Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Got it / did a search

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Got it / did a search
    Cool. It is working as advertised.

Spyder Garage

Any reason SmoothSpyder over Baker / you seem to know your stuff...

Spyder Garage

I will very likely be doing some if not all of the modifications you have done.. I had my bike sold and test drove a new one and quite honestly was NOT that impressed,,, so as it stands I'll be sticking w what I have for this riding season.. Lookin to do the cat delete, air cleaner and belt tensioner soon.. Where did you get your cat delete pipe from?? I know I'm not alone in stating my gratitude for your sharing of ALL this valuable info regarding our machines improvement
    Last edited by Mike,P; 04-05-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Font to small

Spyder Garage

Any reason SmoothSpyder over Baker
    Not really. When I did my research, there seemed to be many more people using the Smooth Spyder tensioner and the reviews were very positive.

Spyder Garage

I had my bike sold and test drove a new one and quite honestly was NOT that impressed,,, so as it stands I'll be sticking w what I have for this riding season..
    The 2013 has a bad reputation because of the heat issues which I think is unjustified. Some people had the problems, but the majority did not. I never had any of them with mine and if you did, there are fixes for it.

Where did you get your cat delete pipe from??
    When I ordered the cat bypass over the winter, I got it from Spyder1Attitude. It was expensive as it cost $450. However, I see that Lamont now offers a cat bypass for the 2013 and I believe it is $100 less, so I'd look to go that route if I was you. If you need links, then let me know.

I know I'm not alone in stating my gratitude for your sharing of ALL this valuable info regarding our machines improvement
    You are very welcome. My goal with this thread was to share ways to improve the Spyder to make it as good as it can be.

Spyder Garage

Is there a link to Lamont's cat bypass ??? I made a pointed effort to ride a 14 back to back w mine and yes it is improved in many ways BUT with the added weight the actual performance was the least of the improvements and I went on a looooong test ride.. I've never had any issues with heat either.. I had an 04 FJR 1300 back in 04 that I put 13,000 mi on in 8 wks / some people complained about the heat on that bike toooo and I never noticed the bike being any hotter than any other bike w Tupperware.. We rode through Death Valley when it was 118 and the bike was fine I'm not saying at all that anyone is exaggerating about the heat on the spyder but I've ridden mine in over 100 deg and not been made uncomfortable by the bikes heat ..

Spyder Garage

Is there a link to Lamont's cat bypass ??? I made a pointed effort to ride a 14 back to back w mine and yes it is improved in many ways BUT with the added weight the actual performance was the least of the improvements and I went on a looooong test ride.. I've never had any issues with heat either.. I had an 04 FJR 1300 back in 04 that I put 13,000 mi on in 8 wks / some people complained about the heat on that bike toooo and I never noticed the bike being any hotter than any other bike w Tupperware.. We rode through Death Valley when it was 118 and the bike was fine I'm not saying at all that anyone is exaggerating about the heat on the spyder but I've ridden mine in over 100 deg and not been made uncomfortable by the bikes heat ..
    Here is a link to the thread for Lamont's cat bypass:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=lamont+bypass

He owns Pitbull Powersports. Here is a link to his website, but I did not see the cat bypass listed yet even though I believe he is selling it. Your best bet is to call.

http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/index.htm

I also agree with your comments regarding the heat. I have ridden street bikes since I was 20 years old and every bike I have ever had throws just as much heat as my 2013 - especially when you get into stop and go traffic. If the first bike that people have ever owned is the Spyder, then they have nothing to compare it to which could be where many of the complaints are coming from.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    I went to check the Trim tables on the AutoTune today and much to my surprise, they were both at zero. I then noticed that the Target AFR table values were all zero (see below) as well which means that the AutoTune was being told that it had nothing to adjust for.

I then decided to start over. I got the proper Dyno Jet base map and configured it for the dual channel AutoTune (AT-300). When you do that, it complains because the base map is configured for the single channel AutoTune (AT-200) and if you continue, it clears both of those tables - which is the root cause of the problem.

Once you commit it, it creates a new structure for the map for the AT-300. The other thing I noticed is that the new structure created a separate Fuel table for each cylinder. I think it got messed up because when I configured things over the winter, I did it off the bike without the AutoTune connected and powered. The only thing now left to do was duplicate the values for the Target AFR and Fuel tables from the original base map.

So now, my game plan is to run it and see if the problem is resolved. If anyone is installing the AT-300, I can send you this base map to save you the trouble of having to create it.
    Just quick update on this post. I have confirmed that this is the problem with why the AutoTune was not working. My wife and I went out for a nice ride today and when I got back, I checked the trim tables and they now have adjustments for each cylinder. Seeing that was kind of cool because the values between cylinders were different which verifies that each cylinder is getting a map specific to itself. I am going to give it a couple of hundred miles to let it keep adjusting and then I'll post some screen shots of the trims that were made.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

He owns Pitbull Powersports. Here is a link to his website, but I did not see the cat bypass listed yet even though I believe he is selling it. Your best bet is to call.

I also agree with your comments regarding the heat. I have ridden street bikes since I was 20 years old and every bike I have ever had throws just as much heat as my 2013 - especially when you get into stop and go traffic. If the first bike that people have ever owned is the Spyder, then they have nothing to compare it to which could be where many of the complaints are coming from.
    Correction: Lamont DOES NOT own Pitbull Powersports. Len Damouth does. The Lamonster Garage and Pitbull Powersports are in an agreement to support each other.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Correction: Lamont DOES NOT own Pitbull Powersports. Len Damouth does. The Lamonster Garage and Pitbull Powersports are in an agreement to support each other.
    Thanks for the correction. I did not know that. Do they operate out of the same location?

Spyder Garage

They all throw heat that is true but the only bike that roasted my nads like this one does was a Buell XB kind of the same issue lots of stuff crammed in a small area and header pipe that has no air flow to remove heat or dissipate it. Now the mods you have done and I am doing will mitigate this. I do not think that the only ones that are bitching are those who are first time owners I have owned and ridden so many miles that it is hard to remember. This bike has some real design flaws plain and simple BRP knows it and is NOT taking the action to fix it in a quick and efficient manner. So far this little flaw has caused me over $2K but that is better than taking bath for 8-10K on trade. In my case I just decided to take it into my own hands as you did.

By the way I have really cool Viritka Intake panels back and one side mounted the other side will be on tonight the Boa Snake hydrographic looks awesome so I will do the entire bike in that Pattern and the intake vents look like they should move moocho air through the engine compartment. That is really going to keep things cooler.

I am watching with interest the PC thing I still have trepidation on what I posted earlier time will tell.

Spyder Garage

Air vent panels installed the air vents are as wide as the mirror and they have direct line to the top of the engine with the air cleaner monstrosity removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    This bike has some real design flaws plain and simple BRP knows it and is NOT taking the action to fix it in a quick and efficient manner. So far this little flaw has caused me over $2K but that is better than taking bath for 8-10K on trade. In my case I just decided to take it into my own hands as you did.
    I am definitely lucky because I did not experience any excessive heat with mine last summer before doing all of the mods. I know that others have and the melted parts prove it. I think that the fact that the entire engine is enclosed with literally no room for circulation is a big part of the problem. Possibly lean fuel maps was another which is hopefully fixed by the latest ECM update.

I totally agree about not taking the $8K - $10K bath. I'm sure the 2014 is nice, but I have read in more than one review that the improvements - especially the engine are nominal. The 2013 has the same chassis. Therefore, money is best spent fixing what you've got.

I am watching with interest the PC thing I still have trepidation on what I posted earlier time will tell.
    The weather this week has sucked, so I'm hoping to get at least 200 more miles on it before I commit the trim tables. Right now, the FI is perfect and my trim tables are showing the real time adjustments. However, I will feel better once I successfully commit them to the base map. I will post the trim table values when I do.

Spyder Garage

Air vent panels installed the air vents are as wide as the mirror and they have direct line to the top of the engine with the air cleaner monstrosity removed.
    Where did you get those? Do they come painted or just primed? How hard are they to install? I wasn't aware of those when I bought the adjustable BRP vents.

Spyder Garage

Viritka Trikes.

primed only I had them hydrographic dipped and then clear coated the total in the parts and painting was almost $1500.00.

the pattern is hard to see but I had them put a Boa snake skin pattern to see how I liked it and it may be hard to see but the entire Spyder will converted to Boa snake next Winter it turned out that good.

tomorrow I will put light inside the engine area and snap another pic then you can see the entire area of these vents they very effective.

as as easy to install as the stock panels

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the correction. I did not know that. Do they operate out of the same location?
    The Lamonster Garage and Pitbull Powersports are essentially right next to each other. Pitbull's service section will be moving to Lamonster Garage so Pitbull can expand their showroom. When Len opened Pitbull early last year, it was understandably with some trepidation and a rightful decision to not go too big at the start. However, his reputation, service, and customer support were so exceptional that it was obvious by late in the year that he had unfortunately been a bit too conservative on sizing his dealership.

I have no doubt that the partnership between Pitbull Powersports and Lamonster Garage will be an extraordinary success. Len and Lamont are exceptional people with incredible technical skills and a finely honed understanding of exceptional customer support. I can't wait to see how wonderfully this will work out.

Silver Shadow

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

I talked to Len today,,,he seems like a great person to deal with so I plan on doing some mods on my 13 soon and will be sending some buissiness his way

Spyder Garage

I talked to Len today,,,he seems like a great person to deal with so I plan on doing some mods on my 13 soon and will be sending some buissiness his way
    I was very impressed with Len as well. I spoke with him on a couple of occasions before ordering the Elkas and I never felt that he was trying to rush me or get me off the phone. I would definitely do business with him again.

Spyder Garage

Today I went through the process of committing the Trim tables to the Dyno Jet base map that I started with. The greatest trim percentage adjustment I saw was 10%. The attached images show the new fuel tables for each cylinder. If you load them into a viewer and then move to the next image, you can see where there are adjustment differences between the two cylinders.

Before committing the trim tables, I saw that the rear cylinder had far more trim adjustments than the front cylinder. That is the advantage of the dual channel Auto-Tune where you get a custom map for each cylinder. If anyone has similar modifications on their Spyder and are investing in a PCV, but don't want to purchase the AutoTune, I can send you my latest map.

New Fuel Table - Cylinder 1 - 2014.04.18.jpg New Fuel Table - Cylinder 2 - 2014.04.18.jpg

Spyder Garage

Today I went through the process of committing the Trim tables to the Dyno Jet base map that I started with. The greatest trim percentage adjustment I saw was 10%. The attached images show the new fuel tables for each cylinder. If you load them into a viewer and then move to the next image, you can see where there are adjustment differences between the two cylinders.

Before committing the trim tables, I saw that the rear cylinder had far more trim adjustments than the front cylinder. That is the advantage of the dual channel Auto-Tune where you get a custom map for each cylinder. If anyone has similar modifications on their Spyder and are investing in a PCV, but don't want to purchase the AutoTune, I can send you my latest map.

New Fuel Table - Cylinder 1 - 2014.04.18.jpg New Fuel Table - Cylinder 2 - 2014.04.18.jpg
    Did you have the 2013-9 ECM update done? If not maybe they evened out the 2 cylinders a little mine seems to be a bit more smooth on take off. Not sure if it was fuel management changes or not
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Did you have the 2013-9 ECM update done? If not maybe they evened out the 2 cylinders a little mine seems to be a bit more smooth on take off. Not sure if it was fuel management changes or not
    I have not had it done, but I have not ruled it out yet. My bet is that the update did include FI mapping changes. When you look at the adjustments on the PCV base map and the adjustments being made by the AutoTune compared to stock, they are adding fuel to the map. I still think that the OEM map is lean which is part of the reason for the heat issues.

Spyder Garage

I have not had it done, but I have not ruled it out yet. My bet is that the update did include FI mapping changes. When you look at the adjustments on the PCV base map and the adjustments being made by the AutoTune compared to stock, they are adding fuel to the map. I still think that the OEM map is lean which is part of the reason for the heat issues.
    If you DO get it done you will be able to compare maps and tells us if it did richen it up since BRP has kept the details secret.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I'm reading those tables correctly, fuel is being added at part throttle and subtracted when the throttle is at 60% and above. That would tell me the engine was running lean at cruise, which is expected, but I'm somewhat surprised that at full throttle, the OEM mixture may need to be leaned out by up to 20%.

Silver Shadow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    If I'm reading those tables correctly, fuel is being added at part throttle and subtracted when the throttle is at 60% and above. That would tell me the engine was running lean at cruise, which is expected, but I'm somewhat surprised that at full throttle, the OEM mixture may need to be leaned out by up to 20%.
    That is how I read it too. The AutoTune is at least 8% richer up to 60% throttle and in some cases up to 24% leaner at full throttle. So the OEM map is lean where most people do their riding and rich more toward full throttle. What I can tell you is that the FI right now is perfect on the bike.