Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I have had enough "spyder loving" from non 2013 owners

I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you know nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-31-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Does someone need a hug?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013, are you talking about non 2013 RT owners? Because I have a 2013 ST-S w/ seemingly no heat problems, although I'm adding wrap to my exhaust because someone mentioned it would quiet the bike down quite a bit.

And I really don't see BRP standing up and doing anything more about the 2013 problems personally.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    Does someone need a hug?
    He needs a bike that runs..... comprende, Mag Dave has been proactive in trying to get his bike running right.... the problem is some of the 13's have issues that only brp can fix.. if they don't fix it, some of us have VERY expensive trot line weights sitting in out garages on 3 wheels
    Last edited by hotglue; 10-31-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to bash you. I would not want to be in your position. I wish you well.

I too worked for GM for a few years...I got berated in a meeting for questioning an executive in a meeting. There was a discussion about a faulty connector in the Cavaliers...the engineer told the meeting chairman that the new connector would only cost 35 cents more per car. The "brilliant" exec screamed about how the car was already over priced and and that GM would deal with it under warranty ....

I spoke up about how dumb that was...big exec a-hole screamed at me about he knew better than me about the industry...and they wondered why the public thought GM products sucked.

Oh yeah...my contract was cancelled a week later!
    Last edited by Some Guy; 10-31-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spelling and stuff

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

I am not near you but if you were near me, I would trade you rides for a week or more just to see if there is a heat difference (recalls applied).
    Mine is a 2011 and if you look way back to posts from then, heat issues were a complaint. If I had the opportunity to step into your shoes and ride a 2013 now that I have experience on a 2011, I really would like to.

I am not hammering you 2013 owners! For sure something is going on that I do not doubt. I personally would like to experience it and see. Really I am not kidding about that.

Anyway, if I ever post sounding like I am blowing you 2013 owners off, PM me so I know and understand.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.
    Your opinion is humble?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece.
    +1000!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I'm not going yo bash you. I would not want to be in your position. I wish you well.

I too worked for GM for a few years...I got berated in a meeting for questioning an executive in a meeting. There was a discussion about a faulty connector in the Cavaliers...the engineer told the meeting chairman that the new connector would only cost 35 cents more per car. The "brilliant" exec screamed about how the car was already over priced and and that GM would deal with it under warranty ....

I spoke up about how dumb that was...big exec a-hole screamed at me about he knew better than me about the industry...and they wondered why the public thought GM products sucked.

I've always thought GM sucked, just sayin' :FordBlueBlood:

lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder...and I know how some of you like to hear NOTHING but 'good' about the spyders..... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.
    Last edited by hotglue; 10-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does someone need a hug?
    I think you are being rude.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotglue View Post
    Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.
    HG, You and FB need to speak your piece and loudly as do the other owners with these unsolved issues.

If someone doesn't want to hear or read about it they don't have to click the post. Simple as that.

CB
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You know, Dave, your hatred of your Spyder and BRP is consuming your life. It's eating you up. We all get that you have had problems with your Spyder and are upset. I really believe you would be much better off without it, even if you had to take a loss. I cannot imagine how you can enjoy ryding something you are paranoid about.

That being said, you DO NOT speak for all 2013 owners. Many (most?) of us have had good experiences with our Spyders and most of us have found reputable dealers to help us out with any issues. My 2013 RT-S did not have bad shocks; did not have bad ball joints; the alignment was dead on when Lamonster checked it; my gas has never boiled; my gas cap has never been too hot to touch; nothing has melted under the tupperware.

You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up. We had a post just last week about a fellow whose Honda or Harley trike caught fire while it was idling in the driveway.

Your comparisons between BRP and GM are unfair. BRP is a small company still undergoing growing pains. It has been a manufacturer of motorcycles for less than ten years. It's dealer network is small with many dealers struggling to deal with the technical challenges of the Spyder. GM is the largest vehicle manufacturing company in the world, with over 100 years to develop and refine its products, its dealer network, and its customer support.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well... I was going to send a PM to Lamont and request that my user name be removed and I was going on my way... until I read this thread! It appears that I have "backup" to support my gripes and concerns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On
    Y'all don't wanna mess with FB when she has her' Big Girl Pants' on.....Fair warning!

Spyder Garage

Does someone need a hug?

It's nice to have a little sense of humor around here sometimes to ease the stressful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    It's nice to have a little sense of humor around here sometimes to ease the stressful.
    Or to be completely oblivious to the issues.....
    Last edited by hotglue; 10-31-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I hope this thread continues!

I would like to hear from many with both sides of the story.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I've always thought GM sucked, just sayin' :FordBlueBlood:

lol

Hehehe...I drive a Ford!

the week before I started at GM, some of the union guys flipped a non-GM truck in the parking lot over and set fire to it! OK... This was 20 years ago... They're not reading this...or they're dead!!!
    Last edited by Some Guy; 10-31-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Spelling...

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    He he...I dive a Ford!

the week before I started at GM, some of the union guys flipped a non-GM truck in the parking lot over and set fire to it! OK... This was 20 years ago... They're not reading this...or they're dead!!!
    Is it at all possible to stay on subject and not diverge into a Ford GM thing?

Just sayin....

I want to see this continue with full user feedback and input and not have this turn into another thread with a ton of dribble...

Sorry,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    You know, Dave, your hatred of your Spyder and BRP is consuming your life. It's eating you up. We all get that you have had problems with your Spyder and are upset. I really believe you would be much better off without it, even if you had to take a loss. I cannot imagine how you can enjoy ryding something you are paranoid about.

That being said, you DO NOT speak for all 2013 owners. Many (most?) of us have had good experiences with our Spyders and most of us have found reputable dealers to help us out with any issues. My 2013 RT-S did not have bad shocks; did not have bad ball joints; the alignment was dead on when Lamonster checked it; my gas has never boiled; my gas cap has never been too hot to touch; nothing has melted under the tupperware.

You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up. We had a post just last week about a fellow whose Honda or Harley trike caught fire while it was idling in the driveway.

Your comparisons between BRP and GM are unfair. BRP is a small company still undergoing growing pains. It has been a manufacturer of motorcycles for less than ten years. It's dealer network is small with many dealers struggling to deal with the technical challenges of the Spyder. GM is the largest vehicle manufacturing company in the world, with over 100 years to develop and refine its products, its dealer network, and its customer support.
    There have been 3 fires the first was the demo bike in PA, the second was one week before mine in Canada and then there was mine. You can find this info out by reading the recall data at NHTSA website. While there have been 3 fires there have been many Spyders that had melted parts when they went in for the recall work. So you can count your blessings that you didn't have a problem but don't downplay those of us who have had them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Well... I was going to send a PM to Lamont and request that my user name be removed and I was going on my way... until I read this thread! It appears that I have "backup" to support my gripes and concerns.
    We have felt the same....

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mark found my melted parts in June and had the first...that I know of repair to master cylinder, brake cable and canister...or mine would have burned to the ground...just saying....the 2013 is a different animal

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder