Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default need help popping in exhaust and also comming from airbox

hello everyone, i am new to the forum and i love it.. anyway i am having some issues with the spyder. when i decel on the throttle i have popping from the exhaust and sometimes comming from the airbox. i am having the 600 mile service done this week.. i spoke to the dealer and he said this is normal with an after market exhaust. i put the hindle on... he said i have to wait until a power commander comes out to help... any ideas.... it really scares the hell out of you when it comes from the airbox.. not all the time but it happens about everytime i ride at least once. thanks guys..

Spyder Garage

just put my hindle on yesterday...havent noticed popping from exhaust. really made a difference in sound and a little in performance. my wife suprisingly loves it too! (i was afraid she would think it was too loud!) ill give it a few rides to break in and see if anything happens, but thanks for the info.

chad

Spyder Garage

welcome

Welcome to SpyderLovers 22cowboys. The popping might calm down some as you ride and the Spyder "learns" how to run the engine with the new exhaust. Also, you could try disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes to clear out the old learned settings. Then the Spyder will relearn how to run the engine with your new exhaust as you ride. I have the Hindle and I don't have hardly any popping noises. It seems like it used to do it more when I first installed the Hindle.
    Last edited by bjt; 07-19-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

and welcome

I totally agree with BJT: the Hindle pipe is "popping-less" in time. I have mine for 3,700 miles.
    BTW, you'll see a much improved after your 600 service.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Double check to ensure you have no exhaust leaks up the system,
    beemerboy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 22cowboys View Post
    hello everyone, i am new to the forum and i love it.. anyway i am having some issues with the spyder. when i decel on the throttle i have popping from the exhaust and sometimes comming from the airbox.
    Popping in a high-performance exhaust system is perfectly normal, and in some cases desireable:

http://www.mikuni.com/tg_backfires_in_exhaust.html

ANY backfiring coming from the airbox area is NOT normal. I don't remember anyone else reporting this issue after installing an after-market exhaust. As others have noted, give the system some time to learn and see how things shake out. If it doesn't get better then you should definitely have your dealer take care of it.

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

Nice link Mark .............