Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Well, how is it running?
    Sorry I haven't been back on. Been busy with school work.
    The bike is running hotter than it originally did. I never had a heat problem. Also I was sitting at a stop light and the bike completely cut off. It also never did that before. I am trying to be optomistic. I will make a decision on whether I am keeping this after putting at least 1000 miles to break in the rebuilt engine.

Also I have not heard from the BRP rep since this bike has been returned to me.
    Last edited by Debedwards93; 11-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Don't have a '13 but have read many reports of them cutting off. The good news is. It should stop doing it once you have a few hundred miles on it. At least that is what has been reported here. All the best to you, and am glad to hear you're keeping an open mind.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Rebuilt vs Restored

Not sure as far as bikes go but a "rebuilt" engine in aviation does NOT have to meet original OEM specs whereas a "restored" engines does.

-Mike
    <Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Rebuilt vs Restored

Not sure as far as bikes go but a "rebuilt" engine in aviation does NOT have to meet original OEM specs whereas a "restored" engines does.

-Mike
    In automotive circles "restored" means something else, altogether, applying to antique vehicles. Automobiles and motorcyle engines are generally refered to as "rebuilt" or "remanufactured". Although BRP calls this a "rebuilt", their description above indicates to me that it would more correctly be called "remanufactured"...or even "blueprinted". In general engines that are "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" by the OEM manufacturer rather than a rebuild shop or a dealer, have closer scrutiny and better, cleaner assembly than engines off the production line. They are very carefull about tolerances and assembly techniques in the rebuild shop...and they are not trying to beat flat rate.

Another question comes to mind here, and if Steve from BRP could answer, it might ease some minds (or worry folks more). What does BRP consider to be a "short block"? In automotive circles it is a bare engine without the cylinder heads, whereas a "long block" is a bare engine with heads...and ofteny the water pump. BRP could look at it differently, considering a short block to be an engine without certain external parts, but having the heads installed. In that way the oiled parts would all be fresh, with no chance of contamination or damage, unless the external oiling system was not thoroughly cleaned (or replaced).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We all could just be dancing around this game of semantics...
    Does anybody actually know what is considered to be a "short block" by BRP?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default short block

a short block is like a light year, a light year has 20 % less calories than a regular year
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good explanation!

Spyder Garage

Not sure about "Short Block" but I can explain "Short Bus"!

-Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sarcasm

"a short block is like a light year, a light year has 20 % less calories than a regular year "

Are comments like these necessary??/

If it were my bike and I was trying to correct warranty issues, I would be disappointed in the
    juvenile sarcasm posted here.

These aren't inexpensive pieces of equipment.

I sincerely hope Deb gets a satisfactory resolution.

For those who continue with the acerbic remarks, please try to be more understanding, or just DON'T comment

Remember,what goes around, comes around!!! JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grab onto yourself...
    John was trying to keep the mood light; a trait that evidently escapes some folks in here...
    If he hadn't done it; I probably would have!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    "a short block is like a light year, a light year has 20 % less calories than a regular year "

If it were my bike and I was trying to correct warranty issues, I would be disappointed in the

For those who continue with the acerbic remarks, please try to be more understanding, or just DON'T comment

Speaking of ascerbic remarks.....
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only 3 posts; I'm willing to give 'em a pass...

Spyder Garage

Default just to show you if you read my other posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post

just my two cents

as a rule most engines that blow are replaced with a re manufactured one, even in cars. but i do feel you should call brp and ask for a new and not rebuilt. if you feel the top end might be contaminated with fragments tell them that also, and make sure you ask what kind of warranty you get with the new rebuilt motor. it will most likely be 1 year but get them to give you everything in writing.

don't get me wrong

i would be the biggest pest they had about getting a new motor but as long as i get full coverage on a re conditioned one there is nothing you can really do
    i am dealing with heat issues and i feel for the person with engine problems, but we are at their mercy. so i was making a joke with my light year comment. i really need to read my book again. HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE. and the way i have been attacked on here i should call my shrink, but he shot himself right after my last visit. I WONDER WHY ???
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what BRP gets for trying to go above and beyond....

What they should have done is tore the motor down, replaced only the failed parts and slapped it all back together. That type of repair would have gotten FAR LESS attention from the peanut gallery.

Isn't it time to move on?...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw a chain across this one, and let's find something else to bicker about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Throw a chain across this one, and let's find something else to bicker about.

It's getting a little old.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It's getting a little old.
    Glad you are all having fun at my expense. I am sorry I bothered to get some advise and help here.
    To all that did thank you.
    I an still not happy with this rebuilt at this time. It is still cutting off. Did it again today at a stop light with alit of traffic. Didn't make this product look too good.
    I hope none of you have to go through any of this. Maybe the smart asses.
    Still trying to be optomistic...now I am even getting worse gas mileage too.
    Not sure if it has anything to do with the new engine
    But I really don't want to start anything else on this thread so wish you all the best and hope you don't have this problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    Glad you are all having fun at my expense. I am sorry I bothered to get some advise and help here.
    I an still not happy with this rebuilt at this time. It is still cutting off. Did it again today at a stop light with alit of traffic. Didn't make this product look too good.
    But I really don't want to start anything else on this thread so wish you all the best and hope you don't have this problem.
    It takes while for the ECM to set the proper gas tables. A lot of us had stalling issues in the first 1000 miles. Unless you are getting a warning light keep riding it should stop after a while. It is somewhat normal with a new engine. Whether or not you believe you have a "new engine" even if it has been rebuilt. It takes some time to break in.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    The stalling seems to be a mark of these 2013 engines and the fuel management system. It would be worrisome to me, too, but it does seem to disappear as your miles accumulate. That would indicate that it may have something to do with being a tight engine, which should encourage you that the engine is every bit as good as a brand new one. Still, I would be on the dealer (and BRP) real hard to get it running right. Whether or not "they all do it", stalling is unacceptable and can pose a serious safety hazard under some conditions. Maybe if more people report the problem to the NHTSA some pressure can be brought to bear. Nobody needs to be rear-ended because their vehicle stalled needlessly.

The drop in gas mileage is also often an indicator of a tight, new engine. The mileage usually increases after a few thousand miles. On the other hand, it could very likely be related to the stalling problem. If the dealer did not install new spark plug wires, that is the first place I would look. The OEM wires are crap, and they usually die about the first time they are removed. Ignition problems from bad plug wires can cause both stalling and a drop in fuel mileage. Time to lean on your dealer again. These sound like they are more problems with the work thatn the quality of the remanufactured engine. JMHO
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default engine

My engine blew back in May, I have an RS-S 2011. They diagnosed it and determined that a timing chain had broken and literally destroyed the inside of the engine. They replaced it with a new one from the manufacture, I made sure by taking it to my mechanic that does not work for the dealer, he assured me that it is a new engine. I think that it's ridiculous that BRP would not replace your engine with a new one, with all of the money they make selling these spyders you would think that they would want to maintain some type of good reputation with the owners of the vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The stalling seems to be a mark of these 2013 engines and the fuel management system.
    Scotty, she has a 2012 not a 2013.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default engine

i have never had my bike stall but i do have very bad gas millage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myronmathis View Post
    My engine blew back in May, I have an RS-S 2011. They diagnosed it and determined that a timing chain had broken and literally destroyed the inside of the engine. They replaced it with a new one from the manufacture, I made sure by taking it to my mechanic that does not work for the dealer, he assured me that it is a new engine. I think that it's ridiculous that BRP would not replace your engine with a new one, with all of the money they make selling these spyders you would think that they would want to maintain some type of good reputation with the owners of the vehicles.
    With all due respect to your mechanic, unless he removed the engine and tore it down, there is no way he could tell new from factory rebuilt. Even if he did tear it down, would be doubtful. You got a factory BRP engine alright but likely not 'new' just new to you.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When these engines are fresh; they seem to want to stall at some of the least opportune times for a coupl eof hundred miles... Once they get their throats cleared;
    Deb,
    The humor wasn't at your expense; it was just trying to keep folks calm...
    As I said earlier; if John hadn't done it, I probably would have... no insult was ever intended!

Spyder Garage

Your timing chain broke too? I wonder how often that happens. That is what happened to my 2012 RTS.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790