Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Making the 2013 Spyder RT-S "Perfect"

My wife and I have now owned our 2013 RT-S for about 6 months and we've put a total of 4500+ miles on it so far. During this time, I had left it stock in order to let it break in and to put on some miles in order to do a proper evaluation before shelling out money for improvements. Based on that, the following list outlines all of the changes I plan to make during the winter:

Akrapovic Exhaust - Based on my past 2-wheel experience, the OEM exhaust is typically overly restrictive and replacing it often allows the bike to run the way the factory wanted it to.

Cat Removal - Why the Spyder has this is beyond me. Knowing that it is also a big heat generator under the Tupperware, it's coming out.

PCV with AutoTune - To make sure I don't run too lean with the cat removal and Akrapovic, I'm adding the PCV - which I have past experience with. Also hearing that the rear cylinder can run leaner than the front, I'm adding the dual channel AutoTune so that each cylinder can be mapped independently.

ELKA 1+R Suspension - I'm adding these both front and rear. For touring, we want a nicer ride and I'm hoping that through turns, it makes the VSS less likely to kick in.

ISCI Front Brake - I don't understand why the Spyder did not come with one. I've ridden 2 wheels for the last 25 years and I always keep a finger on the front brake. The Spyder's rear brake by itself is lame and in my opinion, unsafe.

BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - The stock deflectors are in the closed position and they do not allow air to flow over the upper vents. I would think that by allowing air over those vents will help to pull hot air up and out of the Tupperware.

Ignition Wire Set & Plugs - I've seen that the OEM wires have caused people problems, so for the price, I'm replacing them.

Spyderpops Bump Skid - I like idea of the added protection that it offers and I also think it enhances the look of the Spyder.

BajaRon Sway Bar & Chromoly Heim Joints - I've actually already added the sway bar, then added the chromoly joints after the stock one snapped. This was definitely a nice enhancement and would recommend it.

I know I have a lot of updates that potentially address the heat related issues, but I want to be clear that I have not experienced or have had any heat related problems. However, I also want to be proactive, so if there is any way I can reduce heat or fend off potential problems, then I will.

Lastly, with the cat removal, Akrapovic and PCV / AutoTune additions, I hope to optimize the performance of this bike. From what I've read, an 8+ HP increase is possible.

I'll update this thread with my progress as it happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added 12/24/2013:

KewlMetal Air Filter Kit - I've started to tear into the Spyder to remove the header pipes and install BajaRon's plug / wire kit and was shocked to that there is no room in there to work. I came across the KewlMetal air filter kit which opens up all kinds of space under the hood and provides its own benefits as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added 12/30/2013:

Evap Canister Removal - One of the issues that I did have was the smell of gasoline in the garage after parking the Spyder. I came across a thread on this forum that identified the evap canister as the culprit and showed a very simple way for removing it altogether.

Added 01/19/2014:

Ceramic Coating - The header pipes and cat bypass "Y" pipe are out to be ceramic coated. The shop told me that the ceramic coating will reduce the amount of emitted heat by 50%. My research on the topic supports that estimate.

Belt Tensioner - I do get belt vibration between 45-65 MPH, depending on the riding and throttle conditions. I ordered the Smooth Spyder tensioner as I have only heard positive things about it.
    Last edited by stewartj239; 01-19-2014 at 08:22 PM.