Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited Air-Ride Question/Problem

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with my air-ride not inflating properly. The bag isn't leaking, as far as I can tell. I can inflate it manually, but as soon as I start down the street, it will deflate again. It seems like a calibration issue.

I'm getting close to bringing it in for an offseason overhaul where this issue will ultimately be repaired properly, but I have one more ride to make before the end of the season,...

So what are my short term options to make this final ride of the season?

Thanks in advance.

--Pete
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

If it is deflating, it is more likely a leak issue, but it is not clear what you are saying. Are you inflating it with the Schrader valve or the button. If you manually charge it at the Schrader valve, it will bleed off air to attain the selected ride height as soon as you start the Spyder, release the parking brake, and put the Spyder in gear. If you set it at the button, but it deflates, it is a leak (air bag, piping, or Schrader valve) or a failure of the air release solenoid. It could also be that the ACS sensor has failed or the link has become disconnected, so the Spyder can't read the actual ride height. If it was working before but is not doing so now, it should not be a calibration problem.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 11-11-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Hey Scotty,

Thanks for the reply.

I can inflate at the Schrader Valve manually. The button does not work at this point. The bag is not leaking. It will hold air over night when I manually inflate it.

So I should set the setting all the way up (stiffer ride), manually inflate at the Schrader Valve, and I should be ok for the weekend assuming I don't mess with the button settings?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    Hey Scotty,

Thanks for the reply.

I can inflate at the Schrader Valve manually. The button does not work at this point. The bag is not leaking. It will hold air over night when I manually inflate it.

So I should set the setting all the way up (stiffer ride), manually inflate at the Schrader Valve, and I should be ok for the weekend assuming I don't mess with the button settings?
    Yes, I would try that. I won't guarantee it will work, however. Also, check your ACS link at the left side of the swingarm. It should be OK, given what you have described, but it esn't hurt to check. After that, check fuse F8 and the suspension relay (R1). If OK, have your dealer look at your compressor.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Roger that, Scotty. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

My RT is currently in the shop for a failed compressor. When I would manually inflate through the Schrader valve, it would bleed air as as soon as I started riding. To eliminate the system's ability to dump air, I unplugged the electrical connection from the height sensor and cable tied it out of the way. Now it is truly a manual system. I would just inflate it to about 75 psi for 2-up riding and it would hold air just fine.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Bio, could this same effect be achieved by simply pulling the fuse, or would that raise hell with the computer?

Spyder Garage

Pulling the fuse on mine still didn't stop it from dumping air. The only way I found to stop it was to unplug the height sensor. It is easy to get to on the left side near the belt. Just one plug that goes into the sensor. Undoing all this didn't throw any codes or give the computer any issues. I rode it this way all summer so I did have it sitting in the shop while the weather was nice.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

That's a good description. Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Had the exact same problem and it was a failed compressor fixed under warranty.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Follow Up

Good afternoon,

At first I disconnected the auto ride height sensor, manually inflated the bag to 60 PSI, and then left it for a while to check some other things.

When I came back about 20 minutes later, I noticed that when I took the cap off the Schrader Valve, I got the slightest little "fftt", almost indiscernible, like it was under the tiniest bit of pressure, but leaking for sure,...

I grabbed my Schrader Valve tool, and gave it took almost two full turns,....the insert was really loose inside the housing. It had obviously (or not so obviously) come loose over time. There was no seal there at all, or half a seal at best.

Tightened it up, started the bike up, popped it in gear, and took her around the block a couple times to test. Brought the bike all the way down, and then all the way back up.

Looks like I'm all systems go. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the great advice.

--P

Spyder Garage

Default I don't understand this system!

I ride single. I'm 175lbs. Air pressure on mine is about 20lbs or less. When I'm riding and increase or decrease the setting, I can't tell any difference in ride quality. Seems a little too soft, no matter what. Should I put more pressure in via the valve? How much?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I ride single. I'm 175lbs. Air pressure on mine is about 20lbs or less. When I'm riding and increase or decrease the setting, I can't tell any difference in ride quality. Seems a little too soft, no matter what. Should I put more pressure in via the valve? How much?
    The automatis system sets the pressure to maintain ride height (and corresponding stiffness). It may run anywhere from 10 to 100 psi. If you think it is too soft, first check to see that the ACS is working. The Spyder should raise or lower when the setting is changed with the Spyder running, in gear, and the parking brake released. It helps to have someone off the machine either watch as you change, or measure to the rear fender. If it doesn't change, see your dealer. If it does and feels too soft, check that the rear shock is working properly. The Spyder should not bounce repeatedly if pressed down hard in the rear. If the shock is working prperly and the system holds air, an aftermarket shock may be your only solution. The suspension is supposed to be soft on a touring machine.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!