Spyder Garage

Default Newbie and oldie

I have just made the leap to a RT spyder. I lost my left leg above the knee just about a year ago on the day of hurricane Sandy. I have since then sold my 2002 Wing and my 2011 W ee Strom. I test rode a Spyder last Thursday and bought one on Friday. Can't say that I had complete control of it even after 42 years of riding motorcycles and over a million miles. How long does it take to make the transition to being a fair spyder rider?
    Thank You
    Bill Kane
    Stoc member
    IBA member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

n NEVER giving up!!
    Do you have any experience riding ATVs or snowmobiles? Spyders feel much more like them; than they do like motorcycles... It'll take at least a couple of hundred miles to get the cornering figured out... You'll have no problem!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

300~400 miles for me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A whole lot like riding a atv. It will take a few hundred miles to get used to it. Good luck and happy riding.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I've never ridden ATV's or snowmobiles either- Harley's all my life. took me about 2-3 weeks of light riding. highway speeds took a little longer for that weird feeling to go away....and now 4500 mi. later I feel like a pro driving it. cheers!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Took me about 600 miles to say "I got it". Fine tuning the machine and adding a few of the more popular handling accessories will have you feeling like Mario Andretti in no time.

Spyder Garage

Default Time will tell..!!

welcome to the two best places to be..!! Roadster ryding and the place for all the answers about roadster ryding.. Take your time, you need to forget al lot first and the rest comes easy and after a few hundred miles things start to feel like you were always on a roadster. Then a whole new set of adventures start. Browse about and you will see what I mean...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIRST things FIRST

I have the same kind of riding background as you and all I can tell you is....
    the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle, it does not ride, drive turn, like a motorcycle
    you will have to brake many habits you have such as bump steering, counter steering
    braking and such, Hey but when you get the hang of it you will grow to love it.
    I don't know where you live but if you are "I bet you are" a rider who loves the twisties
    you must be with the Vstrom you will find that after a day riding in the hills and corners
    you will be more tired because you have to steer it and not just lean into it. Other than that
    It is a blast. I didn't loose my leg like you but I had my knees replaced and my wife told me
    if I wanted her to ride with me I had to get something that don't tip over. so a Spyder it is.
    You should plan on a few hundred miles to get the hang of it...
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ST114ME View Post
    I have just made the leap to a RT spyder. I lost my left leg above the knee just about a year ago on the day of hurricane Sandy. I have since then sold my 2002 Wing and my 2011 W ee Strom. I test rode a Spyder last Thursday and bought one on Friday. Can't say that I had complete control of it even after 42 years of riding motorcycles and over a million miles. How long does it take to make the transition to being a fair spyder rider?
    Thank You
    Bill Kane
    Stoc member
    IBA member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And everyone who has NEVER ridden one thinks they are So much "easier" to ride.....haha.
    Give yourself a good 1000 miles to get good and comfortable and then it will be second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde. People brand new to rydeing and the usually catch on to the handling within a couple hundred miles. Many of us who have cut our teeth on two wheels and lots of miles, seem to take a few more miles to get past the learning curve. There are several habits to unlearn.

For me, it took about 500 miles before I felt I had it. Driving cycles since 1965. (48 years).

Attached is a thread that many new riders find helpful: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=tips+riders

Enjoy your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

AK thanks for the link that was huge..

Spyder Garage

. and on your new ...............practice, practice, practice, you'll get the hang of it!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Took me much longer than most of the above. With 60 years of 2 wheelers my brain was imbued with their type of handling. Shortly after getting the RT I began to think it was the biggest and costliest mistake of my life. With no going back, I had to ride, so I rode everyday for a few miles which gradually extended as my brain finally began to assimilate the peculiarities of the RT. For me it was about 3000 miles before i became really comfortable. With 31K on it now, I would never want anything else.........unless it was the new '14!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Wait a bit before you hit the expressway. Other wise it's like point and shoot....Gary
    2012 RTS 2065 miles
    Web Boards, Champion Tour Full Cover
    USAF 67-71 Weapons Mechanic -Love my B-52
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Spyder Garage

are you getting a 2013 or 2014?

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't believe there is any set time or miles on getting used to a spyder as we all have different learning curves but just take it slow and easy for awhile and stay off the interstate until you feel comfrontable on it. Just take it easy it will come. Its a whole new exciting world.