Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Stabilizer Guarantees

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Stabilizer Guarantees

I have the Baker Built Belt Stabilizer and I LOVE it! Easy installation and works just as advertised.
    Thanks for a GREAT product!!!

KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info I am looking into one of these.

Spyder Garage

There is a reason OEM belt tensioners used on automotive and equipment applications do not use gas spring rods. The continuous motion is not what the rods are designed for and will wear quickly. Belt tensioners are a rotary spring, sometimes also molded with rubber with the spring to dampen but its a coil spring on an arm with the pulley on the arm. There is good reason standard SAE designs are done this way.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is a reason OEM belt tensioners used on automotive and equipment applications do not use gas spring rods. The continuous motion is not what the rods are designed for and will wear quickly. Belt tensioners are a rotary spring, sometimes also molded with rubber with the spring to dampen but its a coil spring on an arm with the pulley on the arm. There is good reason standard SAE designs are done this way.
    I totally disagree with your logic. The OEM belt tensioners used on automotive & equipment applications is to keep the Belts tight. The Belt Stabilizer is not designed to keep the belt tight but to stop the belt from causing vibrations. Two totally different Applications. Shock absorbers on cars last from 50,000 to 100,000 miles so it should be no different on the Gas Springs on our Belt Stabilizers. Also they are very inexpensive to replace if they should ever wear out.

Bruce

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    I totally disagree with your logic. The OEM belt tensioners used on automotive & equipment applications is to keep the Belts tight. The Belt Stabilizer is not designed to keep the belt tight but to stop the belt from causing vibrations. Two totally different Applications. Shock absorbers on cars last from 50,000 to 100,000 miles so it should be no different on the Gas Springs on our Belt Stabilizers. Also they are very inexpensive to replace if they should ever wear out.

Bruce
    Hmmmmm ...
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

First, since the item is a single roller applying force in only one direction, it is by definition adding tension to the belt. A belt tensioner not vibration absorber which would need to absorb energy in 2 directions. It does remove oscillations in the belt by decreasing the unsupported length of the belt, thus raising the harmonic frequency of the belt well above operating range.

Gas springs have o-ring seals and are quite susceptible to dirt on the polished rod. They are also not intended but for a few thousand cycles. Automotive shock absorbers are built entirely different with wiper type seals and lubricated o-rings behind and are designed for many millions of cycles.

I am not making this stuff up. The belt tensioner designs are all SAE standards and the reason they look nearly identical across almost every OEM application.

Folks can buy what they want but why try to reinvent and trouble shoot the wheel?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Stabilizer Gas Springs are Quality Made

All our production Gas Shocks have and added Rod Wipers as seen in the photo below. Our gas Shocks have a built in oil Supply that lubricates the O-ring seal as long as the Gas Shock is installed with the rod end pointed Down. We have had to replace 3 Gas Shocks because they were installed with the rod end up which didn’t allow the seal to be lubricated from the Built in Oil Supply. We have not had to replace any when they were installed properly and they are American Made.
    IMG_0427.jpgIMG_0428.jpg

I see no Reason these should not last as long as Automotive Shocks.
    Note: Let’s hear from our Customers their satisfaction rating and how many miles on their Belt Stabilizers?

Spyder Garage

Default Free Shipping!!

If you place a Order before December 2nd your Belt Stabilizer will ship for FREE.
    We hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Bruce Baker

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

Durability will fall in that "too many variables" catagory. Don't know how long your product has been on the market so the true results will have to wait a bit. So far seems to be doing well. I have the other one so I have to go on what I have heard...do feel the coil spring has a quicker responce...jmo..good luck on your promotions, they are great offers..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If the shock wears out,can a person buy just the shock,or do you have to buy the complete tensioner?..I asked this last august in another one of your threads,but I have not received an answer yet...I know you get a lot of questions..Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    If the shock wears out,can a person buy just the shock,or do you have to buy the complete tensioner?..I asked this last august in another one of your threads,but I have not received an answer yet...I know you get a lot of questions..Thanks!
    Your best bet to get an answer would be to contact the manufacturer/vendor directly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Post #5 states the shock is american made and could be replaced seperatly if needed.

Spyder Garage

First, since the item is a single roller applying force in only one direction, it is by definition adding tension to the belt. A belt tensioner not vibration absorber which would need to absorb energy in 2 directions. It does remove oscillations in the belt by decreasing the unsupported length of the belt, thus raising the harmonic frequency of the belt well above operating range.

Gas springs have o-ring seals and are quite susceptible to dirt on the polished rod. They are also not intended but for a few thousand cycles. Automotive shock absorbers are built entirely different with wiper type seals and lubricated o-rings behind and are designed for many millions of cycles.

I am not making this stuff up. The belt tensioner designs are all SAE standards and the reason they look nearly identical across almost every OEM application.

Folks can buy what they want but why try to reinvent and trouble shoot the wheel?
    Yes folks will buy what they want. I'm not sure this is the place to speculate that a vendors design is wrong. This is a pretty vocal group and I've not seen where someone has been unhappy with the product so far. If everyone just accepted that what we have is as good as it can possibly get and can't be improved on this would be called the Horse and Buggy Lovers site. Anything and everything can always be improved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    Yes folks will buy what they want. I'm not sure this is the place to speculate that a vendors design is wrong. This is a pretty vocal group and I've not seen where someone has been unhappy with the product so far. If everyone just accepted that what we have is as good as it can possibly get and can't be improved on this would be called the Horse and Buggy Lovers site. Anything and everything can always be improved.
    There is a great deal you do not get to read about on this forum. My comments were not 'speculation' but facts presented from my and others experience in the automotive and commercial equipment fields. take what you want and leave what you don't

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

There is a great deal you do not get to read about on this forum. My comments were not 'speculation' but facts presented from my and others experience in the automotive and commercial equipment fields. take what you want and leave what you don't
    Talk is cheap. If this is truly an inferior product lets see the facts. I'm not concerned with automotive type belt tensioners and he doesn't sell this as one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    sorry we missed your comment on a previous post, we do have replacement shocks if one were to ever wear out. We offer all replacement parts to our customers for any product we have.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Durability will fall in that "too many variables" catagory. Don't know how long your product has been on the market so the true results will have to wait a bit. So far seems to be doing well. I have the other one so I have to go on what I have heard...do feel the coil spring has a quicker responce...jmo..good luck on your promotions, they are great offers..!!
    I appreciate your comments about the Belt Tensioner. I agree about the coil spring being quicker to response but this is not what is needed. A product that is slow to react will do a better job of reducing vibrations than a product that is quick to react. Belt induced vibrations are a high frequency problem and as a result a product that is slow to react will do a better job of solving the vibration problem.
    Example #1- a good quality shock absorber on a car is slow reacting not fast reacting.
    Example #2- if the shocks on your car are worn out, your car will continue to rebound.
    Sincerely
    Bruce L Baker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wing Guy View Post
    I appreciate your comments about the Belt Tensioner. I agree about the coil spring being quicker to response but this is not what is needed. A product that is slow to react will do a better job of reducing vibrations than a product that is quick to react. Belt induced vibrations are a high frequency problem and as a result a product that is slow to react will do a better job of solving the vibration problem.
    Example #1- a good quality shock absorber on a car is slow reacting not fast reacting.
    Example #2- if the shocks on your car are worn out, your car will continue to rebound.
    Sincerely
    Bruce L Baker

A device can only dampen if it controls motion in both directions. The tensioner in question does not do that. It does not dampen, it tensions and reduces the unsupported length of the belt thus raising the harmonic frequency above the operating range. Slow response only means the belt moves faster than the tensioner and thus only tensions part of the time. IE the belt unloads the tensioner pulley when it fails to track the belt's movement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do appreciate the pros and cons comments on this topic. R & D and time will tell.

Facts always support the best .
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Wow

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As on Jerry Springer....... ding ding ding
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Stabilizer Test Results

We are running these comparison test with Rear Wheel Jacked up so that it isn't touching the ground. The Front wheels are both blocked in front & back. The Spyder is run thru the Gears as if it were being driven down the road with the throttle being operated from low to high in each Gear with with speeds up to 60mph.
    We made every effort to keep the same pace in both tests. Both with and without the use of the Belt Stabilizer.

With the Belt Stabilizer installed the belt up & down movement was kept to within 1/8"

Without the Belt Stabilizer pulley installed the Belt up and down movement was at least 3/4" or more with considerable flapping in the process. This is what causes the vibrations that you feel while riding down the road.

These test Comparisons show why the Belt Stabilizers are so effective at reducing Belt Vibrations.

The first Video is with The Baker Built Stabilizer

The second Video is without the Belt Stabilizer pulley Installed

Note:We have extended the Free Shipping special up thru Christmas. So order yours now to take advantage of the free shipping and our special winter pricing of just $185.00
    God Bless & Have a Merry Christmas!

Spyder Garage

Ok jcthorne, your turn. Show me that you are not speculating that this product does not or can not or will not work.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default stabilizer

looks like it works--think i'll just have to order one !!