Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    ...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I guess it's time for me to jump in here. I too have a 2013 ST that runs hot, not motor hot but components hot. My right foot got so hot I couldn't keep it on the floor boards. Really surprised there has not been more complaints about that on the board. I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. I've owned every make, model and year Spyder to date and the 2013 ST is the hottest of them all followed by my 2008. I really do feel bad for the folks that are having heat issues, I know if I couldn't work on my own bike I would be one of those people.

I will say that BRP does care and just because a fix has not happened soon enough for most of you that are having issues they are working on it. They are just as unhappy as you all, more so I would think seeing this has to have hurt the bottomline. At one time all we talked about here was the DPS and then it was the throttle bodies and now it's the heat. The DPS and the throttle body were real problems but are a thing of the past now. I'm sure we loss owners and members over those issues and we will most likely see some leave the product and the board over the heat issues. I hate that too but it is what it is and all I can do is to try and put it into perspective and hope for a good outcome. I'm confident there will be a resolve to these issues.
    Lamont...I appreciate that you posted this information...and I believe BRP wants to fix the problems plaguing some 2013's...but just doesn't know how.....I'm waiting and working with BRP...but I don't complain about the hot right foot, because I can move the foot...the only time I can't move it is stop and go traffic and you just suffer....if someone complains...then they don't wear the right shoes...etc...easier not to complain.....try to only complain about melting/ deteriorating parts and engine problems

" I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. " What have you done to help create a better ride?

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default if it was me

i'm not trying to be an ass, but if i had this problem, i would take a panel off of each side and ride it like that until a real solution is found. at least you'll still be riding.
    it was fun while it lasted.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride my Spyder....if it quits while I'm riding ....I'll call someone to help

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    We will see if you are barking the same tune next summer if a fix doesn't come out You came to the party late

I've riden my bike here when it was pretty hot out, it was warm but not unbearable. I think it's normal for what it is.

I don't think my bike is that hot.

If it gets too hot for me, I will try a fix.

Why should I expect BRP to do something about my comfort?

If there is a code thrown or a safety issue, I believe they will step in.

Otherwise I will continue to enjoy my ride.

If you hate the ride sell it and move on, quit your freaking bitching. Sheesh.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I guess it's time for me to jump in here. I too have a 2013 ST that runs hot, not motor hot but components hot. My right foot got so hot I couldn't keep it on the floor boards. Really surprised there has not been more complaints about that on the board. I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. I've owned every make, model and year Spyder to date and the 2013 ST is the hottest of them all followed by my 2008. I really do feel bad for the folks that are having heat issues, I know if I couldn't work on my own bike I would be one of those people.

I will say that BRP does care and just because a fix has not happened soon enough for most of you that are having issues they are working on it. They are just as unhappy as you all, more so I would think seeing this has to have hurt the bottomline. At one time all we talked about here was the DPS and then it was the throttle bodies and now it's the heat. The DPS and the throttle body were real problems but are a thing of the past now. I'm sure we loss owners and members over those issues and we will most likely see some leave the product and the board over the heat issues. I hate that too but it is what it is and all I can do is to try and put it into perspective and hope for a good outcome. I'm confident there will be a resolve to these issues.

Seems to be a crap shoot as far as which vehicle does what? My ST-S does fine, no real heat problem...though it does get a little warm at times.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    ​I agree with SNOOPY.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I've riden my bike here when it was pretty hot out, it was warm but not unbearable. I think it's normal for what it is.

I don't think my bike is that hot.

If it gets too hot for me, I will try a fix.

Why should I expect BRP to do something about my comfort?

If there is a code thrown or a safety issue, I believe they will step in.

Otherwise I will continue to enjoy my ride.

If you hate the ride sell it and move on, quit your freaking bitching. Sheesh.
    And if you have nothing to add you can move on and quit padding your post count you are never gonna catch Bob anyway Sheesh
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I ride my Spyder....if it quits while I'm riding ....I'll call someone to help
    FB what did BRP tell your dealer was OK to do on your bike like the insulation?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

And if you have nothing to add you can move on and quit padding your post count you are never gonna catch Bob anyway Sheesh

Dang it, you caught on to me. LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Percent of 2013 with problems

​I wonder what percent of 2013 have problems vs. 2013 without problems. I have a 2013 ST-S with just over 5000 miles and have no problems at all, I did get a laser alignment done and it does drive better now but I don't think it was really a problem before. We hear a lot of the bad but how many are like me and have no issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlt31971 View Post
    ​I wonder what percent of 2013 have problems vs. 2013 without problems. I have a 2013 ST-S with just over 5000 miles and have no problems at all, I did get a laser alignment done and it does drive better now but I don't think it was really a problem before. We hear a lot of the bad but how many are like me and have no issues.
    That is the million dollar question The recent poll on here showed a little over 100 2013 owners and 50% said they had moderate to severe heat issues. We don't even know how many 2013 owners use the site and what about the thousands that do not know about it. At least 1/2 the few owners I have met do not know about this site including my dealerships techs.

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=hotglue;714839]Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder...and I know how some of you like to hear NOTHING but 'good' about the spyders..... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.

Sure feel you an Flamingo Lady's pain. You are spot on with your answer. I'll keep both our Spyders for short distance riding but for the kind of touring that you and Flamibgo Lady do, I will be riding my Goldwing Trike. I want a bike I have confidence in and not worry about being stuck in Albuquerque again or anywhere else. I sure hope you get the response from BRP that you and the others deserve.

Spyder Garage

That is the million dollar question The recent poll on here showed a little over 100 2013 owners and 50% said they had moderate to severe heat issues. We don't even know how many 2013 owners use the site and what about the thousands that do not know about it. At least 1/2 the few owners I have met do not know about this site including my dealerships techs.

Again, I'm a 2013 owner and didn't vote in the poll.

Maybe it's flawed.

Spyder Garage

Default always late, but worth the wait

I have been out of the loop for a bit, but here I am to save the day!!! Maybe not but I gotta get in on this. MagDave: I gotta take exception to a couple things you posted. I ride a 2012 RS-S and I am extremely upset about the goings on with the 2013 owners: I will not be "hating on you". I also ride Ski-Doo snowmobiles, the design is nothing like a sled even though the ride is similar. BRP is dealing with things the way they have in the past. In the late 1990's Ski-doo released a purple sled with a brand new rear suspension called the "ARC system". My brother traded in his sled and got one. Before it had 500 miles on it he had named the sled "Jumpin Jesus", and had stated several times " you can either stay on it through the bumps or ride it through the corners". Instead of fixing the sled, they made drastic changes to the next years models. Bombardier sits on the newest best stuff until they need it to boost sales. Hence the reason drastic model changes are made several years apart. The 2014s are sporting some of the stuff they had planned to save for the future, but the model you have has not been changed. Last, but not least, the run away toyota thing was greatly exaggerated in the media. It is amazing what a little influence can do in this country. One question, is the heat issue found in the 2013 RS models? If not, maybe there is something there worth looking into?

I did notice one thing: your picture in your signature is in poor taste for a 2103 owner. Just kidding, it is kinda ironic though.

Last edited by otter28169; 11-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I have been out of the loop for a bit, but here I am to save the day!!! Maybe not but I gotta get in on this. MagDave: I gotta take exception to a couple things you posted. I ride a 2012 RS-S and I am extremely upset about the goings on with the 2013 owners: I will not be "hating on you". I also ride Ski-Doo snowmobiles, the design is nothing like a sled even though the ride is similar. BRP is dealing with things the way they have in the past. In the late 1990's Ski-doo released a purple sled with a brand new rear suspension called the "ARC system". My brother traded in his sled and got one. Before it had 500 miles on it he had named the sled "Jumpin Jesus", and had stated several times " you can either stay on it through the bumps or ride it through the corners". Instead of fixing the sled, they made drastic changes to the next years models. Bombardier sits on the newest best stuff until they need it to boost sales. Hence the reason drastic model changes are made several years apart. The 2014s are sporting some of the stuff they had planned to save for the future, but the model you have has not been changed. Last, but not least, the run away toyota thing was greatly exaggerated in the media. It is amazing what a little influence can do in this country. One question, is the heat issue found in the 2013 RS models? If not, maybe there is something there worth looking into?

Just sayin'............
    The issues mainly are RT/ST related and the 2013 DOES have changes to it that were made for the 2014 The suspension is the 2014 suspension and several components were moved those are the ones that were melting. The movement of those may have decreased air flow. The bottom pans are different than the 2010-12 too.

The sig is SUPPOSED to be ironic. If anyone ever gets hurt by a fire I will pull it but luckily no one has so far.
    Last edited by Magdave; 11-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned. I just want it to be able to take me to the Grand Canyon safely without breakdowns. I am not sure that is possible yet so I keep within my 200mi. BEST towing limit. I REALLY would rather not have to do that. Face it back in the day you could fix a bike on the side of the road not this one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For those who are interested, Power Commander now has units for 2013 Spyders.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

I've been gone from here for a long time - since the same craziness over the dps on the 2008s, and I see that people still feel very passionately on all sides of the issue.

For the record, I was a happy 2008 owner, even with dps issues, but traded it in on a 2010 as soon as the warranty was up. I was an ecstatic 2010 RSS owner, and I am now a happy 2013 ST-Ltd owner, even with some heat on my left leg, but not as bad as it was on the 2008.

i've also just bought a new Cadillac ATS and spend a lot of time on their forum now. There are Cadillac customer service reps active - really active - on that forum and they have been really responsive to some issues that have come up on this brand new model. My point is that Can Am/Brp could learn something from that. What could have turned into the same kind of nightmare that some of you are dealing with, has been handled in a civilized, quick, and (it seems) effective manner.

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

Angry

I don't complain about the hot right foot, because I can move the foot...the only time I can't move it is stop and go traffic and you just suffer....if someone complains...then they don't wear the right shoes...etc..
    I do not have a 13 spyder, but, I do understand the problems you and others have.

It's unfortunate to hear the door doesn't swing BOTH ways with you. Or, you would be more understanding of people who wear the right 'boots' don't wear a size 4 shoe, and continue to try to resolve the right foot heat issue.

Speaking for myself. I find your comment offensive and narrow minded.

I thought long and hard before writing this response. But, could not, not respond to what I interpreted as a cheap shot.

Hope your issues are resolved sooner rather than later.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On

My 2013 ST Limited is one of the sort of ok bikes. Some heat issues and some steering issues. I don't complain much on the board about it but i do get information. What makes me angry with BRP that even the things that could be fixed were hard to find out about. Here is an example. Steering problems aren't only limited to bad alignment but the bad shock problem. You can get free shocks if you complain under 1800 miles. Isn't that nice.Steering issues also got left behind because of the heat problems. I will fight to the end to make my bike right knowing that it is a losing battle. One last thing some should think about. paying 30K to be a beta tester is not a fun thing. 2014 RTs maybe you don't want to go buy one so fast. I would take some of the issues with the 2013s and wait on those 2014s to see what happens. Now that i have said my piece back to the battle with the dealer tomorrow about my bike issues.The class of 2013 bikes with issues is not going to ever be forgotten or go away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned.
    They ARE addictive; aren't they?

Dave,
    You've been pretty vocal about your problems... AND your attempts to placate them! That is EXACTLY what is needed right now.
    To the Trekkers out there...
    Remember the old Klingon proverb; "Only a fool fights inside a burning house."

Let's work together to solve this; we can fight over tire pressures/helmet usage/oil brands later!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default power commander

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    For those who are interested, Power Commander now has units for 2013 Spyders.
    just what would the power commander do for our bikes. i have looked into them and even put one on my triumph and never noticed a difference. can someone explain how it could help a bike with heat problems, i would think to keep the bike running right it would be built into the software of the ecu
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're kicking around this idea, without determining if the bikes (Char's excluded) ARE in fact running lean enough to be a part of the problem...
    If the ECM can be shown to have a "programming problem"; perhaps these units might be able to richen the mix up enough to help...
    But I've also heard that the dealer can also reflash the ECM; does that make enough of a change to help??
    More investigation of this option might be useful.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned. I just want it to be able to take me to the Grand Canyon safely without breakdowns. I am not sure that is possible yet so I keep within my 200mi. BEST towing limit. I REALLY would rather not have to do that. Face it back in the day you could fix a bike on the side of the road not this one.

It it would really suck not trusting a vehicle to travel very far.

That's why I don't buy GM products as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We're kicking around this idea, without determining if the bikes (Char's excluded) ARE in fact running lean enough to be a part of the problem...
    If the ECM can be shown to have a "programming problem"; perhaps these units might be able to richen the mix up enough to help...
    But I've also heard that the dealer can also reflash the ECM; does that make enough of a change to help??
    More investigation of this option might be useful.

"If" BRP found some of this to be an ECM software problem, it would be super easy to send the file to a dealer to reflash..."if" the dealer had the capability to.

I know car dealerships do this all the time, usually re flashing for safety type settings like airbag sensitivity or throttle sensitivity, etc etc