Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I received the Limiting Collar update for the BajaRon Sway Bar, so I decided to get that installed today. Some people have had problems with the sway bar moving from side to side. Here is what the collars look like:

Sway Bar Collar - 1.jpg

My sway bar would have about an inch of play from side to side, so the first thing to do was to manually center it. Then one collar goes on each side of the sway bar to the outside of the bushing block. Here is a view from the left side of the sway bar. The collar can be seen on the right in front of the bushing block.

Sway Bar Collar - 2.jpg

Here is a view of the left side sway bar looking at it head on from the front of the bike. You can see the collar to the left.

Sway Bar Collar - 3.jpg

Overall, this was incredibly easy to install. Nothing has to come apart or taken off to get it done. It is an in place update. Thanks to Ron for keeping it simple.

Spyder Garage

After changing the oil today, I decided to drain the anti-freeze and replace it with a high performance aftermarket product. In our current line up of motocross bikes and my previous street bikes, I would run the Liquid Performance anti-freeze. My buddy's shop switched to Engine Ice. He says that it is just as good, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Anti-Freeze.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default was told

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    After changing the oil today, I decided to drain the anti-freeze and replace it with a high performance aftermarket product. In our current line up of motocross bikes and my previous street bikes, I would run the Liquid Performance anti-freeze. My buddy's shop switched to Engine Ice. He says that it is just as good, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Anti-Freeze.jpg
    i was told that BRP is using a different type of antifreeze in their 4 wheelers for less heat. i wonder why they don't also do it to the bikes that have heat problems when they update the software
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i was told that BRP is using a different type of antifreeze in their 4 wheelers for less heat. i wonder why they don't also do it to the bikes that have heat problems when they update the software
    The stuff I put in claims that it reduces operating temperatures by as much as 50 degrees. Of course, what you get is different from engine to engine. The Spyder holds 8/10 of a gallon, so I had to buy two bottles at $20 a pop, so it definitely isn't cheap. If you're having heat problems, then it is an easy thing to try.

Spyder Garage

Cheap compared to all the other crap we are doing.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Got the Kewl Metal AF today on the agenda for Sunday
    Did you get to install this over the weekend?

Spyder Garage

No my son had a college wrestling tournament on Saturday and I did not get home until late and then Sunday was reserved for the "Honey Do" List I am waiting on my CAT crossover pipe and my muffler as well as the Air intake vents from Viritka Trikes and will attack this thing in three days. I think I am going to get the Baja Ron sway bar and the Shocks as well and do it all at once. I wonder if Spyder Attitude makes each Y-pipe to order? Would have though i would have had that by now. Then once I am done with my goodies the trike goes to the dealer for all the device bulletin work and the Power Commander and Auto Tune and pipe wrap.

I sure am curious about the new flash Can Am is doing.

By the way we will be in your neck of the woods this summer my inlaws live in Syracuse and we are coming out for a visit.

Spyder Garage

With all of the modifications we make to our bikes to address needs and desires, they each become a bit unique.

This thread is an interesting one because the mods to address the heat combined with the fuel/ignition timing management (to account for air intake + exhaust) is going to produce a superior solution than the factory flash because the factory solution doesn't really change anything other than how the bike functions as controlled by the software. My guess is that they will run the engine with different A/F ratios to address the heat issue. If true, that is likely to mean a slight reduction in mpg.

So, in short, I think once this 2013 RT-S is as perfect as you can get it, the factory solutions will not work on this bike.

So what will this mean to the factory warranty? This is the key item stopping me (for the moment) from making some of the changes (anything that touches the electronic A/F or ignition management).

Thoughts?
    Jerry

Spyder Garage

To be truthful the warranty is as good as the Dealer applying it. They present it in the proper context too BRP it should not be any issues.

frankly I am doing to the bike what should be done but the factory is hamstrung by stupid regulation and costs.

in the end you are correct I will have a superior performing unique bike that should give me many years of riding pleasure.

Spyder Garage

By the way we will be in your neck of the woods this summer my inlaws live in Syracuse and we are coming out for a visit.
    Look me up when you're here. Will you have the Spyder with you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    My guess is that they will run the engine with different A/F ratios to address the heat issue. If true, that is likely to mean a slight reduction in mpg.
    I agree. If the bike is running hot / lean, they more than likely are richening it up which in turn would decrease your MPG. My last bike (VFR800) had the lean issue and after adding the PCV, I lost 4-5 MPG, but the bike ran perfect. I personally am not concerned about the MPG.

I think once this 2013 RT-S is as perfect as you can get it, the factory solutions will not work on this bike.
    I agree, but that is OK, because the PCV and AutoTune will use the new ECM map as the base map and adjust from there. With that said, I don't even need the ECM update for the map, but was told by my dealer that there is other software in there that affects things other than the map that are specific to the overall systems on the bike. Therefore, I will get the update.

So what will this mean to the factory warranty? This is the key item stopping me (for the moment) from making some of the changes (anything that touches the electronic A/F or ignition management).
    All of these changes are benign and can be reversed. These are all very common changes made to all types of motorcycles. This is why the aftermarket exists. Realistically, warranties are usually handy for major mechanical issues, but how rare is that? You would be hard pressed to find a major mechanical failure due to any one of the modifications that is being outlined in this thread. I think the warranty altering changes would come when you actually open up and modify the engine - big bore, cams, etc.

Spyder Garage

To be truthful the warranty is as good as the Dealer applying it. They present it in the proper context too BRP it should not be any issues.
    Yes, a good dealer is already aware of the shortcomings of the machine and should be working with you to provide solutions.

frankly I am doing to the bike what should be done but the factory is hamstrung by stupid regulation and costs.
    You are spot on. This is exactly why the aftermarket exists. If you want your bike to run the way the hard core engineers designed it to, then you can't leave it stock.

Spyder Garage

I agree. If the bike is running hot / lean, they more than likely are richening it up which in turn would decrease your MPG. My last bike (VFR800) had the lean issue and after adding the PCV, I lost 4-5 MPG, but the bike ran perfect. I personally am not concerned about the MPG.

I agree, but that is OK, because the PCV and AutoTune will use the new ECM map as the base map and adjust from there. With that said, I don't even need the ECM update for the map, but was told by my dealer that there is other software in there that affects things other than the map that are specific to the overall systems on the bike. Therefore, I will get the update.

All of these changes are benign and can be reversed. These are all very common changes made to all types of motorcycles. This is why the aftermarket exists. Realistically, warranties are usually handy for major mechanical issues, but how rare is that? You would be hard pressed to find a major mechanical failure due to any one of the modifications that is being outlined in this thread. I think the warranty altering changes would come when you actually open up and modify the engine - big bore, cams, etc.
    The mpg might go down, but I think it also has the possibly of going up if you wanted t tune the bike for that. For certain, the performance envelope should increase. Do you have a feel for what you will do with the ignition curve? Seems to me it can be really optimized for best power per RPM (I am sure the emissions might not be improved; the reason it was never optimized in the first place).

Jerry

Spyder Garage

The mpg might go down, but I think it also has the possibly of going up if you wanted t tune the bike for that. For certain, the performance envelope should increase. Do you have a feel for what you will do with the ignition curve? Seems to me it can be really optimized for best power per RPM (I am sure the emissions might not be improved; the reason it was never optimized in the first place).

Jerry
    The beauty of the PCV is that you can tune it for whatever you want - performance or even economy. For right now, I am not planning to do any specific manual tuning. I want to see what the AutoTune comes up with first. After putting one on my prior bike, the included PCV base map was so much better that I just left it alone.

Spyder Garage

The beauty of the PCV is that you can tune it for whatever you want - performance or even economy. For right now, I am not planning to do any specific manual tuning. I want to see what the AutoTune comes up with first. After putting one on my prior bike, the included PCV base map was so much better that I just left it alone.
    I think the possibility of firing the ignition at the optimal crank location is a cool thing that will do good things for the HP and torque curves. Too bad we cannot change the gearing to take advantage of the power gains. I think you would see better mpg for sure.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Look me up when you're here. Will you have the Spyder with you?

Trying to decide if we should drive or fly. If we drive I can trailer the spyder out we have four of us coming out. But if we bring it I will PM you.

Spyder Garage

I am counting on the Auto tune to be real plus for pulling the Spyder trailer.

Spyder Garage

There won't be any updates for this weekend and next because we're taking the kids to Florida for winter break. After getting another foot of snow last night, I can't wait. When I get back, I should have the headers / Y-pipe and then will focus on the PCV / AutoTune installation.

Spyder Garage

Oh you are lucky man enjoy the warmth I am just heading out to plow the snow we got but it was not that much.....yikes

I ordered my Y-pipe some time ago still do not have it.

Spyder Garage

I ordered my Y-pipe some time ago still do not have it.
    I think it a took a few weeks for mine to come. The KewlMetal air filter kit is what took forever - something like 6 weeks. It makes me wonder if these smaller vendors are trying to build up orders before doing another production run.

Spyder Garage

stewartj239,

I need some info from you please.

There is someone who is fabricating a Y pipe to replace the cat. As I understand it, the PC with auto tune requires an O-2 sensor to be in the loop. That means you need to have an O-2 sensor in the exhaust system down stream below where the 2 exhaust pipes come together. That puts it in the Y-pipe.

Since you are in the process of putting in this setup but have not done so, you are in the best position to measure length of O-2 sensor and possible mounting options. I know the Y-pipe is going to be different, but anything you can do to help the fabricator understand where to place the O-2 bung would be invaluable.

Can you post the length of the O-2 sensor and a pic of where you were planning on mounting it in the Y-pipe you have? This should help the Y-pipe fabricator best estimate where to place the bung on his design.

Thanks
    Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

For the single sensor auto tune 16" from the heads is the optimum position according to the Power Commander Guru that I spoke to today.

he is doing the dual channel wide band sensors so he will have those seniors located in the header pipes not the Y-Pipe.
    Last edited by Ramjet; 02-25-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

stewartj239,

I need some info from you please.

There is someone who is fabricating a Y pipe to replace the cat. As I understand it, the PC with auto tune requires an O-2 sensor to be in the loop. That means you need to have an O-2 sensor in the exhaust system down stream below where the 2 exhaust pipes come together. That puts it in the Y-pipe.

Since you are in the process of putting in this setup but have not done so, you are in the best position to measure length of O-2 sensor and possible mounting options. I know the Y-pipe is going to be different, but anything you can do to help the fabricator understand where to place the O-2 bung would be invaluable.

Can you post the length of the O-2 sensor and a pic of where you were planning on mounting it in the Y-pipe you have? This should help the Y-pipe fabricator best estimate where to place the bung on his design.

Thanks
    Jerry
    Jerry - You do not want to put the O2 bung on the Y-pipe. Here is a quote from the AutoTune installation instructions: "It is recommended to position the weld bung / sensor approximately 6" - 18" from the exhaust port of the cylinder". That means it needs to go on the header pipe.

Here is another quote regarding the cat: "If you have to drill a hole for a new bung ... , we recommend doing so BEFORE the catalytic converter (if applicable)". Therefore, putting it on the Y-pipe is too far downstream.

If you have the AT-200, you only need to weld in a single bung and you can put it on either header pipe. If you have the AT-300, then you need a bung on each header pipe.

I went with the AT-300, so I have marked the spots on both pipes to make sure they are within the 6" - 18" limit and so that they clear all rails and bodywork. The shop has promised me that they will have them done by Friday, so I will post pictures which will show you where the new bungs were welded in.

Spyder Garage

For the single sensor auto tune 16" from the heads is the optimum position according to the Power Commander Guru that I spoke to today.
    Yes, you beat me to it

Spyder Garage

okay, I mis understood how many you needed. Thanks guys on the responses.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle