Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default just my two cents

as a rule most engines that blow are replaced with a re manufactured one, even in cars. but i do feel you should call brp and ask for a new and not rebuilt. if you feel the top end might be contaminated with fragments tell them that also, and make sure you ask what kind of warranty you get with the new rebuilt motor. it will most likely be 1 year but get them to give you everything in writing.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that you're just going to have to live with being unhappy...
    Sorry!

Or... Try riding the bike, and see if the "new" engine performs as it should.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil check

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is not fun, and it should not be expected, but it happens from time to time. If it did not, we wouldn't need warrantees. It is the response of the dealership and manufacturer that really matters. Yours has done a better than average job of making this right. Instead of having the damage repaired, they went to the extent of providing a rebuilt engine, with new parts that made it as good or better than what they replaced. Accepting the fact that they did more than they were required to should be a comfort, not a disappointment. You should expect a good long life from your machine now...but if it fails again, I expect they will take care of it.

Under these circumstances, getting the rebuilt engine, which was rebuilt by the factory and not the dealer that may have screwed things up, is just what you should want. Having had them dismantle and repair the engine themselves would have been a huge worry. I would also just consider having had them give you the oil as a goodwill gesture, not a crime or mark of incompetence.

On the other hand, advising you not to check the oil, or even to check it only every 2,000 miles is just plain irresponsible. It is the owner's responsibility to check the oil. BRP's maintenance schedule calls for you to do so every 300 miles. That is probably excessive, but I would do so after every service (in case the dealer screwed up), and at least every 500 until you see how the oil usage goes, and no more than every 1,000 thereafter if the oil usage will allow. The dealer should have showed you how to check the oil, among other things, when you took delivery. Finding another dealer might be appropriate. If not, I'd at least talk to the dealership owner and ask why his staff failed to do so. Please also note that there are other necessary maintenance tasks that the owner should perform periodically, like checking tire pressure. Motorcycles need closer attention and are more hands-on than the average automobile. Study the Owners Guide and have someone go over what you need to do and when.

Now get out there and ride the wheels off that thing!
    Really... What is the big deal checking the oil should be normal for any and all riders, or user of any motorized piece of equipment. After a ride take a minute and remove the panel and check the oil. Simple...not like changing the oil every time you ride. I think back over the years when we would 'rebuild' and engine to improve it's performance. Usually better than OEM if not we would about it and figure out why. Albeit I agree, 5100 miles should not be enough to cause failure, it is machine made and sometimes, just sometimes, the material is weak and breaks. It sux I know, but I certainly think the dealers prompt actions and reasonable response from BRP should be considered. I would ride on brother, ryde on and enjoy the heck out of the air in your face and the comfort for you butt!!! Good luck and enjoy.

Oh yea, an extra qt of oil is worth it to be on the safe side. I do it....Just saying!

Spyder Garage

Default Dissapointed with BRP

I suggest you contact the Council of Better Business Bureau in Arlington VA. Your state has a lemon law. Spyders are covered under the lemon law. You may file for arbitration with the BBB. The BBB will assist you without cost to you.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks! It is a 2012 RT-S and only had a tad over 5000 miles on it. For the ones that didn't know I brought it to my dealer at 4300 miles for a complete check up and oil change. Needless to say less than 800 miles later I had basically a blown engine. They told me the oil pressure regulator stuck and the oil pressure was not proper and broke ...a rear bearing putting flakes in the oil. Anyway BRP decided not to give me a new bike but to send my dealer a rebuilt short block to replace. Needless to say I am not a happy camper...I loved my Spyder...now I am very disappointed in BRP and my dealership. I am deciding on whether to get rid of it or not!! My value just went way down with this rebuilt. I only had this bike 4 months, and will lose my ass on a trade in!! This kind of service will not be good for BRP at all!! Now I am sorry I didn't go for the Tri-Glide in the first place. Some techs tried to convince me that the rebuilt short block was better than a new one because the part were broke in already and had expanded. I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine on a brand new bike but they did it anyway, telling me that the warranty on the bike allowed for it!
    Will probably call an attorney next week to see what can be done about getting some of my money back, if not all of it for this crap!

Spyder Garage

Sure,a brand new motor would be nice but when you buy a vehicle you are also agreeing to the companies warranty procedures.
    It sounds like BRP full filled their obligation.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default don't get me wrong

i would be the biggest pest they had about getting a new motor but as long as i get full coverage on a re conditioned one there is nothing you can really do
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

It's threads like these that make me really glad I now own a Honda (again)......

While there are some things I miss about the Spyder, there's more that I don't.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Just read through the whole thread. I agree with those who would insist on a new complete motor. There was a bit of misinformation earlier too. A short block is not a complete engine minus the bolt on accessories. It is a complete lower. The heads are not included. A long block is complete including the heads. And yes, they along with the trans could be contaminated. Tough part about that is, it could be until after the warranty runs out before additional damage occurs if the swarf is small enough.
    Regards, Rodney
    2011 RT-S SE5
    2016 F3T SM6

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the risk of being bashed i'm going to comment on this subject. Since I turn wrenches for a living as a master tech and on BRP products no less (Evinrude) I really think the proper procedure would be a NEW replacement engine not remanufactured. Warranty should just replace the complete (less bolt on's) engine based on the age and mileage of the unit. Now if he was out of "factory" warranty and into the BEST protection then a reman engine would come into play. I read all kind's of posts on here about warranty and dealer service and it just blows me away that us (end user) have to put up with this crap. I can tell you for sure that these types of services are NOT normal for BRP at least from the Evinrude side of things but I can't see how the Can-am side would be that different? I had a customer with a 2008 Evinrude E-tec 225HO that was in his 3rd year of the factory warranty and we had a crazy problem with the engine "dropping out" at idle. I could confirm this by logging data however we tried replacing many parts, EMM, wiring harness and various sensors. End result BRP finally gave him a 2011 complete fully dressed powerhead! I never had one problem getting the help I needed to keep this customer happy, period! Food for thought.... A happy customer tells no complaints but a unhappy customer tells everybody he sees!
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 11-16-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

You made it perfectly clear. It was new when you bought it, but had 4300 miles on it by the time it broke. I'm afraid that is used in anyone's dictionary. You really are getting an engine that is probably better mechanically than yours was before it broke. If the tech is thorough, and the rest of the oil system is thoroughly flushed and cleaned, you should not have any problems. This is a standard repair in the industry, and has proven to be very successful if done properly. It does not lower the vehicle's value in the least. I'd try to keep an open mind.
    With the current dealer network horror stories and the fact that she just had the oil changed by this dealer prior to the catastrophe,.....That is two, to many if's for me to be comfortable with.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    With the current dealer network horror stories and the fact that she just had the oil changed by this dealer prior to the catastrophe,.....That is two, to many if's for me to be comfortable with.
    It's on warrantee, with an extended warrantee. If it breaks again it can be taken to another dealer. It is an inconvenience, but these things can happen. Many of us have been there, myself included. There is really no sense in tilting at windmills over this. BRP fullfilled their written obligations. The dealer moved quickly to rectify their apparent error (no matter what they blamed it on). It is time to accept it at face value and ride. All the worrying and griping in the world is not going to change a thing...and I doubt any court in the land would offer any further relief. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I wonder if spyderann is going to get a rebuilt spyder to replace her "used" one that caught fire. I am having second thoughts about buying another Spyder rt in 2015. Maybe trike a Kawasaki or Honda with a large network of experienced dealers. A rebuilt engine is someone's defective engine that hopefully gets correctly assembled the second time around. BRP seems to have the same attitude about quality that the American auto industry had in the 1960's.
    Last edited by spydercatjohn; 11-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    I wonder if spyderann is going to get a rebuilt spyder to replace her "used" one that caught fire. I am having second thoughts about buying another Spyder rt in 2015. Maybe trike a Kawasaki or Honda with a large network of experienced dealers. A rebuilt engine is someone's defective engine that hopefully gets correctly assembled the second time around. BRP seems to have the same attitude about quality that the American auto industry had in the 1960's.
    What does SpyderAnn's RT '13 fire have to do with a RT '12 rebuilt engine?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

PM sent with link to Attorney general's office.

If your bike was there for more than 15 days(2 1/2 weeks),that meets the standard for application.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

I'm surprised at the lack of empathy by many owners here.

My opinion....Retired educator with PhD...I'm also a certified auto body restorer.

I've yet to see a BRP dealer with the same shop setup as the BRP factory for doing engine rebuilds.

5K miles is nothing(or should be)Some owners here are reacting like this is to be expected!!! Really???.
    ...Being purchased as a leftover still makes it "new."

She paid 3K for extended warranty...She deserves premium warranty service.

I hope she receives a resolution that makes her happy with her purchase.
    I believe she qualifies under the Florida "Lemon Law" statute.(more than
    15 days at the dealer for repair)

Best wishes....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Very disapointed with BRP and their product!

In Florida for a Lemon Law to go into effect you must have the same recurring problem at least three times and take it to the same dealer/ repair shop to get it worked on each Time then and only then is it considered a Lemon. Been there, Done that !

Spyder Garage

Default No Lemon Law for MC in FL

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I'm surprised at the lack of empathy by many owners here.

My opinion....Retired educator with PhD...I'm also a certified auto body restorer.

I've yet to see a BRP dealer with the same shop setup as the BRP factory for doing engine rebuilds.

5K miles is nothing(or should be)Some owners here are reacting like this is to be expected!!! Really???.
    ...Being purchased as a leftover still makes it "new."

She paid 3K for extended warranty...She deserves premium warranty service.

I hope she receives a resolution that makes her happy with her purchase.
    I believe she qualifies under the Florida "Lemon Law" statute.(more than
    15 days at the dealer for repair)

Best wishes....

There is no Florida Lemon law for motorcycles.
    Florida Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product — from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle — must abide by the warranty.
    Unlike the Florida Lemon Law for new cars, which requires you to go into arbitration or mediation, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    Sorry but you are way off base here. Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Kia, BMW, Daimler all have the same policy on replacement of failed engines in used vehicles. New engines are only supplied for failures in NEW ie unsold and untitled vehicles.

BRP did nothing wrong here and stepped up to fix, and quickly by motorcycle standards.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sorry but you are way off base here. Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Kia, BMW, Daimler all have the same policy on replacement of failed engines in used vehicles. New engines are only supplied for failures in NEW ie unsold and untitled vehicles.

BRP did nothing wrong here and stepped up to fix, and quickly by motorcycle standards.
    CORRECT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup...
    And I'm disappointed in how many folks keep wanting to talk about a law that doesn't apply to motorcycles anyway??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup...
    And I'm disappointed in how many folks keep wanting to talk about a law that doesn't apply to motorcycles anyway??
    Please note that lemon laws, if that is what you are referring to, apply to motorcycles in about half the states...and motorcycles are exempted in the remainder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    There is no Florida Lemon law for motorcycles.
    Florida Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. However, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that the manufacturer of any product — from your toaster to your lemon motorcycle — must abide by the warranty.
    Unlike the Florida Lemon Law for new cars, which requires you to go into arbitration or mediation, you need to sue the manufacturer and/or dealer of your motorcycle in a court of law. The window of time to initiate a lawsuit is small, so speak to a Lemon Law attorney if your motorcycle has been in the shop three times for the same problem. If your case is successful, the manufacturer will have pay for attorneys' fees, so you shouldn't have to pay for representation.
    That's the one; and I'll stick with what the gentleman from Florida has stated...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I really don't see what BRP did wrong here. Your nearly 2 year old bike with 5000 miles on it broke. They did not give you the run around about fixing it, or proving maintenance or other malarkey. They fixed it. Nothing wrong with remanufactured parts on a USED not new bike. All motor vehicle manufactures do this with engines and transmissions and a few other parts.

Its bad that it broke, really is, don't make it out that BRP did not honor their warranty or even try not to. They did. Be glad of it.

Oh, and a bike that has had a warranty engine repair has not lost significant value vs other bikes of similar age, mileage and warranty status.
    ^^^^^^ This... every word of it is true....^^^^^^ You had a scoot that didn't run, now it does, and was fixed under warranty. There are bigger fish to fry.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many of us have been there, myself included...It is time to accept it at face value and ride... JMHO
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

It's not always about "warranty" but rather receiving Customer Service that the "customer/owner" is satisfied with. Such as, can BRP guarantee no future metal contamination or provide oil changes designed to "flush the system" so the bike spends more time on the road versus the shop?

Doing the right thing is usually never the cheapest or legal thing.

-Mike
    <Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk>