Spyder Garage

Default just installed the Custom Dynamics Double Feature license plate replacement lens

UPDATE NOT RECOMMENDED ANYMORE. SEE MY REPLY FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD HERE. :-(

CUSTDYNAMICS-SPY-TAIL-REF = Custom Dynamics® new Double Feature™ replacement lens provides both a reflector and running light function. Add more visibility to the rear of your Can-Am Spyder with our new Double Feature™ replacement lens. Our unit is a direct replacement for the stock unit on 2008-2012 RS Series Spyders and can be installed in less than 2 minutes

unscrewed the OEM one and installed the new one (added blue loctite to the entire screw hoping that some threads would hold)

took about 5 mins tops

Here is the before pictures (note for those wondering about what the LED Center brake light looks like (I have one installed))

here are the OEM vs Double Feature Lens look

after install

Quick easy way to add a little bit more running lights for free. does not change the incandescent bulb just allows the light to shine out the rear of the reflector lens on the fender.
    Last edited by clueless; 05-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

If your handy with a rotozip you can mod the oem reflector to remove the back black plastic on the lower half and get similar results.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default center brake light with sport rack??

It looks like you have the Custom Dynamics 3rd/center brake light installed with the sport rack. Am I seeing that correctly? I thought you couldn't have the light with the rack?

Spyder Garage

Default Nice !!

Great addition. Check out the vololights license plate brakelight system. Another great addition...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes pittbull guys mounted it on top of sport rack. It works but not flush. But better to have 3rd light then not install because not totally flush

Spyder Garage

Update NOT RECOMMENDED!

The lens alone is too weak to be the mounting point.

I broke one lens cover = covering and remove the Spyder ST-S full cover.

Called Custom Dynamics and they blamed it on the loctite I installed. I thought OK googled and sure enough occasionally loctite makes certain plastics brittle. I asked him if they could ship me a new one before I left for Spyderfest. He said not under warranty and best deal was $5 off and I had to pay shipping. They wouldn't even sell me a replacement at dealer price or cost.

I said let me talk to manager. She waived the shipping but only standard shipping

On way to Spyderfest hit a bump and the lens cover = same break again! The bolt stays on the bike the lens breaks around the bolt.

I even tightened lightly when I installed. And no loctite this time.
    Last edited by clueless; 05-06-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

So bottom line mod the own one instead.

Also customer service at custom dynamics SUCKS.

Any LED stuff get from TricLED Reggie backs his stuff and great customer service

Spyder Garage

Solution for custom dynamics... The problem is that the support and stress of mounting the lens is on a small portion or plastic with no reinforcement. What I did was take one of the broken ones and use a larger washer to distribute the stress over the face of the cover.

I painted the silver washer black so it wouldn't stand out as much.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]uploadfromtaptalk1401136637765.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I replaced the OEM POS after it broke on me due to hitting the front lip of my bed of my truck during transport. I bought the CD LED license plate holder and then went to a truck accessories store and bought a truck brake light that fits right into the spot where there OEM cover sat. I tied the brake wire to the center brake light, and tied the running and license plate wires in together and ground to ground. and so far, it's working beautifully.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Joet82 you got any pics?

Just disappointed and disgusted at custom dynamics.
    They know they have an issue with this cover. Then to blame the customer for it sucks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Update NOT RECOMMENDED!

The lens alone is too weak to be the mounting point.

I broke one lens cover = covering and remove the Spyder ST-S full cover.

Called Custom Dynamics and they blamed it on the loctite I installed. I thought OK googled and sure enough occasionally loctite makes certain plastics brittle. I asked him if they could ship me a new one before I left for Spyderfest. He said not under warranty and best deal was $5 off and I had to pay shipping. They wouldn't even sell me a replacement at dealer price or cost.

I said let me talk to manager. She waived the shipping but only standard shipping

On way to Spyderfest hit a bump and the lens cover = same break again! The bolt stays on the bike the lens breaks around the bolt.

I even tightened lightly when I installed. And no loctite this time.

Mine just broke for the second time! This time just fell off while riding(screw and plastic ring retained)
    First time BRP cover caught on it and lens broke at mounting point! I was able to get it replaced with "good faith" letter. Now I wonder what to expect ;think I'll just ask for a refund and see what happens.. I'll post results.
    Update; I got the Loctite question (which I didn't use).
    Now being referred to Warranty dept because this is the first they heard of this happening twice!
    Last edited by jneg2; 06-01-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Curious what they will say. Did they ever refund you?
    Last edited by clueless; 06-18-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I removed mine altogether. Used a 1/2" piece of plastic as well as a thin piec to make lic plate frame. I also got bolt lights to illuminate the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST-Ltd
    Flame Red '04 GL1800
    '97 GL1500
    '95 GL1500
    '89 GL1500
    '83 GL1100
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Curious what they will say. Did they ever refund you?
    They gave me store credit minus the postage! No idea what I'll do with it.

Spyder Garage
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    They gave me store credit minus the postage! No idea what I'll do with it.
    I decided to skip the UFO look and add the Spider logos.. Fore and aft.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jneg2 View Post
    I decided to skip the UFO look and add the Spider logos.. Fore and aft.

BTW, the front logo badge is smaller than the original! Can't win here.. Am I too particular?

Spyder Garage

Ok, update on this again; got partial refund on undersized front badge, and reinstated gift certificate. So I decided to give the rear lens another shot, now that I know how to secure it. I feel like I'm writing a book on this!