Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Refuses to fix my 2010 RT-S

Hello all,

I have a 2010 RT-S and since I bought in in early 2011, the Cell Phone Link between the Zumo 660 and my Wired Helmets has never worked. I have tried using the following Smart Phones: an HP Palm Pre, An IPhone 4s and a Samsung Galaxy S4. None of them Work.

I have worked with Garmin to try fixing this and they support has been excellent.

There is a posting here in the Forums on how to fix this but it seems that my bike is not setup the same as later 2010's. Everything in my bike is BRP Factory Installed.

BRP claims that they cannot be responsible for which phones work and don't work and even though the Manuals and sales materials claim this is a working function of the 2010 RT-S, which would prove it is a Manufacturer's Defect, they just don't care.

Riva Pompano, my dealer has tried it's best to get BRP to fix this and even after going back and forth with BRP over this issue personally they still refuse.

BTW, I even have the BRP Extended Factory Warranty which is good till April 2016

I don't know if it is the French Canadian attitude but they have been sounding very rude, nasty and unwilling even to sell me the parts to make this work. They call fixing this an upgrade. I would be willing to look at that but no one knows if even that will fix the issue.

At first they told me that there is no fix and then someone they said I could buy the Upgraded Comm System for the 2010. Again this means that BRP is completely aware of the issue and they want the owners to pay for it instead of them standing behind their product.

I call out facts that I have read about on this Site and they say I am "making things up".

I paid 25K+ for my 2010 and I was looking forward to the new 2015. (I was not going to buy a first year bike again).

BRP not only has lost a customer but I am ready to dump my bike just out of principal. That is how angry I am.

I have recommended to hundreds of people that I have run across that they should buy one of these. No More. My aim is to let everyone who is looking for a bike to stay away from any BRP Product.

How stupid could BRP be? The fix for this would cost them nothing in the scheme of things. I have even asked what it would cost me. I need this to work right!

They would keep a customer happy, they would have gotten a new sale in the future of $35-40K on a new 2015 RT-S and I would have continued to push sales of their products to many others.

I am done. Thanks for letting me vent.

Spyder Garage

There was a problem where the factory instructions for the cell phone link showed the connections backwsrds.
    Mine worked for the first summer it was instslled and now I have some static issue.
    The cell phone works with the ignition on snd the bike off.
    I'm considering buying the J&M unit but I don't need to talk to anyone that badly.
    Does the bluetooth connect in your car to the GPS?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Cut the cord and go Bluetooth and be done with it.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go bluetooth and don't look back. I had the hard wire set up for my Kawasaki and it failed. Now I have Sena Bluetooth headsets and they work great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are several issues that come into play with 2010 RT and the cellphone interface.

First of all, it requires the updated 2011 instrument cluster to be installed. This was a fix for the PTT button sticking on the 2010 RT models. Second, the cell phone interface cable had to be installed correctly. The instructions are reversed on which plugs are to be connected where. Third, you MAY need to have the updated CB antenna ground strap installed. The updated 2011 cluster and the correct installation are required for the cellphone interface to work. The cellphone interface is NOT compatible with the 2010 instrument cluster.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 11-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Non-Sequitur

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Cut the cord and go Bluetooth and be done with it.
    I agree! Bluetooth is the way to go!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFTL View Post
    Hello all,

I don't know if it is the French Canadian attitude but they have been sounding very rude, nasty and unwilling even to sell me the parts to make this work.

This is an unnecessary and silly remark brings nothing to the solution. I am proud to be a Quebecer (French Canadian). It is unpleasant to read such comments.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

your having these problems. There are other ways as mentioned that will solve your problem and probably work better. I'm not fond of hard wired systems anyway. But really..!! Dump the roadster and three wheeling over this seems a bit much to me. There are folks here with much more going on but hanging in there..whatever you decide good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    This is an unnecessary and silly remark brings nothing to the solution. I am proud to be a Quebecer (French Canadian). It is unpleasant to read such comments.
    I agree with you. I am a Cajun French from Louisiana. But no matter how one whines or the more one whines, things seem to be unresolved. He bought the Spyder new, as is, and that's the way BRP built it. BRP is in no way responsible to upgrade the Spyder to suit this person. If getting phone calls is that important, get Blue Tooth and be done with it. His problem and his remarks about the Spyder to people he comes in contact with belittle his character and his inability to get things his way.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

And, if you call BRP Service Center assistance number at (715) 848-4957, your call is directed in Wisconsin, not in Valcourt (Quebec).

Spyder Garage

I also recommend getting an aftermarket bluetooth system. We currently have Sena but I also used Cardo the first four years of Spyderdom. Had no major issues (other than more static) with the Cardo. Am completely satisfied with the Sena.

RE: first year units. Purchased a 2008 SM5--kept it until 2010 when I traded for a Premier Edition RT-S. 23,500 miles out of the 2008 without any mechanical issues other than oil changes, filters, a rear tire, and a set of front tires. The 2010 is much the same. Now 36,000 miles on it and no major mechanical problems.

Thinking about going for the 2014 RT-S when they become available.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I agree with you. I am a Cajun French from Louisiana. But no matter how one whines or the more one whines, things seem to be unresolved. He bought the Spyder new, as is, and that's the way BRP built it. BRP is in no way responsible to upgrade the Spyder to suit this person. If getting phone calls is that important, get Blue Tooth and be done with it. His problem and his remarks about the Spyder to people he comes in contact with belittle his character and his inability to get things his way.
    If the item was covered and not excluded in his warranty then indeed the statement "BRP is in no way responsible to upgrade the Spyder to suit this person" is incorrect. What do you think a recall is for. Or what if his VSS module died all the same. What about software updates via BUDS? I do however suggest the OP get Bluetooth it works much better with less hassle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Correct me if I'm wrong; The timeframes may not be correct...
    You bought the bike at least two and a half years' ago... and now you want it fixed?
    Wasn't there a two-year warranty on it when you bought it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You bought the bike at least two and a half years' ago... and now you want it fixed?
    You missed this part of the OP
    "BTW, I even have the BRP Extended Factory Warranty which is good till April 2016"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're absolutely right; SORRY!
    (Just back from the hospital; my 87 year-old aunt was in an auto accident...)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're absolutely right; SORRY!
    (Just back from the hospital; my 87 year-old aunt was in an auto accident...)
    Sorry to hear that hope she is OK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks... They're keeping her overnight. my Uncle is Upstate in the deer woods with no way to reach him.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it is the French Canadian attitude but they have been sounding very rude, nasty and unwilling even to sell me the parts to make this work.

No need for that.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    It is not "Whining" The use of a Wired /Cell phone interface was one of my questions when I bought the bike. The Dealer showed me the Manuals and it was supposed to work.

BRP knows this never worked and has fixed it for others. So why not me?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I originally thought my old HP Palm Pre was the issue even though it worked in both my Honda Pilot and My Nissan Quest.

About 8 months ago I upgraded to a IPhone 4s and that did not work and finally to a Galaxt S4 and still not working.

And BTW, I have the BRP Extended Warranty till 2016 so fixing this should not be an issue.

BRP kbnows what is wrong and it is obvious they don't care if I ever buy another one. Some company huh?

I

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    No need for that.

Just saying the truth. They were curt, rude, and they lied about calling me back.

Put yourself in my place before your post.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I originally thought my old HP Palm Pre was the issue even though it worked in both my Honda Pilot and My Nissan Quest.

About 8 months ago I upgraded to a IPhone 4s and that did not work and finally to a Galaxt S4 and still not working.

And BTW, I have the BRP Extended Warranty till 2016 so fixing this should not be an issue.

BRP kbnows what is wrong and it is obvious they don't care if I ever buy another one. Some company huh?

I
    Accessories do not carry the same warranty as the machine. If I remember correctly they are covered for only 60 (or 90) days unless installed prior to the original delivery and specifically listed on the warranty registration. In that case they are covered only for the period of the original warrnty, not the extended warranty.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello all,

I have a 2010 RT-S and since I bought in in early 2011, the Cell Phone Link between the Zumo 660 and my Wired Helmets has never worked. I have tried using the following Smart Phones: an HP Palm Pre, An IPhone 4s and a Samsung Galaxy S4. None of them Work.
    Thank you all for replying to this. I have to say I have calmed down a bit since I did my original post BRP Customer Service seems to go out of it's way to pi$$ you off.

After fighting with them for two weeks and not having my bike for over six weeks and missing several great rides, you can understand my frustration.

BTW, I did originally go Bluetooth with Scala G4's which honestly worked very poorly. I need to use the Zumo GPS and I want to listen to my IPOD and the FM Radio and the only way to do all this was to be wired.

If I could do some sort of Hybrid of Wired and Bluetooth, I would jump at it.

Anyway, I know for a fact that BRP has fixed this issue for others and for some reason, they first blew off my Dealer and the Dealer asked me to get involved and then they blew me off.

And to answer one of the Replys' All of my Radio/CB/ICom/ZUMO is Factory Installed and came with the bike.

Again, Thanks for all of your comments.

Marc
    Last edited by MarcFTL; 11-04-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Accessories do not carry the same warranty as the machine. If I remember correctly they are covered for only 60 (or 90) days unless installed prior to the original delivery and specifically listed on the warranty registration. In that case they are covered only for the period of the original warrnty, not the extended warranty.
    All items were factory installed prior to purchase of the bike