Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Making the 2013 Spyder RT-S "Perfect"

My wife and I have now owned our 2013 RT-S for about 6 months and we've put a total of 4500+ miles on it so far. During this time, I had left it stock in order to let it break in and to put on some miles in order to do a proper evaluation before shelling out money for improvements. Based on that, the following list outlines all of the changes I plan to make during the winter:

Akrapovic Exhaust - Based on my past 2-wheel experience, the OEM exhaust is typically overly restrictive and replacing it often allows the bike to run the way the factory wanted it to.

Cat Removal - Why the Spyder has this is beyond me. Knowing that it is also a big heat generator under the Tupperware, it's coming out.

PCV with AutoTune - To make sure I don't run too lean with the cat removal and Akrapovic, I'm adding the PCV - which I have past experience with. Also hearing that the rear cylinder can run leaner than the front, I'm adding the dual channel AutoTune so that each cylinder can be mapped independently.

ELKA 1+R Suspension - I'm adding these both front and rear. For touring, we want a nicer ride and I'm hoping that through turns, it makes the VSS less likely to kick in.

ISCI Front Brake - I don't understand why the Spyder did not come with one. I've ridden 2 wheels for the last 25 years and I always keep a finger on the front brake. The Spyder's rear brake by itself is lame and in my opinion, unsafe.

BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - The stock deflectors are in the closed position and they do not allow air to flow over the upper vents. I would think that by allowing air over those vents will help to pull hot air up and out of the Tupperware.

Ignition Wire Set & Plugs - I've seen that the OEM wires have caused people problems, so for the price, I'm replacing them.

Spyderpops Bump Skid - I like idea of the added protection that it offers and I also think it enhances the look of the Spyder.

BajaRon Sway Bar & Chromoly Heim Joints - I've actually already added the sway bar, then added the chromoly joints after the stock one snapped. This was definitely a nice enhancement and would recommend it.

I know I have a lot of updates that potentially address the heat related issues, but I want to be clear that I have not experienced or have had any heat related problems. However, I also want to be proactive, so if there is any way I can reduce heat or fend off potential problems, then I will.

Lastly, with the cat removal, Akrapovic and PCV / AutoTune additions, I hope to optimize the performance of this bike. From what I've read, an 8+ HP increase is possible.

I'll update this thread with my progress as it happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added 12/24/2013:

KewlMetal Air Filter Kit - I've started to tear into the Spyder to remove the header pipes and install BajaRon's plug / wire kit and was shocked to that there is no room in there to work. I came across the KewlMetal air filter kit which opens up all kinds of space under the hood and provides its own benefits as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added 12/30/2013:

Evap Canister Removal - One of the issues that I did have was the smell of gasoline in the garage after parking the Spyder. I came across a thread on this forum that identified the evap canister as the culprit and showed a very simple way for removing it altogether.

Added 01/19/2014:

Ceramic Coating - The header pipes and cat bypass "Y" pipe are out to be ceramic coated. The shop told me that the ceramic coating will reduce the amount of emitted heat by 50%. My research on the topic supports that estimate.

Belt Tensioner - I do get belt vibration between 45-65 MPH, depending on the riding and throttle conditions. I ordered the Smooth Spyder tensioner as I have only heard positive things about it.
    Last edited by stewartj239; 01-19-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    My wife and I have now owned our 2013 RT-S for about 6 months and we've put a total of 4500+ miles on it so far. During this time, I had left it stock in order to let it break in and to put on some miles in order to do a proper evaluation before shelling out money for improvements. Based on that, the following list outlines all of the changes I plan to make during the winter:

Akrapovic Exhaust - Based on my past 2-wheel experience, the OEM exhaust is typically overly restrictive and replacing it often allows the bike to run the way the factory wanted it to.

Cat Removal - Why the Spyder has this is beyond me. Knowing that it is also a big heat generator under the Tupperware, it's coming out.

PCV with AutoTune - To make sure I don't run too lean with the cat removal and Akrapovic, I'm adding the PCV - which I have past experience with. Also hearing that the rear cylinder can run leaner than the front, I'm adding the dual channel AutoTune so that each cylinder can be mapped independently.

ELKA 1+R Suspension - I'm adding these both front and rear. For touring, we want a nicer ride and I'm hoping that through turns, it makes the VSS less likely to kick in.

ISCI Front Brake - I don't understand why the Spyder did not come with one. I've ridden 2 wheels for the last 25 years and I always keep a finger on the front brake. The Spyder's rear brake by itself is lame and in my opinion, unsafe.

BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - The stock deflectors are in the closed position and they do not allow air to flow over the upper vents. I would think that by allowing air over those vents will help to pull hot air up and out of the Tupperware.

Ignition Wire Set & Plugs - I've seen that the OEM wires have caused people problems, so for the price, I'm replacing them.

Spyderpops Bump Skid - I like idea of the added protection that it offers and I also think it enhances the look of the Spyder.

BajaRon Sway Bar & Chromoly Heim Joints - I've actually already added the sway bar, then added the chromoly joints after the stock one snapped. This was definitely a nice enhancement and would recommend it.

I know I have a lot of updates that potentially address the heat related issues, but I want to be clear that I have not experienced or have had any heat related problems. However, I also want to be proactive, so if there is any way I can reduce heat or fend off potential problems, then I will.

Lastly, with the cat removal, Akrapovic and PCV / AutoTune additions, I hope to optimize the performance of this bike. From what I've read, an 8+ HP increase is possible.

I'll update this thread with my progress as it happens.
    You might look at the CanAm Cannon in my thread for"New exhaust for the 2010-2013 RT. I have a you tube linked to it also. The Sound is a deeper bass than the Akropovic and the looks are a lot nicer imho. I like Chrome I guess. Look for the thread started by Mooseman.
    Last edited by Mooseman; 11-25-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add text

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stewart,
    You've taken a very wise route to the formation of this great list; you gave yourself the benefit of TIME, in order to get it right!
    It sounds as if your better half won't be seeing much of you this Winter. Keep the garage warm enough, and send out for pizza!
    (And don't forget to take lots of pictures!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well done..!!

now that the planning and testing is done you are going to be a busy guy...good luck on all these mods...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm originally from Syracuse and have a daughter and three grandkids who live there . . . I plan on riding up next summer . . . maybe we can get together and I can see how all those mods look!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I think the only three suggestions I would make would be:

1. Wrap the exhaust pipes from the head back to the exhaust. It will help you in 3 ways; keeps exhaust gas velocity up (by keeping heat in), reduces the noise (so you can enjoy the new muffler), and reduce the heat problems the 2013 models seem to have. Search the site, others have done this and posted their results. I plan on doing this for my 2012 RT-S.

2. Put a drive belt tensioner on. I have done this and you will be very pleased how smoother the bike feels.

3. Swap out your front/rear brake pads to EBC V pads. The brake feel is much better.

I will be waiting to see what results you achieve with the PCV. I plan on doing the same but also considering adding the switch to allow dual maps to be used. It doesn't add much cost given the investment in the other electronic components and thought having MAP for best MPG while highway cruising would be useful.

1 question: I noticed many farkles like different seat, floorboards or 12v accessory outlets for cold weather riding gear... Do you have any plans in this direction?

Jerry

Spyder Garage

While I agree that the Spyder should have come with a hand brake, I don't agree that the foot brake is dangerous.

But that's me.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    While I agree that the Spyder should have come with a hand brake, I don't agree that the foot brake is dangerous.

But that's me.
    I agree and from what I understand the ISCI hand brake is merely a way to engage the same brakes that are already activated by the foot brake. You don't get any additional braking power just a different means to engage them. Now that said if I were to buy a hand brake the ISCI hand brake is the only one I would consider. They make quality stuff!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I can sympathise with you on the hand brake. Had it on my 2010 . My reason for putting it on at the time was I had a broken right ankle. Like you I rode two-wheelers for many years using the front brake. Habits are hard to break. The system does not change the Spyder braking system in any way. It merely pushes on foot brake lever. You will see the foot lever go down as you pull in the lever. Over time you will notice yourself using it less and less. I do not regret putting it on. looking to buy another machine before spring. Mine was totalled last August. Many controversies with 2013 & 2014's. I'm gonna wait it out. Hope they get it right before Spyderfest 2014. Still looking at used machines. Might be only way out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I agree and from what I understand the ISCI hand brake is merely a way to engage the same brakes that are already activated by the foot brake. You don't get any additional braking power just a different means to engage them. Now that said if I were to buy a hand brake the ISCI hand brake is the only one I would consider. They make quality stuff!
    Great folks, with even BETTER products!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I'm originally from Syracuse and have a daughter and three grandkids who live there . . . I plan on riding up next summer . . . maybe we can get together and I can see how all those mods look!
    Definitely!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    1. Wrap the exhaust pipes from the head back to the exhaust. It will help you in 3 ways; keeps exhaust gas velocity up (by keeping heat in), reduces the noise (so you can enjoy the new muffler), and reduce the heat problems the 2013 models seem to have. Search the site, others have done this and posted their results. I plan on doing this for my 2012 RT-S.
    I am going to look into ceramic coating for the header pipes. If that is not the way to go, then I will definitely wrap them while they're off to have the AutoTune O2 sensor bungs welded in.

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    1 question: I noticed many farkles like different seat, floorboards or 12v accessory outlets for cold weather riding gear... Do you have any plans in this direction?
    No plans. I have an SM5, so I think the floorboards are out, comfort is great for me and no complaints from my wife. For cold weather riding, this fall, I was out in 25 degree weather and was fine as I dress appropriately. Also, the heated hand grips are a life-saver.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once in a while, I've got to head up to Syracuse for continuing education courses... If I'm coming your way; I'll send up a flare!
    WylieC and I had a chance to meet up in your neck of the woods a while back...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post

But that's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You've got to look at the context of how I said what I did. I am not saying there is a design flaw by only having a rear brake. I'm saying that I ALWAYS ride a motorcycle with a finger on the front brake lever so I can react immediately if necessary. You cannot do that with the Spyder's rear brake pedal, so your reaction time for getting on the brakes is far worse than having a front brake setup. So for my personal riding style, it is a safety issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Once in a while, I've got to head up to Syracuse for continuing education courses... If I'm coming your way; I'll send up a flare!
    WylieC and I had a chance to meet up in your neck of the woods a while back...
    Yes, please do. There are lots of great places to ride. Just southwest of here are the Finger Lakes and north of here are the Adirondack Mountains.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've got some decent riding down here as well...
    To get to us:
    81 South, to 17 East...
    exit 100: Liberty
    Rte 55 East for about 13 miles or so

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No; it isn't...
    But there's a "sequel"...

Do you remember the old Sullivan's Department Store? It's right across the road from that site; next ot the Pizza Hut.

Spyder Garage

Default Ceramic Coating

I just spoke with a local shop that does ceramic coating. I'm going to have them do that for the header pipes and in addition, they will weld on the O2 sensor bungs for the AutoTune as well. That makes it easy for me. What I learned is that not only does the ceramic coating reduce heat, but it also adds HP. Probably not much, but it sure does sound good

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know how this all comes together!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Getting used to of having no hand brake. I don't miss it any more.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

At this point, I have everything on my list ordered and the parts are starting to trickle in. Today I received the BajaRon spark plug wire set and the BRP adjustable wind deflectors in chrome. I think I did good on the wind deflectors as the retail price is $189.99 and I paid $161.49. I could not find them any cheaper. Also, the cat bypass kit and the PCV are on back order, so those items will be delayed. I'm hoping that it is because of the the high demand for the RT parts

Spark Plug Wire Set.jpg Chrome Wind Deflector.jpg

Spyder Garage

The Akrapovic Sport Touring Silencer showed up yesterday. This definitely looks like a quality product. It also seems to be extremely light. I can't wait to get the stock silencer off so I can determine the weight difference. I will post that number once I have it.

Also, I think I got an incredible deal on it. Retail price is $899 and I only paid $499 plus $25 for shipping, so I'm into it for only $524. It was new and unopened - in the original box, packaging, etc.

Akrapovic-1.jpg Akrapovic-2.jpg

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    The Akrapovic Sport Touring Silencer showed up yesterday. This definitely looks like a quality product. It also seems to be extremely light. I can't wait to get the stock silencer off so I can determine the weight difference. I will post that number once I have it.

Also, I think I got an incredible deal on it. Retail price is $899 and I only paid $499 plus $25 for shipping, so I'm into it for only $524. It was new and unopened - in the original box, packaging, etc.

Akrapovic-1.jpg Akrapovic-2.jpg
    how'd you get it so cheap???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    how'd you get it so cheap???
    I got lucky. I had been watching a few different eBay listings when this one popped up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...vip=true&rt=nc

Come to find out, I was the only bidder and got it for $499.

If anyone is still looking for a good deal on the Akrapovic. Here is the listing for the one I was going to buy. At $624.99 or best offer, I think it is a good buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKRAPOVIC-SP...56f123&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

The ELKA suspension showed up this week as well. I ended up going with the Stage 1+R front and rear. I want to thank Len at PitBull Powersports for taking the time to speak with me regarding what my needs were, then suggesting what shock combination would work best to address the "Nanny" issue and the wandering issue on sub-prime roads. I also appreciate the time taken to discuss my riding style along with getting the necessary information for setting up the shocks so that they are ready to go right out of the box.

Elka-1.jpg