So how's it running?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Post Short block vs long block.

Ordinarily a short block is the block and rotating assembly. This does not include the heads and valve train, intake or exhaust nor any bolt-ons. A long block includes the short block plus the top end, heads and valve train, but still no intake, exhaust or bolt-ons. A new or rebuilt complete engine comes turn-key and in many cases ready to run. Don't forget there is a difference in a rebuilt short block and a new short block. Rebuilt infers some used parts were assembled in the buildup that were deemed up to spec. You should have gotten a long block if you had metal circulating in the engine.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks!
    Hi Debedwards93 - first off, I'm sorry this happened to you. An engine with less than 5k miles on it definitely should not have that problem - it's the first time I've seen that chain of mechanical events unfold. I sincerely hope that your Spyder experience going forward is problem-free with many miles of riding ahead of you. Your warranties be honored and we want you to ride with confidence. Any covered issues you might encounter down the road - whether related or not to this occurrence - will be handled by the warranty department.

I would, however, like to address some statements in this thread.

Anyway I think BRP should have given me a new engine, not a rebuilt short block!
    I wish BRP would stop using the term "rebuilt" for these units, as it's really nothing like what I've seen elsewhere in the industry. The amount of time, testing and measuring that goes into them is staggering, as they're often sent out to folks who have had a serious issue. Every part is measured and tested, and if it doesn't fall within ridiculously tight tolerances, it is discarded and replaced with a new part. Many parts are by default replaced with new ones, sight unseen. Everything is then assembled by a team of experts - not on an assembly line. Incidentally, in the ATV and Side-by-Side racing world, many professional race teams, for instance, insist on so-called "rebuilt" cranks for these very same reasons.

I've yet to see a BRP dealer with the same shop setup as the BRP factory for doing engine rebuilds.
    The procedure is generally performed at BRP, not at a dealer.

This is a standard repair in the industry, and has proven to be very successful if done properly.
    I can't get into numbers, but we have had phenomenal results with these short blocks. The Rotax engines are proven, solid designs with an excellent track record and reputation. The short block you have in your unit meets these standards. Ride your Spyder and enjoy!
    Last edited by BRPcare; 11-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Debedwards93 - first off, I'm sorry this happened to you. An engine with less than 5k miles on it definitely should not have that problem - it's the first time I've seen that chain of mechanical events unfold. I sincerely hope that your Spyder experience going forward is problem-free with many miles of riding ahead of you. Your warranties be honored and we want you to ride with confidence. Any covered issues you might encounter down the road - whether related or not to this occurrence - will be handled by the warranty department.

I wish BRP would stop using the term "rebuilt" for these units, as it's really nothing like what I've seen elsewhere in the industry. The amount of time, testing and measuring that goes into them is staggering, as they're often sent out to folks who have had a serious issue. Every part is measured and tested, and if it doesn't fall within ridiculously tight tolerances, it is discarded and replaced with a new part. Many parts are by default replaced with new ones, sight unseen. Everything is then assembled by a team of experts - not on an assembly line. Incidentally, in the ATV and Side-by-Side racing world, many professional race teams, for instance, insist on so-called "rebuilt" cranks for these very same reasons.

I can't get into numbers, but we have had phenomenal results with these short blocks. The Rotax engines are proven, solid designs with an excellent track record and reputation. The short block you have in your unit meets these standards. Ride your Spyder and enjoy!

what about the top end ? Is it treated the same as the short block ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post

Nice to see you post on this Steve You confirmed my earlier statement that a rebuilt can be as good or better than new and that race teams do it all the time.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    What does SpyderAnn's RT '13 fire have to do with a RT '12 rebuilt engine?
    BRP posted on this website that they would "do right" by spyderann regarding her getting a new Spyder after her's caught fire. I thought "new" was what they meant and not a "rebuilt" bike. Not so sure now.

One reason people buy new is emotional, to have something "clean" that no one has used before. And they pay a hefty premium to buy new. So a used motor shortchanges them. Imagine if your defective new mattress was replaced by a rebuilt used one. Yuckk!
    Last edited by spydercatjohn; 11-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default brp

i am trying to ask steve a question and quoting his post but it won't let me post. so what i am asking is what is going on with the fix for the 2013's and when will we hear something steve
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    BRP posted on this website that they would "do right" by spyderann regarding her getting a new Spyder after her's caught fire. I thought "new" was what they meant and not a "rebuilt" bike. Not so sure now.

One reason people buy new is emotional, to have something "clean" that no one has used before. And they pay a hefty premium to buy new. So a used motor shortchanges them. Imagine if your defective new mattress was replaced by a rebuilt used one. Yuckk!
    Why would you think she is getting a "rebuilt bike"? They have provide her with a loaner. Don't you think if they were going with a rebuilt they would have done it by now? Your analogy with a mattress is ......... to be polite, not appropriate.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i am trying to ask steve a question and quoting his post but it won't let me post. so what i am asking is what is going on with the fix for the 2013's and when will we hear something steve
    Why are you asking him that on this thread? Sorta hijacking it, isn't it?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post

My situation has nothing to do with this topic as Yazz was pointing out. BRP has taken care of my situation and I will be purchasing a 2014 when a RTS-SM6 is available.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default no hacking

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Why are you asking him that on this thread? Sorta hijacking it, isn't it?
    being seve from brp was on here i just wanted to ask a question. i would never hack a post
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, how is it running?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Rebuilt Short Block

Just my $0.02 cents worth

When I was into racing, I always requested a rebuilt crank usually 0.10 / 0.10. That means the bearing journals have been turned on a lath. Basically each bearing journal has been trued to the enter line of the crank. This process makes for a better (squarer) crank. This over-all rebuild process hold true for the rods and pistons too. The end result is by far a better product than a factory line built engine.

I hope you got your bike back and will enjoy it with out any further troubles.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Well, how is it running?
    THIS is the question that really needs answering...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guess he wasn't getting the answers he was looking for, he hasn't be back on SL since the 15th.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Why would you think she is getting a "rebuilt bike"? They have provide her with a loaner. Don't you think if they were going with a rebuilt they would have done it by now? Your analogy with a mattress is ......... to be polite, not appropriate.
    The analogy is obvious to anyone who values something "new" as does Deb. Ask your wife to explain it to you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Guess he wasn't getting the answers he was looking for, he hasn't be back on SL since the 15th.
    I kind of figured that it was just somebody who wasn't looking for a solution...

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honestly I wouldn't be happy with a "rebuilt" engine in my new bike either but I can see BRP's point on this so I understand. My only fear would be the dealers ability to finish the job correctly and make damn sure they got the junk cleaned out of everything being reused, including the oil tank and all the hoses. If all is well then go for it......
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't be happy with a "rebuilt" engine in my new bike either but I can see BRP's point on this so I understand. My only fear would be the dealers ability to finish the job correctly and make damn sure they got the junk cleaned out of everything being reused, including the oil tank and all the hoses. If all is well then go for it......
    Serious 5k miles is not a "new" bike anymore or auto for that matter. Just sayin'.....
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Florida has a " lemon law " in place but it does not over one failure events I don't have one here to read. But if my memory recall is working it covers repeated attempts by a dealer to repair a recurring problem to a motor vehicle. Say your engine failed three times or the dealer held it for a period in excess of 90 days. Then it would be subject to replacement. But as the complaint you must document all of your steps on pape. My spouse had a nephew that bought a Lexus that ate tires by the fourth set he lemon lawed it for a full refund to include interest.
    Sorry Bob, but the florida lemon law does not cover motorcycles be they 2 or three wheels. Unless they have changed it in the last 2 years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He didn't get the memo...

HEY!!! BIKES AREN'T COVERED UNDER FLORIDA'S LEMON LAWS!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a she not a he and she's not been on Facebook Grils on Spyders since then. I posted a link to this on Facebook so maybe she will see that BRP answered her.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Maybe she is out riding!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member