Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration Problem

Your bike has a clutch and transmission output shaft bearing problem. Insist that they change out the transmission. The load vibration and then no vibration under free wheel should give the dealer a clue that it is in the trans.

Spyder Garage

I sat and fumed about this for a while and decided to place a call to the service manager. He was out to lunch but did call me back. Not 60 seconds into the call and here comes "it's been really too cold to ride your bike". (Sunny and 55 degrees today) He then told me that they have only ridden it close to the shop. I asked how that could possibly identify a problem that happens at freeway speeds? He the says that there no place close to ride a freeway speeds. I lost it, uttered a few profane words and apparently got his attention. There is a four lane divided highway with a 70 mph limit within five miles of the dealership. He said that someone would be riding my bike this afternoon and he would call me back.
    I told him that if they couldn't or wouldn't fix the problem, then I would take the bike to Pitbull (which he claims to have never heard of) or sell the bike. Maybe I will get lucky and someone will steal it while at the dealer. Nah, my luck isn't that good.

Operators are standing by....

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; you did get a callback... and a reluctant agreement to ride the bike...
    If it were me; I'd be really tempted to call the owner of the shop... Tell him that this chucklehead is costing him customers and cash!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well; you did get a callback... and a reluctant agreement to ride the bike...
    If it were me; I'd be really tempted to call the owner of the shop... Tell him that this chucklehead is costing him customers and cash!
    and would like to add---Hoooooooooooooooboy! What a dealer? They would never see another cent of my money---EVER. Sorry, did not mean to raise my voice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You shocked me with that tone of voice!

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    If you were shocked by that tone of voice, you might want to get some ear plugs and a set of muffs (you NY folks should have those) cuz the next conversation with this dealer may be heard across state lines.

Spyder Garage

And the soap opera continues...
    "I froze my ears off riding that thing" says the service manager. "I can't really feel much of a vibration" says the service manager. "Not sure what to tell you" says the service manager.
    Does anyone have any dynamite????

He says the belt to is too close to the flange on the rear sprocket. That's nice....you guys are the people that put it there. I ask if that will cause a vibration (I know it doesn't). He says that he doubts it. I ask, "why are we talking about it then?" Silence.

The bottom line is they want to check the belt tension (I believe this will be about the 6th time that has been checked). I asked about trying a different belt. Didn't seem too willing to try that. Said he talked with BRP and is now trying to sell he "normal vibration" bill of goods. If it is "normal" then why do other Spyders not vibrate like mine???? He thought maybe something with the clutch, but BRP said that vibration would be at low speed. He still thinks the faulty compressor may have played a part in the vibration. Huh???? This thing has vibrated since new.

Anyone looking for a good deal on slightly used 2012 RT Ltd???

Spyder Garage

Default Me thinks there might be a slight communication hiccup here....

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Not to sure Springfield would be a better choice, they are no longer listed as a Spyder dealer. They treated me like crap with my Goldwing, i'll never go back.
    3 Wheel what Springfield are you referencing? I'm feeling 100% confident you are not referring to Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO....but if I'm wrong..please explain why..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Biosifena View Post
    "I froze my ears off riding that thing" says the service manager. "I can't really feel much of a vibration" says the service manager. "Not sure what to tell you" says the service manager.
    Does anyone have any dynamite????

He says the belt to is too close to the flange on the rear sprocket. That's nice....you guys are the people that put it there. I ask if that will cause a vibration (I know it doesn't). He says that he doubts it. I ask, "why are we talking about it then?" Silence.

The bottom line is they want to check the belt tension (I believe this will be about the 6th time that has been checked). I asked about trying a different belt. Didn't seem too willing to try that. Said he talked with BRP and is now trying to sell he "normal vibration" bill of goods. If it is "normal" then why do other Spyders not vibrate like mine???? He thought maybe something with the clutch, but BRP said that vibration would be at low speed. He still thinks the faulty compressor may have played a part in the vibration. Huh???? This thing has vibrated since new.

Anyone looking for a good deal on slightly used 2012 RT Ltd???

Something to check the next time you're at the dealership. See if they put too cold to ride stickers on any of their inventory? Or, have a friend(with some time to kill) go in and spend a few hours working a deal. Then when it comes time to sign papers. He could say, you know what! After thinking about it. It' to cold out!

Seriously. This sounds like another dealer who had enough clout to either keep a competitor from getting the franchise or some similar scenerio.

One thing they are not. They are not a - commited - spyder dealer. Sadly there are more than a few in this country who, for whatever reason, don't want to strugle through the learning curve that's unavoidable when they agree to represent a piece of equipment this new to the market place.

Sad for you.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I am just going to go and pick it up tomorrow and guess what....RIDE IT HOME! I am currently on crutches following surgery, but I will brave the elements and ride it in the cold. (Hope my doctor is not reading this). Just prop me up and point me in the right direction!

Before I call Pitbull and ramble on like some kind of madman, maybe someone here that knows the fine folks there and how they operate could tell me if the idea I have is even plausible. I am planning on attending Spyderfest his year. If I came a few days early and dropped the bike off, do you think repairs could be done even with all the Spyderfest stuff getting ready to happen? I know that parts availability and all that stuff can play a part and the fact that at his moment in time no one seems to know the cause of the problem, but I am obviously getting desperate. Lastly, if repairs could not be completed before Spyderfest, do they do loaner bikes or rentals so I am not sitting on the sidelines?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would need to talk directly with them for answers...
    http://www.pitbullpowersportsinc.com/
    Have a safe ride home... take it easy!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Suggestion

Reference poor service by dealers. We, as owner/operators, can control bad dealers more then the majority of us think. A good dealer survives on excellence in sales , service and parts availability. Paid for by us the consumer. Right or wrong?

If we publish the good guys the bad guys will go out of business. Problem solved!

you don't have to call the poor dealer a bum, scumbag,or brain dead. All you have to do is make it known he gives poor service.

as Pogo, once said, " I have found the enemy. He is us!" So quit griping and do something about it.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    He was refering to Pitbull Powersports in Springfield Missouri, a very good and knowledgeable dealer.

Cruzr Joe
    I just thought that since he was from Ohio he was talking Springfield Ohio. After all not too many people from Ohio ride to Missouri for service.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    3 Wheel what Springfield are you referencing? I'm feeling 100% confident you are not referring to Pitbull Powersports in Springfield, MO....but if I'm wrong..please explain why..
    NO NO not Pitbull, I thought Springfield Ohio since he was from Ohio. Sorry for freaking everybody out...
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Reference poor service by dealers. We, as owner/operators, can control bad dealers more then the majority of us think. A good dealer survives on excellence in sales , service and parts availability. Paid for by us the consumer. Right or wrong?

If we publish the good guys the bad guys will go out of business. Problem solved!

you don't have to call the poor dealer a bum, scumbag,or brain dead. All you have to do is make it known he gives poor service.

as Pogo, once said, " I have found the enemy. He is us!" So quit griping and do something about it.

Bob ...
    BUT! It can be mighty fine line between a lousy dealer, and an unreasonable request...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob ...
    BUT! It can be mighty fine line between a lousy dealer, and an unreasonable request...
    and would also like to reiterate Bob D's point. We have seen people with unreasonable requests rant against the same dealer over and over. They usually go away or are asked to go away by those who see through the situation.

On the other hand, there have been a few dealers who pop up on the radar screen over and over again with the same issues. A few of them have also gone away. Bottom line, before we are going to try to give a dealer the "flush", we need to make sure they deserve it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biosafena View Post
    "I froze my ears off riding that thing" says the service manager.

The bottom line is they want to check the belt tension (I believe this will be about the 6th time that has been checked). I asked about trying a different belt. Didn't seem too willing to try that. Said he talked with BRP and is now trying to sell he "normal vibration" bill of goods. If it is "normal" then why do other Spyders not vibrate like mine
    If the service manager wore a helmet his ears would not have frozen .

When I picked up my '12 RTS I had pointed out that the belt was against the sprocket hub but service tech just blew it off without even looking at it. I had a very bad vibration throughout the whole trike on the way home. At the 600 mile service I told him again about the belt location and about the vibration. Again he just blew it off and did nothing. What I found was the belt would ride up onto the hub under a load and snap back down on the sprocket as it came off the hub. This snap shook the whole trike all the way to the front right wheel. The edge of the belt started to scrape off leaving shards of rubber on the hub. Moved the belt 1 mm off the hub and the major vibration was gone. I still have the vibration in the front right wheel for a few minutes until the tire warms up.

I like my dealer but will no longer use their service department.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

I just walked walked in the door from picking up the bike from the dealer. After lengthy phone conversation yesterday, he admitted that he did not know what the problem was and didn't want to just throw parts at it. He did check the belt tension again and said that it was in the middle of the spec range. He advised that he likes them on the higher side, so he ran it up to 640 on his gauge. I questioned it because it is outside the spec range. He said he knew, but didn't think it would be a problem. Said to try and see if there is any difference. I immediately hit the freeway and found that he vibration is still present, but that the RPM that it happens at has been moved from about 5100-5700 up to 6300+. That is fine with me since I don tend to run down the freeway at 6300+ RPM. I will admit that the dealer did listen and try to respond to my issue, although reluctantly so. When he handed me a bill for $204.00 for a standard oil change I kind of wondered why so much, but didn't want to get into it with them and just wanted to get the bike home. I will be interested to see how the vibration is when it is really warm outside. Don't know if temperature has any effect on it or not. I will now get off my soapbox and tell Santa that I would like a close to home dealer that is of the caliber that folks in the middle of the country get to enjoy. Thanks again for letting me vent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you made it home okay!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    . . . amazing how many really , dealers are out there When you find a good one publicize them so others know where to go . . .

Pro Caliber Motorsports, Longview, WA - top notch dealer & service......
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By the way, (If I may ask...); what kind of surgery did you have, and are you healing up okay??

Spyder Garage

Thanks for asking. Had my ACL on the left knee reconstructed. The first two weeks were a little rough, but making progress and hope to be off the crutches next week. The will have elbow surgery in about three weeks. I know...I am a wreck! I just wanted all the pieces parts fixed before spring!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They DO sound like good Off-season projects.
    Make sure to pay attention to what the doctors tell you! We want you at 100% for next Spring!

Spyder Garage

Should be 100% on the physical things. As far as the mental things....dunno....this one could go either way!