Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Replacement - Anyone Else?

So, a few weeks back, I was having issues on my way to work with my 2009 GS Spyder - It seemed to be bucking on my way down the road.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why until i got to work, only to see that the teeth on the belt were being RIPPED OFF! As you can see in this picture - it was REALLY serious! Only thing i can think is that it has something to do with the coolant leak I had earlier this year - perhaps the coolant leaked onto the belt and ate away at it?

20130823_081121.jpg

I took it to the shop ASAP - they had never seen this before - and talking to the surrounding 4 shops, NONE of them had ever had to replace a belt before (note I've only got 25k miles on this bike!) - so $300 for a belt, and $300 for labor got me back to this

20130828_175130.jpg

So anyone else have this happen before?

Spyder Garage

I have had the "pleasure" or replacing two different belts. Both were driver caused and not defective parts. Replaced belt on 2009 because rocks got caught in it and caused belt to tear. I try to avoid rock and gravel roads to this day. The other incident happened in my driveway. Tried to back it out in ice/snow. Got the 2010 stuck, gunned it, the wheel buried itself in the gravel, and the rocks split the belt in half.

Your cost seems a bit high--but it is what it is wherever you are. I paid $250 (approx) for the belts and about $150 for the labor to repair. Towing costs extra of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've had it happen. It's called delamination. Some dealerships have a chart with pictures showing different types of belt failure. It's interesting that my Spyder is an '09 with around 25k when this occurred. It was covered under warranty, but had to pay shop time.

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

To prevent belt damage from rock or gravel, try the belt guard from Spyderpops. Much less expensive than a new belt. It's very effective...

http://www.spyderpops.com/5.html

Spyder Garage

That's the weird thing - there were no rocks or anything in the sprockets at all - the belt seems to have degraded and the sprockets themselves were ripping the teeth off

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

mostly hear of damage due to rocks and debris..should have the belt checked out see if it is flawed though it lasted a good length of time..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UNBELIEVABLE

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSage View Post
    So, a few weeks back, I was having issues on my way to work with my 2009 GS Spyder - It seemed to be bucking on my way down the road.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why until i got to work, only to see that the teeth on the belt were being RIPPED OFF! As you can see in this picture - it was REALLY serious! Only thing i can think is that it has something to do with the coolant leak I had earlier this year - perhaps the coolant leaked onto the belt and ate away at it?

20130823_081121.jpg

I took it to the shop ASAP - they had never seen this before - and talking to the surrounding 4 shops, NONE of them had ever had to replace a belt before (note I've only got 25k miles on this bike!) - so $300 for a belt, and $300 for labor got me back to this

20130828_175130.jpg

WOW.....$ 300 for re-placing the belt ....I would find a new dealer A.S.A.P. , if it took them more than 1/2 hour not only are they thieves but they are in-competant ! ! ! to boot. I would hate to think what they charge for an actual PROBLEM .....None of this was said to Offend or Hurt your Feelings but you have been a Spyderlover for a long time .....Do you read any of what is said here.......And I'm truly sorry for your loss ............Mike

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Hopefully they checked your drive / front pulley while the belt was off - this what caused my belt to shred teeth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I picked up a rock at some point and there is signs of minor wear on the center my belt in certain areas. When I discussed this with my servicing dealer he said I would need to replace the front and rear sprockets at the same time. It's difficult to see all of the teeth on both sprockets but I can't see any wear on either. Opinions on replacing just the belt ??
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingWind View Post
    Hopefully they checked your drive / front pulley while the belt was off - this what caused my belt to shred teeth.
    I was going to ask how did they look.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That was why the labor bill was so high, i had them check both front and rear sprockets - they both looked fine, no chips or rocks or anything (guy wanted me to replace them anyways - not gonna happen if there isn't anything wrong with them) - just had never heard of a Spyder with such low miles needing a belt replaced

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Belts

Just put the 3rd belt on my . NOW have the belt guard from Spyderpops. BUT not before the 1st 2 had rocks!!! Now have over 38,000 miles. a tad over 400Per. to replace.

Spyder Garage

Some things to ponder...

DocDuru shows a picture of a rock damaged belt. It does not look like ours.

I had SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard on because I knew there were going to be gravel roads.

Both our Spyders are '09 Phantoms and both our belts delaminated around the same milage.
    Delamination is caused by a manufacturing flaw or improper handling during installation. Bad batch?
    Should have been covered under warranty.

More dealers need to get the handy-dandy poster sized chart of all the different belt failures. It could save you $300.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Harley Davidson has been using HTD (High Torque Drive ) belts for years without the need for guards etc. From the pictures it looks to me like they are using to small of a tooth to handle the load. BRP needs to go back to the drawing boards and re-engineer this design.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that the belt is Gates design not BRP's. Never been a fan of belts or chains for that matter, touring bikes need shaft drive and leave chains to motocross, leave belts to holding up your pants!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Gates manufactures the belt but BRP has to decide what design the belt requires. There are a number of different tooth patterns depending on load and torque . In my opinion the current belt BRP is using is to light for its requirement.

Spyder Garage

I lost my belt on my 2010 with 43000 miles. Looked like someone stripped the grooves out of it. New belt and a thousand mles later I total the bike because some guy thought he had the right of way. Two stop signs and the flashing red light didn't mean anything to him.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    Gates manufactures the belt but BRP has to decide what design the belt requires. There are a number of different tooth patterns depending on load and torque . In my opinion the current belt BRP is using is to light for its requirement.
    Your opinion is noted...but there have been extremely few spontaneous failures of the Spyder belts. Probably no more incidence than for the Harleys, overall. It is not practical to design something for a zero failure scenario...and it is not likely the design is flawed if there have been only a handful of failures. There are a number of possible causes for the OP's failure, and they have not been talked about here (except for rock damage) so it is not really possible to evaluate the reason in this case. I'm guessing that there was an external cause, but it is possible that it was a bad belt or abuse, too. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your opinion is noted...but there have been extremely few spontaneous failures of the Spyder belts. Probably no more incidence than for the Harleys, overall. It is not practical to design something for a zero failure scenario...and it is not likely the design is flawed if there have been only a handful of failures. There are a number of possible causes for the OP's failure, and they have not been talked about here (except for rock damage) so it is not really possible to evaluate the reason in this case. I'm guessing that there was an external cause, but it is possible that it was a bad belt or abuse, too. JMHO
    and I'm not knocking the belt drive because clearly I own a Spyder and a belt drive, just stating my feelings and besides BRP did not ask me for my input on the final drive.....
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edmarino View Post
    Harley Davidson has been using HTD (High Torque Drive ) belts for years without the need for guards etc.
    Most of the touring models do have a lower guard.They still pick up rocks on dirt/gravel roads.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSage View Post

20130823_081121.jpg

20130828_175130.jpg

$300 LABOUR TO CHANGE A BELT????l holy crap! I just did my friends new belt this morning on his 2015 RT Limited.... start to finish, tools out, adjustment and test ride down the street and back, all fasteners torqued, tools away, 28 minutes.... actual belt replacement to the point of all back together and belt tensioned was 17 minutes... 5 bolts, axle and trailer hitch removal... I don't unbolt the caliper... just undo everything and roll the tire out of the caliper and it will slide right out and hang on the mounting stud.
    Last edited by gmctech; 08-02-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Just wondering, but looking at most of these posts were pre 2014 Spyders with the 990 engine. I have not heard of problems with the 1330 engine belts. I have 15K on my 2014 RT with a stone guard and the belt look like new. I also pull a camping trailer. Wonder if there is a big difference in composites between the 2 models and are the newer belts holding up better.
    Just an insite

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    $300 LABOUR TO CHANGE A BELT????l holy crap! I just did my friends new belt this morning on his 2015 RT Limited.... start to finish, tools out, adjustment and test ride down the street and back, all fasteners torqued, tools away, 28 minutes.... actual belt replacement to the point of all back together and belt tensioned was 17 minutes... 5 bolts, axle and trailer hitch removal... I don't unbolt the caliper... just undo everything and roll the tire out of the caliper and it will slide right out and hang on the mounting stud.
    Did you notice you are responding to a post that is nearly 5 years old! DarkSage has posted only twice since the one you're responding to, and those were in 2016. Your post here is probably a fruitless use of bits and bytes!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Just wondering, but looking at most of these posts were pre 2014 Spyders with the 990 engine. I have not heard of problems with the 1330 engine belts. I have 15K on my 2014 RT with a stone guard and the belt look like new. I also pull a camping trailer. Wonder if there is a big difference in composites between the 2 models and are the newer belts holding up better.
    Just an insite
    Wish this was true! I have not had to replace a belt yet, but two of my friends have, and both of their bikes are 1330 RT's.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue