Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Very disapointed with BRP and their product!

Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks! It is a 2012 RT-S and only had a tad over 5000 miles on it. For the ones that didn't know I brought it to my dealer at 4300 miles for a complete check up and oil change. Needless to say less than 800 miles later I had basically a blown engine. They told me the oil pressure regulator stuck and the oil pressure was not proper and broke ...a rear bearing putting flakes in the oil. Anyway BRP decided not to give me a new bike but to send my dealer a rebuilt short block to replace. Needless to say I am not a happy camper...I loved my Spyder...now I am very disappointed in BRP and my dealership. I am deciding on whether to get rid of it or not!! My value just went way down with this rebuilt. I only had this bike 4 months, and will lose my ass on a trade in!! This kind of service will not be good for BRP at all!! Now I am sorry I didn't go for the Tri-Glide in the first place. Some techs tried to convince me that the rebuilt short block was better than a new one because the part were broke in already and had expanded. I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine on a brand new bike but they did it anyway, telling me that the warranty on the bike allowed for it!
    Will probably call an attorney next week to see what can be done about getting some of my money back, if not all of it for this crap!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Had you lived in California....

If you lived in California, you know the one on the left coast, you would have a NEW one by now
    there is a state branch called the B-A-R, Bureau of automotive repair and they enforce the LEMON
    law with an iron fist.You would never get a rebuilt engine here it would be NEW period. I think it may be time
    to contact some one for some legal advice. From what your post says if I understand it right all this trouble
    started after your dealer worked on it, they should be the ones that have to eat it and not you.
    I had a similar thing happen with a car I had took it in for the 6K service and the engine ran out of oil and
    burned up seems they put an incorrect oil filter it it and it turned to mush and plugged up the oil ways and
    starved it of oil.... they ended up owning it and I got a new one.
    Don't give in...
    This is only my opinion and you know how opinions are, everyone has one
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Debedwards93 View Post
    Ok my bike is home from the shop after being there 2-1/2 weeks! It is a 2012 RT-S and only had a tad over 5000 miles on it. For the ones that didn't know I brought it to my dealer at 4300 miles for a complete check up and oil change. Needless to say less than 800 miles later I had basically a blown engine. They told me the oil pressure regulator stuck and the oil pressure was not proper and broke ...a rear bearing putting flakes in the oil. Anyway BRP decided not to give me a new bike but to send my dealer a rebuilt short block to replace. Needless to say I am not a happy camper...I loved my Spyder...now I am very disappointed in BRP and my dealership. I am deciding on whether to get rid of it or not!! My value just went way down with this rebuilt. I only had this bike 4 months, and will lose my ass on a trade in!! This kind of service will not be good for BRP at all!! Now I am sorry I didn't go for the Tri-Glide in the first place. Some techs tried to convince me that the rebuilt short block was better than a new one because the part were broke in already and had expanded. I told them I will not accept a rebuilt engine on a brand new bike but they did it anyway, telling me that the warranty on the bike allowed for it!
    Will probably call an attorney next week to see what can be done about getting some of my money back, if not all of it for this crap!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forget the short block; they need to put an entirely new engine underneath you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Incidentally...
    Although your circumstances don't make it likely that you're in the mood for it.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Isn't value, the perception of worth. If, as an owner your mind set is such that an items value has been demenished, for whatever reason. They are less likely, (should they sell) to get fair market value for what they are convinced is a less than desirable item. Wright or wrong. It's human nature.

Seems like a new motor would have been the right call. Wonder if the dealer pushed for that, or took the path of least resistance?

Best of luck. Whatever you do.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I really don't see what BRP did wrong here. Your nearly 2 year old bike with 5000 miles on it broke. They did not give you the run around about fixing it, or proving maintenance or other malarkey. They fixed it. Nothing wrong with remanufactured parts on a USED not new bike. All motor vehicle manufactures do this with engines and transmissions and a few other parts.

Its bad that it broke, really is, don't make it out that BRP did not honor their warranty or even try not to. They did. Be glad of it.

Oh, and a bike that has had a warranty engine repair has not lost significant value vs other bikes of similar age, mileage and warranty status.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It was not a used bike. It was a leftover 2012 brand new bike I just bought 4 months ago!

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I really don't see what BRP did wrong here. Your nearly 2 year old bike with 5000 miles on it broke. They did not give you the run around about fixing it, or proving maintenance or other malarkey. They fixed it. Nothing wrong with remanufactured parts on a USED not new bike. All motor vehicle manufactures do this with engines and transmissions and a few other parts.

Its bad that it broke, really is, don't make it out that BRP did not honor their warranty or even try not to. They did. Be glad of it.

Oh, and a bike that has had a warranty engine repair has not lost significant value vs other bikes of similar age, mileage and warranty status.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dave, thank you I live in Florida! Who should I contact regarding this?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    If you lived in California, you know the one on the left coast, you would have a NEW one by now
    there is a state branch called the B-A-R, Bureau of automotive repair and they enforce the LEMON
    law with an iron fist.You would never get a rebuilt engine here it would be NEW period. I think it may be time
    to contact some one for some legal advice. From what your post says if I understand it right all this trouble
    started after your dealer worked on it, they should be the ones that have to eat it and not you.
    I had a similar thing happen with a car I had took it in for the 6K service and the engine ran out of oil and
    burned up seems they put an incorrect oil filter it it and it turned to mush and plugged up the oil ways and
    starved it of oil.... they ended up owning it and I got a new one.
    Don't give in...
    This is only my opinion and you know how opinions are, everyone has one
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Your reply is well stated. I agree wholeheartedly. I am sorry that the OP is dissatisfied, but the response by BRP was appropriate...and pretty darned timely, all things considered. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd push for the new engine...
    When that bearing turned to ....crap; it put stray pieces of unwanted bearing guts throughout what was left of that engine. EVERY clearance, tolerance and surface has been compromised within it.
    ...Unless of course; they're going to give some sort of warranty on it? That might be fair...
    Good Luck!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool RebuiltEngine or Short Block

You really need to determine what you got as a replacement engine assembly. By general mechanic terminology there is a big difference unless they have changed definitions. A "short block assembly" is a brand new cylinder body with a new camshaft and crankshaft with new oil pump, water pump, and gaskets. A rebuilt engine is all the above without the fuel injection ignition components a (may not be included in a short block assembly) and external components.

If you have a competent mechanic the short block will not detract from your trade in value nor would a factory certified rebuilt engine. It should not be any part of your trade in conversation.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Apparently I didn't make it clear in the post. It was not a used bike. I bought it 4 months new. last 2012 on the lot! It was a new bike I put 5000 miles on it in the 4 months!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your reply is well stated. I agree wholeheartedly. I am sorry that the OP is dissatisfied, but the response by BRP was appropriate...and pretty darned timely, all things considered. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    You really need to determine what you got as a replacement engine assembly. By general mechanic terminology there is a big difference unless they have changed definitions. A "short block assembly" is a brand new cylinder body with a new camshaft and crankshaft with new oil pump, water pump, and gaskets. A rebuilt engine is all the above without the fuel injection ignition components a (may not be included in a short block assembly) and external components.

If you have a competent mechanic the short block will not detract from your trade in value nor would a factory certified rebuilt engine. It should not be any part of your trade in conversation.
    Dunno if it an SE5 or not but does a short block include the tranny cause we all know the same oil goes through it even if it isn't still has contamination?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They put in a REBUILT short block and the upper part of my engine is the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post

Spyder Garage

They put in a REBUILT short block and the upper part of my engine is the original.
    Oil flows through the valves on the upper part something does not sound right to me but
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd be pushing HARD, to see what kind of warranty you'll be getting on this repair...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Florida Has a Lemon Law

Florida has a " lemon law " in place but it does not over one failure events I don't have one here to read. But if my memory recall is working it covers repeated attempts by a dealer to repair a recurring problem to a motor vehicle. Say your engine failed three times or the dealer held it for a period in excess of 90 days. Then it would be subject to replacement. But as the complaint you must document all of your steps on pape. My spouse had a nephew that bought a Lexus that ate tires by the fourth set he lemon lawed it for a full refund to include interest.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the bad things with the motor. BRP seems to have worked pretty fast in getting the issue solved. I assume your warranty continues with the additional factory warranty service. The value of your unit should not be diminished because of the factory repairs.

I would give it a chance and see how things work out here before making to much of it. The mention of lawyer usually stops the cooperation between BRP, the dealer, and the customer. I note that this is your first day of posting on SL. There are many expert people on this site and you have already heard from at least a couple of them.

Let the repair work or not work and then go from there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think your confusing some terms here...
    A "shortblock" is a complete motor. Cases,crank, cylinders, pistons, heads, valves, waterpump. Basically, a complete motor with all the bolt on accessories removed.
    "rebuilt" means that they reused/refinished the non-moving, typically non-wear hard parts, like the cases, cylinders, head. But replaced the wear items, like the pistons, rings, cams, valves, waterpump, crank, bearings and seals.

A properly rebuilt motor with all OEM parts is better than the used 5k mile motor that broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Short Block

It would seem to me that if the short block has a full warranty and if the Spyder runs great, then BRP has fulfilled their obligation. Having a rebuilt engine should not factor into the equation when you go to trade or sell it.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Now you see my concerns!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Oil flows through the valves on the upper part something does not sound right to me but

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BRP told me directly that they sent my dealership a REBUILT SHORT BLOCK to replace mine!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I think your confusing some terms here...
    A "shortblock" is a complete motor. Cases,crank, cylinders, pistons, heads, valves, waterpump. Basically, a complete motor with all the bolt on accessories removed.
    "rebuilt" means that they reused/refinished the non-moving, typically non-wear hard parts, like the cases, cylinders, head. But replaced the wear items, like the pistons, rings, cams, valves, waterpump, crank, bearings and seals.

A properly rebuilt motor with all OEM parts is better than the used 5k mile motor that broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Now you see my concerns!!
    I do but not having torn down or knowing exactly what they are replacing as has been said a rebuilt should not be a concern. I would as stated above be asking about warranty and maybe even an extended warranty ( if you do not have one already) for your troubles . That would make it more valuable too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes it is an se5!

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Dunno if it an SE5 or not but does a short block include the tranny cause we all know the same oil goes through it even if it isn't still has contamination?

Spyder Garage

Yes it is an se5!
    Once again I am not sure exactly what the are including in the rebuild but I would think they will be standing behind it. You can ask them about the concerns and report back. You may be surprised and have everything work out fine. New engines are just as prone to problems don't ask how I know.