over Western Colorado on a Harley and a Jeep. Super
    great country. The other place I believe is as nice as Co. in the road between Jasper and Banf in Canada.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Two REAL nice bikes!

Spyder Garage

photo-4.jpgphoto-2.jpgOK, I think I've got them both uploaded. The first shot is the R1200GSW, which is the new water cooled version of the bike. The shot was taken at Michigan's Au Sable River outside of Grayling.

The second shot is the K1600GTL on the dealer's floor the day I picked it up. Delivery was delayed by Sandy, which closed up the port in NJ that BMW normally uses. The shipments were diverted to MD (I think) and then trucked to BMW in NJ. Anyway, it's a great ride. My wife and I did about 620 miles in one day coming home from Asheville. It's the longest single day she's ever done.

Bob, and the others in line for a new one, enjoy the 2014! It sounds like BRP listened closely to all the comments, complaints and suggestions and the new bikes should be worth the wait!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Good to see !!

this site in action..start to finish in just a handful of post. Great bikes enjoy and stick around not all subjects are spyder...right cuznjohn...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wondered where you had been I remembered that you brought a 2 wheeler to the Owner's Event in Durango but I didn't realize that you sold your Spyder. Enjoy and stop by SL every once in a while for a visit!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're still family.

Spyder Garage

The 1600 GTL was one of the bikes on my must look at list. As usual, BMW does not make bikes for people with short inseams.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Nice to see you crawled out from under that rock. It's been too long since we saw or heard anything of you. One of us must be busy...LOL.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The 1600 GTL was one of the bikes on my must look at list. As usual, BMW does not make bikes for people with short inseams.
    ...Just get a pair of boots with some extra beefy soles...

(Please note that I DIDN'T say "High Heels")

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You're still family.
    Thank you, Bob.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Nice to see you crawled out from under that rock. It's been too long since we saw or heard anything of you. One of us must be busy...LOL.
    Yeah, Scotty, one of us must be building a new home, making life difficult for the contractors, carpenters, electricians, HVAC personnel, not to mention you and Nancy. Now, which one of us is busy? At least I'm able to pretty much keep to my half-time schedule at work. I'm sure you're far busier than that! I've been keeping track of your progress, and the home is looking great! I love the way you're taking advantage of the view in the back. I'll keep watching.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

I loved my k12, and seriously considered the K16 when I sold my RT, but it's too tight for my long legs - so Honda got my $$ instead.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Actually, the K1600 has the lowest seat height of any BMW - 29.5" With its very, very low COG it's surprisingly easy to manage at a stop or slow speeds. But it is not a lightweight, coming in at just under 800# ready to go.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Actually, the K1600 has the lowest seat height of any BMW - 29.5" With its very, very low COG it's surprisingly easy to manage at a stop or slow speeds. But it is not a lightweight, coming in at just under 800# ready to go.
    Thanks for the update. At 26" that's still 3.5 inches short for me.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Dan, long time no talk to, Had fun times at spyderfest with you!

Was at the auto show out here the other day and BMW had this bike on display, think thats the
    same one you got. Really liked the dash with the color GPS screen built in

your friend, ticketbait

Spyder Garage

Hey Ticketbait,

We sure did have fun at Spyderfest! Thanks for posting that picture with the Michigan state flag!

That BMW you saw is a new limited edition of the K1600GTL introduced for 2014. It's got keyless ignition, a new Garmin GPS with a slightly bigger screen than the 660, armrests for the passenger and the very nice paint job! A real looker!

Ride safely.
    Dan