Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I still have my full warranty plus originally I bought an extended warranty and others to the tune of 3000.00. I think they are taking advantage of this...I should have got a new engine or new bike!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'd be pushing HARD, to see what kind of warranty you'll be getting on this repair...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    I still have my full warranty plus originally I bought an extended warranty and others to the tune of 3000.00. I think they are taking advantage of this...I should have got a new engine or new bike!!
    Where is your dealer located there are some good ones in Florida hopefully you are at one. Hope it isn't St Augustine another member is having issues with them.

You can always call BRP with your concerns too

1 (715) 848-4957 (Consumer)
    Bombardier Recreational Products, Customer service
    Last edited by Magdave; 11-15-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Apparently I didn't make it clear in the post. It was not a used bike. I bought it 4 months new. last 2012 on the lot! It was a new bike I put 5000 miles on it in the 4 months!
    You made it perfectly clear. It was new when you bought it, but had 4300 miles on it by the time it broke. I'm afraid that is used in anyone's dictionary. You really are getting an engine that is probably better mechanically than yours was before it broke. If the tech is thorough, and the rest of the oil system is thoroughly flushed and cleaned, you should not have any problems. This is a standard repair in the industry, and has proven to be very successful if done properly. It does not lower the vehicle's value in the least. I'd try to keep an open mind.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You made it perfectly clear. It was new when you bought it, but had 4300 miles on it by the time it broke. I'm afraid that is used in anyone's dictionary. You really are getting an engine that is probably better mechanically than yours was before it broke. If the tech is thorough, and the rest of the oil system is thoroughly flushed and cleaned, you should not have any problems. This is a standard repair in the industry, and has proven to be very successful if done properly. It does not lower the vehicle's value in the least. I'd try to keep an open mind.
    +1 I am sure it is traumatic at this point to have this happen but you do have the warranty and time will tell. You may like it better being broken in a little.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I'm reading in your first post the low oil pressure probably ruined the bearings in the bottom end. It happens to all manufacturers....
    You are getting FAR MORE "new" parts with the replacement motor than there are "broken" parts that are in your old motor.

Why would you think you should get an entirely new motor or an entirely new spyder?

Also, your honestly wasting your time with any "lemon law" pursuit. Your failure is not reoccurring and is being fixed.

The fact that the machine is being fixed, being fixed by the manufacturer using all OEM parts, and being done in a timely manor at no cost to you is fantastic!

Ride more, worry less...

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

You're not alone and may find some insightful information in the link provided. Not saying this will make you feel any better, or worse, but it may shed a little light on your situation.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...buyers-remorse

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Very disapointed with BRP and their product!

When you buy a new vehicule, as soon you left the dealer, this new vehicule become a used one even after 1 hour, 1week, 1 month or 4 months. BRP and his dealer had repair the Spyder. The full and complete warranty is still valid and the value of your Spyder is not affected by the repair.

I understand your concern, but after 5000 miles and 4 months, it's no longer a new one. I know someone his transmission was rebuilt after only 1 week and 425 kilometer... and 3 years later, he is very satisfied with his Spyder RT.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear of your troubles...4 months is the stinger here...However,I've worked at car dealerships for 25 years,and the only time the factory has ever authorized a new part,whether it be engine,transmission or even a radio is on an unsold vehicle....I've seen very rare exemptions,but never for an engine...Sorry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So you are saying it is ok if a bike with only 4300 miles on it can bite the dust! I would expect that from something with 20-30000, not 5000. In any book a vehicle with that low of mileage should not blow an engine.

Spyder Garage

So you are saying it is ok if a bike with only 4300 miles on it can bite the dust! I would expect that from something with 20-30000, not 5000. In any book a vehicle with that low of mileage should not blow an engine.
    Deb take a deep breath and calm down. Engines blow up everyday some brand new some with 5000mi.There are Spyders with 100k on them. What is important now is to get it fixed to your satisfaction. Give them a chance to do it. I gave you BRP's phone # give them a call and open a case and they WILL try to help. Going off flying off the handle will not help at the dealer or with BRP . Things break nothing is perfect. All engines wear out and die. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun in 4 mo. if you have 5k mi. on it. Remember the fun and as has been said give them some time to get it fixed. You read the other thread I saw you posted there. They took care of him. One can only hope yours turns out the same

Spyder Garage

I understand the emotions of the issue, but emotion won't win a case for you. What will govern what happens is the actual wording of the warranty. I don't have my warranty handy, but the brochure for the BEST Warranty says "The B.E.S.T. protection plan guarantees service from BRP-certified technicians using only genuine BRP parts, so your vehicle runs as well as the day it rolled off the assembly line" Nothing in that statement says that the replacement parts will be new, just that it will run as well as when it came off the assembly line.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They did fix the bike. I got it back today after it being gone for 2-1/2 weeks. I am just not happy that I bought a new bike and now 4 months later it is a rebuilt engine when I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine. They did it anyway against my wishes. I loved my spyder...but now I am not at all happy about having a rebuilt engine on a bike I have only had 4 months because of a manufacturers default supposedly. I feel the dealership screwed up the oil change, so do a lot of other people. Anyway I think BRP should have given me a new engine, not a rebuilt short block! Thank you Dave I know you are trying to make me feel better. I hope I get the feeling back about my bike...I just don't think right now I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Deb take a deep breath and calm down. Engines blow up everyday some brand new some with 5000mi.There are Spyders with 100k on them. What is important now is to get it fixed to your satisfaction. Give them a chance to do it. I gave you BRP's phone # give them a call and open a case and they WILL try to help. Going off flying off the handle will not help at the dealer or with BRP . Things break nothing is perfect. All engines wear out and die. Sounds like you have had a lot of fun in 4 mo. if you have 5k mi. on it. Remember the fun and as has been said give them some time to get it fixed. You read the other thread I saw you posted there. They took care of him. One can only hope yours turns out the same

Spyder Garage

They did fix the bike. I got it back today after it being gone for 2-1/2 weeks. I am just not happy that I bought a new bike and now 4 months later it is a rebuilt engine when I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine. They did it anyway against my wishes. I loved my spyder...but now I am not at all happy about having a rebuilt engine on a bike I have only had 4 months because of a manufacturers default supposedly. I feel the dealership screwed up the oil change, so do a lot of other people. Anyway I think BRP should have given me a new engine, not a rebuilt short block! Thank you Dave I know you are trying to make me feel better. I hope I get the feeling back about my bike...I just don't think right now I will.
    You will be OK and you know that is the first thing I thought. Too co incidental that the engine blew after service but they rebuild race car engines all the time. Personally I would rather have one that had special attention than a new one. You know every little thing has been checked not just slapped together. Just run it and get that old feeling back. It may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Enjoy the ride Make sure you check the oil after service dealers have made mistakes on the fill. I told you the engine will go 100k at least if taken care of.

One more thing that "rebuilt " may have come from a 1k mi. bike ya never know but it is as good as new if done right.
    Last edited by Magdave; 11-15-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Dont understand

I am sorry you had a part failure that caused your engine to let loose however this can happen with any motor manufactured by any company regardless of miles. No this isn't expected and it sounds like BRP honored their promise under the warranty in place. If the rebuilt engine is properly put together you should see no difference than the engine you had that let loose nor do I see how this lowers the Spyders value anymore than the normal age devaluation we all have. I do not know of anyone in this industry that replaces a blown engine with a new one vs. a rebuilt on a normal basis.

I understand you spent $$$ to purchase you Spyder and hopefully BRP and the dealer will get everything in place so that you can continue enjoying it as it was designed to do.

I don't believe anyone is saying that a low milage Spyder should blow up, however mechnical items/parts do and can fail regardless of age.

Spyder Garage

You sure the dealer is not covering his A**, and BRP knows nothing about it. I would contact
    BRP.

Spyder Garage

I haven't been on this forum in a while. Your thread struck me, I can relate. I bought a brand new 2012 RTS and at mile 86 the engine blew. If you read my threads you will see I was also very unhappy. However, a year and 7,000 miles later, the "rebuilt" engine is running great. I would ride it 500+ miles from home confidently and have. It was a new engine that BRP provided since my bike had so few miles when it blew. BRP was reasonable about it. I didn't get a new bike either but my tech is very good and so he got to personally make sure things looked right as he completely rebuilt it. Put a few thousand miles on the bike and you might feel differently like I did. Maybe not......but there is the chance that you may have a machine that will now run for 100,000. Don't throw in the towel just yet. You have the right to feel frustrated.....I felt that way too. Took a few good long rides to make that feeling go away. I hope it does for you too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave, unfortunately the dealership that did the oil change is the one to put this all back together again. They gave me a quart of oil to keep on the bike!! LOL They told me I never have to check the oil just bring it in and they will take care of it. As long as they are servicing it I do not have to check it. When I reminded them of that today the service manager said I should check it every 2000 miles now. They get changed at 4700 miles. How they change their tune after this was not funny to me!! I will bring it to a different dealer and have them show me how to check the oil, or I will have a friend check it for me. But for service I will def find a new dealer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    You will be OK and you know that is the first thing I thought. Too co incidental that the engine blew after service but they rebuild race car engines all the time. Personally I would rather have one that had special attention than a new one. You know every little thing has been checked not just slapped together. Just run it and get that old feeling back. It may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Enjoy the ride Make sure you check the oil after service dealers have made mistakes on the fill. I told you the engine will go 100k at least if taken care of.

One more thing that "rebuilt " may have come from a 1k mi. bike ya never know but it is as good as new if done right.

Spyder Garage

It is not fun, and it should not be expected, but it happens from time to time. If it did not, we wouldn't need warrantees. It is the response of the dealership and manufacturer that really matters. Yours has done a better than average job of making this right. Instead of having the damage repaired, they went to the extent of providing a rebuilt engine, with new parts that made it as good or better than what they replaced. Accepting the fact that they did more than they were required to should be a comfort, not a disappointment. You should expect a good long life from your machine now...but if it fails again, I expect they will take care of it.

Thanks Dave, unfortunately the dealership that did the oil change is the one to put this all back together again. They gave me a quart of oil to keep on the bike!! LOL They told me I never have to check the oil just bring it in and they will take care of it. As long as they are servicing it I do not have to check it. When I reminded them of that today the service manager said I should check it every 2000 miles now. They get changed at 4700 miles. How they change their tune after this was not funny to me!! I will bring it to a different dealer and have them show me how to check the oil, or I will have a friend check it for me. But for service I will def find a new dealer!!
    Under these circumstances, getting the rebuilt engine, which was rebuilt by the factory and not the dealer that may have screwed things up, is just what you should want. Having had them dismantle and repair the engine themselves would have been a huge worry. I would also just consider having had them give you the oil as a goodwill gesture, not a crime or mark of incompetence.

On the other hand, advising you not to check the oil, or even to check it only every 2,000 miles is just plain irresponsible. It is the owner's responsibility to check the oil. BRP's maintenance schedule calls for you to do so every 300 miles. That is probably excessive, but I would do so after every service (in case the dealer screwed up), and at least every 500 until you see how the oil usage goes, and no more than every 1,000 thereafter if the oil usage will allow. The dealer should have showed you how to check the oil, among other things, when you took delivery. Finding another dealer might be appropriate. If not, I'd at least talk to the dealership owner and ask why his staff failed to do so. Please also note that there are other necessary maintenance tasks that the owner should perform periodically, like checking tire pressure. Motorcycles need closer attention and are more hands-on than the average automobile. Study the Owners Guide and have someone go over what you need to do and when.

Now get out there and ride the wheels off that thing!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would also be unhappy getting a rebuilt engine on a bike only 4 months. A 4 month old bike is still new since it was recently made (dictionary definition). Boo to BRP!!
    Last edited by spydercatjohn; 11-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A rebuilt motor is not necessarily inferior. It can actually be superior to one built on the assembly line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change Procedure

Take a look at this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Oil-and-Filter

You'll find it very helpfull.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deb, when you read your Owner's Manual and it said to check your oil every 300 miles didn't it occur to you to question your dealer on why they would say to never check your oil?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Re checking oil....totally my responsibility

I read my manual but this checking oil was just way to complicated (so I told myself). But then I read and learned the importance of oil in our wonderful Spyders. Still thought it an UGH job...until Scotty took the time and patience to "make me" take off the panels and check my oil correctly. I never get on the Spyder without extra oil on board (along with funnel). I have learned (after about the first 20k) that my Spyder likes about 11-12 oz every 900 miles (+ or - a few). I am so NOT mechanical....but I do know that it is my responsibility to know my machine by reading my manual (and trust me when I say reading a manual is not my idea of "fun"). Then once I found this incredible bunch of incredibly caring and helpful SL's I ask any and everything and get wonderful help. I do believe that alot of my "dumb luck" with my Ms Spyder was pure ignorance on all things mechanical. Now I have enough knowledge to be dangerous and am sure that I will fuss a whole lot more when I get the new ryde next year...but I will always come right back here and ask my questions. Totally accepting everyone's opinion but bottom line decision and responsiblity is mine. I agree with Dave and Scotty and others. I get the strong negative feelings/emotions when you spend that much $$ and sooooo want perfection. But unfortunately that is not real life...crap happens that puts all of us below the line...From what I read here I have to agree that I think your dealer and BRP are doing what is right by your Spyder and you. Jump on that sweet machine and ryde it like you never had a problem. You have the best warranty available and rest in that insurance/assurance.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Your reply is well stated. I agree wholeheartedly. I am sorry that the OP is dissatisfied, but the response by BRP was appropriate...and pretty darned timely, all things considered. JMHO
    Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks! It is a 2012 RT-S and only had a tad over 5000 miles on it. For the ones that didn't know I brought it to my dealer at 4300 miles for a complete check up and oil change. Needless to say less than 800 miles later I had basically a blown engine. They told me the oil pressure regulator stuck and the oil pressure was not proper and broke ...a rear bearing putting flakes in the oil. Anyway BRP decided not to give me a new bike but to send my dealer a rebuilt short block to replace. Needless to say I am not a happy camper...I loved my Spyder...now I am very disappointed in BRP and my dealership. I am deciding on whether to get rid of it or not!! My value just went way down with this rebuilt. I only had this bike 4 months, and will lose my ass on a trade in!! This kind of service will not be good for BRP at all!! Now I am sorry I didn't go for the Tri-Glide in the first place. Some techs tried to convince me that the rebuilt short block was better than a new one because the part were broke in already and had expanded. I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine on a brand new bike but they did it anyway, telling me that the warranty on the bike allowed for it!
    Will probably call an attorney next week to see what can be done about getting some of my money back, if not all of it for this crap!

Scotty,

In the past, you and I have agreed and disagreed on various issues based on our mechanical backgrounds and experiences but on this issue....PLEASE take another look!

The owner states he put 800 miles on his ride AFTER having it serviced by an "authorized dealer" employing "BRP certified technicians".

Sorry but a blown engine after being serviced by a "BRP Dealer" is suspicious at best given their explainition of a "stuck oil pressure regulator".
    Q1. How do they (BRP or its Dealer) know this was in-fact the cause of the failure (could be more serious than this)?
    Q2. How many other owners have a similar experience with a "stuck oil pressure regulator" (if none, could this be a "Lemmon Engine"?)?
    Q3. Has this part been previously identified as a "known potential failure" by BRP (if so, request for a NEW engine is reasonable)?
    Q4. If so, when did BRP know?
    Q5. When did BRP notify their dealers and owners upon knowing such knowledge (again, potential for new engine seems reasonable)?
    ETC.....ETC...

Far too many unanswered questions to just accept their answer as acceptable, or even plausible, given it is basically a new engine that is barely broken in (5,100 total miles = 4,300 miles at time of service + 800 post service miles). Unless BRP expects blown engines at just over 5k miles.

Finally, would ANY of us pay full-value for a motorcycle with a "rebuilt" engine vs. having the OEM engine (i.e. new engine)?

Just My 2-Cents.....

Spyder Garage

Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks! It is a 2012 RT-S and only had a tad over 5000 miles on it. For the ones that didn't know I brought it to my dealer at 4300 miles for a complete check up and oil change. Needless to say less than 800 miles later I had basically a blown engine. They told me the oil pressure regulator stuck and the oil pressure was not proper and broke ...a rear bearing putting flakes in the oil. Anyway BRP decided not to give me a new bike but to send my dealer a rebuilt short block to replace. Needless to say I am not a happy camper...I loved my Spyder...now I am very disappointed in BRP and my dealership. I am deciding on whether to get rid of it or not!! My value just went way down with this rebuilt. I only had this bike 4 months, and will lose my ass on a trade in!! This kind of service will not be good for BRP at all!! Now I am sorry I didn't go for the Tri-Glide in the first place. Some techs tried to convince me that the rebuilt short block was better than a new one because the part were broke in already and had expanded. I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine on a brand new bike but they did it anyway, telling me that the warranty on the bike allowed for it!
    Will probably call an attorney next week to see what can be done about getting some of my money back, if not all of it for this crap!
    Maybe I missed it, but where in Florida do you live and who is your dealer?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC