Spyder Garage

Default Taking appointments for laser alignments now

Just got back from a 4000+ mile trip and I'm back home ready to do some alignments. I have one tomorrow and two on Thursday so this week is good if you're thinking about it. I have learned a lot on this trip and there is an extra step that's been added to the mix to make sure it's done right. We now measure the spindle width before setting the rear targets. We have some good hard data on the variances of the spindle width on the GS/RS/ST and RT. This effects where you place your targets. The other variable I found today was the rear wheel width. I've also learned how to compensate for caster being off and pulling one side or the other after the alignment has been set. I've had to do this on two Spyders so far and it works great. Mike at Outlaw/Rolo showed me that trick.

You can shoot me a PM or just call me cell to make an appointment.
    423-552-0728

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've also learned how to compensate for caster being off and pulling one side or the other after the alignment has been set. I've had to do this on two Spyders so far and it works great. Mike at Outlaw/Rolo showed me that trick.
    I still have a slight pull, more like a drift than a hard pull, to the right following a laser alignment. Wish Mike's trick for fixing that had been known when I got my alignment done. I sent your post to the dealer that did my alignment and suggested they call Mike to learn his trick for fixing the pulling.

Thanks fir the post, Lamont.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

While several of us were sitting around "telling lies" I did notice Lamont making notes with each alignment that he performed. It was a work in progress. The man is really dedicated to making this a methodical and reliable process. My hats off to both you and Harvey, Lamont, for what ya'll did down at ROLO/Outlaw at Biketoberfest. Especially in the heat and with all of us around having fun.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Please share all of your discoveries with the others who are now doing alignments. Mike is coming to SA this weekend, and I am sure he would appreciate any tips that make the alignment more accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 RT Limited
    SpiderWrap Graphics
    KewlMetal DualKewl FenderZ Running Lights
    TricLED Dual Running & Brake Lights
    Seal Floorboards
    Bajaron Anti-Sway Bar
    Utopia Backrest
    Diamond R Luggage Rack
    SpyderPops Upper Blockoff
    SpyderPops Catalytic Converter Shield

Spyder Garage

Default Taking appointments for laser alignments now

So, if we have already had the alignment done are you suggesting that we go back and have them checked ?
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

I echo Chris' (Mouthpiece) comments. Glad to say I've been lucky enough to twice watch Lamont doing alignments. It's not only great to watch Lamont work to improve his experience but fun to watch Harvey and Lamont (friends, businessmen and true "Spyder Lovers") work together. Both are true gentlemen who care about the Spyder world.

My personal experience was Lamont doing my RT-S at Pitbull's. It wasn't out enough to warrant adjusting, according to Lamont, so he didn't charge me. In fact, he checked it twice, first before shock relocators and then after to see if it made any difference, it didn't. Now that he has all this experience, he says he wants to do it again. He's dedicated to improving everyone's ryding experience, thanks Lamont
    Last edited by boomerkc; 10-22-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post
    So, if we have already had the alignment done are you suggesting that we go back and have them checked ?
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. Liken to what Lamont has found out over the past couple of months is that his method is "new and improved".

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post
    No, what I'm saying is there are better ways to get the right starting point with your targets. The toe will remain the same. If you happen to be one of the unlucky ones that even after the tire pressure has been checked, your suspension adjusted and your steering angle sensor and torque sensor reset you still have an issue with it pulling left or right we can fix that. Your toe was dead on when we got done and that's not going to change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    While several of us were sitting around "telling lies" I did notice Lamont making notes with each alignment that he performed. It was a work in progress. The man is really dedicated to making this a methodical and reliable process. My hats off to both you and Harvey, Lamont, for what ya'll did down at ROLO/Outlaw at Biketoberfest. Especially in the heat and with all of us around having fun.

Chris
    Make Year Spindle Set Target Toe
    GS 2008 64 7/16" 28 1/2" 1 3/8"
    RS 2010 64 3/8" 28 3/4" 1 1/4"
    RS 2011 64 3/8" 28 5/8" 1"
    RT 2011 66 3/8" 29 7/16" 1 1/8"
    RT 2013 66 3/8" 29 1/2" 1 1/16"
    RT 2013 66 3/16" 29 1/2" 1 3/16"
    RT 2012 66 7/16" 29 9/16" 1 1/4"
    ST 2013 63 11/16" 28" 1"
    ST 2013 63 5/8" 28 1/8" 1 1/4"
    ST 2013 63 5/8" 28 1/4" 1 1/8"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomerkc View Post
    I echo Chris' (Mouthpiece) comments. Glad to say I've been lucky enough to twice watch Lamont doing alignments. It's not only great to watch Lamont work to improve his experience but fun to watch Harvey and Lamont (friends, businessmen and true "Spyder Lovers") work together. Both are true gentlemen who care about the Spyder world.

My personal experience was Lamont doing my RT-S at Pitbull's. It wasn't out enough to warrant adjusting, according to Lamont, so he didn't charge me. In fact, he checked it twice, first before shock relocators and then after to see if it made any difference, it didn't. Now that he has all this experience, he says he wants to do it again. He's dedicated to improving everyone's ryding experience, thanks Lamont
    Lamont and Harvey checked my bike and told me the alignment was perfect.They would not charge me.I also watched them doing others.They are indeed a class act.

ivor

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont and Harvey. Had my alignment done at biketoberfest. Bike always drifted to the right. Not a lot, something I could put up with. What I didn't like was the right front tire wearing out on the inside. 2011 RTS tracks straight and true and I expect my tire will now wear evenly. Thanks again guys. Had fun hanging out with the other spyder lovers.

Spyder Garage

Make Year Spindle Set Target Toe
    GS 2008 64 7/16" 28 1/2" 1 3/8"
    RS 2010 64 3/8" 28 3/4" 1 1/4"
    RS 2011 64 3/8" 28 5/8" 1"
    RT 2011 66 3/8" 29 7/16" 1 1/8"
    RT 2013 66 3/8" 29 1/2" 1 1/16"
    RT 2013 66 3/16" 29 1/2" 1 3/16"
    RT 2012 66 7/16" 29 9/16" 1 1/4"
    ST 2013 63 11/16" 28" 1"
    ST 2013 63 5/8" 28 1/8" 1 1/4"
    ST 2013 63 5/8" 28 1/4" 1 1/8"
    So, the ST has a narrower track than the RS? That is surprising!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

RodMyers

Just got back from a 4000+ mile trip and I'm back home ready to do some alignments. I have one tomorrow and two on Thursday so this week is good if you're thinking about it. I have learned a lot on this trip and there is an extra step that's been added to the mix to make sure it's done right. We now measure the spindle width before setting the rear targets. We have some good hard data on the variances of the spindle width on the GS/RS/ST and RT. This effects where you place your targets. The other variable I found today was the rear wheel width. I've also learned how to compensate for caster being off and pulling one side or the other after the alignment has been set. I've had to do this on two Spyders so far and it works great. Mike at Outlaw/Rolo showed me that trick.

You can shoot me a PM or just call me cell to make an appointment.
    423-552-0728

I'm the 1000 appointment. Just have coffee ready ;–) looks like it'll be a wee bit cool on Thursday morning

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Spyder Garage

I just wanted to clarify an earlier post that I submitted. I did NOT mean to imply that the procedure set up by ROLO/Outlaw was not accurate. Quite the contrary. Mike (and I think Norm) were the masterminds of coming up with the procedure, and I'm sure that their expertise has been passed on to the many dealer/people who have purchased this product. I was simply commenting earlier on the tenacity that Lamont had in fine tuning things.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodMyers View Post
    I'm the 1000 appointment. Just have coffee ready ;–) looks like it'll be a wee bit cool on Thursday morning

Got a little rain this morning. I hope it's gone by tomorrow.

RodMyers

Supposedly no rain tomorrow, but low 40's or high 30's

Spyder Garage

Got a little snow this afternoon. Count your lucky stars!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!