Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Adventure in wrapping exhaust pipes!

First off let me say it's a huge improvement in sound (quietness of engine) as well as heat. Not sure yet if it's the answer or not but after a lengthy ride I notice way less heat coming out of the cracks by the seat. Gas cap don't seem as hot either, just warm. I don't know how everybody else wrapped their pipes but I completely removed the complete exhaust system to wrap the head pipes from one end to the other. Getting the long front pipe out is a chore! Here's a clue if your thinking about doing this... get 2" wide wrap and it may just be me but the DEI titainium stuff is crap! I started using it first and that stuff like to pull apart if you tugging hard to wrap it tight. Went back to local speed shop and they said get the Thermo-tec "copper" and be done with it. BTW safety wire is the absolute best way to secure it plus you don't have to buy those expensive stainless ties. As of now I pleased with the results and i'm going to see what BRP thinks of this and if it will affect the warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 10-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

I only wrapped the left side on the spyder and noticed an improvement right away. Yours must be a great improvement having done them both....congrats
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nice job!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Approximately how long do you think this took total?

Spyder Garage

Default Can the solution to the heat problem be this simple?

This looks great, how long did it take you and did you have to get gaskets ahead of time when you reinstalled?
    How much is the thermal tape?
    What was the outdoor temperature like there today?
    Where i live we have a month over 100 degrees every summer if it takes part of the heat away i would do it.
    This looks like it goes to the source of the problem, not the heat damage symptoms like the recall insulation.
    I hope BRP gives your improvement the consideration it deserves.
    Well done, and thank you for your hard work.

Spyder Garage

I really like the looks of this. Thanks for sharing.
    This kind of thread is what SpyderLovers is all about.
    How many feet of wrap did you use?
    Any other tips?

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Spyder Garage

Great job!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    First off let me say it's a huge improvement in sound (quietness of engine) as well as heat. Not sure yet if it's the answer or not but after a lengthy ride I notice way less heat coming out of the cracks by the seat. Gas cap don't seem as hot either, just warm. I don't know how everybody else wrapped their pipes but I completely removed the complete exhaust system to wrap the head pipes from one end to the other. Getting the long front pipe out is a chore! Here's a clue if your thinking about doing this... get 2" wide wrap and it may just be me but the DEI titainium stuff is crap! I started using it first and that stuff like to pull apart if you tugging hard to wrap it tight. Went back to local speed shop and they said get the Thermo-tec "copper" and be done with it. BTW safety wire is the absolute best way to secure it plus you don't have to buy those expensive stainless ties. As of now I pleased with the results and i'm going to see what BRP thinks of this and if it will affect the warranty.
    looks interesting. How dose this hold up for rain/snow?

Spyder Garage

Very nicely done!

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+1 on the Thermo-Tec copper wrap. Wrapped both sides of mine in place at the beginning of the summer and rode in 118 degree temps in Phoenix with no heat issues. No boiling gas, no hot seat, engine temp never exceeded 5 bars. That compared to the previous year riding in 113 and I hit 6 bars several times, through a limp mode and had a flat out miserable experience, not knowing if I was going to make it back home. To top off the deeper and quitter sounding engine, I've been getting no less than 30 and up to 34 mpg since the wrapping and last year I couldn't do better than 26.

There was a debate on this forum with some insisting there was no benefit to wrapping, but others keep reporting positive results. It may vary well be the materials used too, but I have nothing but positive to report with the copper wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 10-19-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    +1 on the Thermo-Tec copper wrap. Wrapped both sides of mine in place at the beginning of the summer and rode in 118 degree temps in Phoenix with no heat issues. No boiling gas, no hot seat, engine temp never exceeded 5 bars. That compared to the previous year riding in 113 and I hit 6 bars several times, through a limp mode and had a flat out miserable experience, not knowing if I was going to make it back home. To top off the deeper and quitter sounding engine, I've been getting no less than 30 and up to 34 mpg since the wrapping and last year I couldn't do better than 26.

There was a debate on this forum with some insisting there was no benefit to wrapping, but others keep reporting positive results. It may vary well be the materials used too, but I have nothing but positive to report with the copper wrap.

thanks for for the first hand input!

Spyder Garage

I would say that the total time to do this job was about 6 to 8 hours but I had a rainy day and did not want to rush anything. I don't have a service manual and it did take some time to figure out how to remove some things. There is also 1 nut on each pipe that is a real pain to get off and getting the rubber hanger off of the cat looked like it was going to be hell but it turns out you just reach around from the right rear side through the swingarm and unhook it. Plus the front of the cat has 2 pegs going into rubber grommets, don't try to pull the cat out of those grommets... just unbolt the grommet bracket and remove it with the cat. After looking it all over closely i'm sure the cat is not the source of our heat problem, it could be a source of heat soak when your done riding but not while your moving, there is just too much of it down in the airstream under the bike. Since my bike is new with less than 1000 mile I did not replace any gaskets, none tore or were damaged during removal. I also discovered an oil leak at the right side oil hose "banjo" bolt for the clutch cover, bolt was not tight and all covered with oil. Found that the left side protection screen for the oil cooler was gouging into a wiring harness at the frame! That would have caused serious problems in the future!! As I stated originally one 50' roll of 2" wrap will do the job, don't try it with 1" I started with the 1" Titanium wrap and it was a PITA and would not be enough. The Thermo-tec "copper" was $48.00 for the 50' roll and it's rated for 2000 degrees.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 10-20-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Can you wrap the exhausts while leaving them in place.
    I'm very interested in the wrap, but I'd rather not remove the exhaust pipes, even if it takes more time and material.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks 3 Wheel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm very interested in the wrap, but I'd rather not remove the exhaust pipes, even if it takes more time and material.
    I suppose you could but it would be hard to get the whole pipe wrapped up as some of it is hardly accessible at all. That's why I went through the hassle of removing them, to get them wrapped completely, end to end.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Not sure what changed for the 13's, but removing the pipes on the 10 - 12 RT was a monster, so I wrapped in place. It took me way too long to figure out how to get to the very end of the pipe the first time, so I gave up. It was well above 110 in Phoenix when I tried it and blew a couple of "fuses" in the process and gave up. I came back to it when the temps were much cooler and my cooler head helped me see what needed to be done.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...apping-round-2

It took about 6 hours after I figured out how to get both hands where they needed to be. I think I remember reading the belly pans and front grills (in front of the radiator and oil cooler) come off as one unit. It that's the case, the 13's will be way easier to wrap in place, or remove the headers.

A few have reported wrapping from the oxygen sensor back or wrapping in two pieces, to make things easier. I didn't want to leave the entire front of the pipe exposed, so I managed to wrap all the way to the block.

Another side benefit I failed to mention...I can use my glove box now, even without the insulating Styrofoam block there from the factory.I didn't insulate any of the panels or tupperware. I have not removed the airbox or canister. Everything I've reported has been based on wrapping the pipes only. Doing the other two would seem like a major bonus for air circulation.
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 10-20-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post

Why would the mpg improve because the pipe is wrapped? This is an area I have no knowledge about.

Another silly question, why hasn't BRP wrapped the pipes, at least, at the factory? Hasn't there been enough heat related issues? Would the blanket be easier to work with than the wrap? Again, I don't have much knowledge about what goes on under the plastic as I'm sure most of us here.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Why would the mpg improve because the pipe is wrapped? This is an area I have no knowledge about.
    This one I can answer WRT the spyder. The unwrapped exhaust is heating the fuel tank causing the vapors being complained about. This vapor is gasoline being boiled away rather than burned in the engine. Its a significant loss. I can see the difference in fuel economy in cool vs hot day riding directly related to the intensity of the gas vapors.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post

Another silly question, why hasn't BRP wrapped the pipes, at least, at the factory? Hasn't there been enough heat related issues? Would the blanket be easier to work with than the wrap? Again, I don't have much knowledge about what goes on under the plastic as I'm sure most of us here.
    Pipe wrapping has been used in racing for decades to improve performance. The gasses start to cool immediately as they travel through the pipe and wrapping them slows the cooling, which helps with evacuation. Better evacuation = better performance = better mileage. On the Spyder, the air box sits directly above and to the side of the front cylinders pipe, so intake temp a also increases. Cooler intake = better performance = better mileage.

As to why BRP wouldn't wrap the pipes at the factory, considering all of the complaints? Good question. Maybe the Canadians will complain they are too cold....they are offering a heated seat for the 14s and those pipes run under the bike, so who knows!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This one I can answer WRT the spyder. The unwrapped exhaust is heating the fuel tank causing the vapors being complained about. This vapor is gasoline being boiled away rather than burned in the engine. Its a significant loss. I can see the difference in fuel economy in cool vs hot day riding directly related to the intensity of the gas vapors.
    I don't know if it's actually being boiled away. The system is pressurized, which is why the vapors can burn when the cap is loosened and the pressure releases, but cool fuels burns more efficiently than hot, so it definitely helps.

Spyder Garage

Just asked my dealer today if they saw any issue w future warranty if I wrapped my pipes. They said no problem at all, but sometimes there are issues w moisture using wraps, although the factory pipe is SS. I told him about less moisture problems w the copper infused wraps and understood that I take responsibility for any issue w the pipes themselves if they develop an issue.

So I'll probably be doing this soon.

Though I haven't had any "extreme" heat issues, I'm liking what I hear about wrapping the pipes making the bike quieter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Just asked my dealer today if they saw any issue w future warranty if I wrapped my pipes. They said no problem at all, but sometimes there are issues w moisture using wraps, although the factory pipe is SS. I told him about less moisture problems w the copper infused wraps and understood that I take responsibility for any issue w the pipes themselves if they develop an issue.

Though I haven't had any "extreme" heat issues, I'm liking what I hear about wrapping the pipes making the bike quieter.
    You have no idea how much quieter the bike is, it's incredible! Not Goldwing quiet but damn close... If I didn't do it for the heat id be doing it for the sound. Takes the "tingyness" out of it. (if that's even a word?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    You have no idea how much quieter the bike is, it's incredible! Not Goldwing quiet but damn close... If I didn't do it for the heat id be doing it for the sound. Takes the "tingyness" out of it. (if that's even a word?)
    I always called it "clacky", but either way, it's an accurate description.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

Has anyone used the Thermo-tec "Hi-Heat Coating" spray on the wrap? Seems like that could seal it in and give even more protection....

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-120...2+heat+coating
    Last edited by cjackg; 10-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Has anyone used the Thermo-tec "Hi-Heat Coating" spray on the wrap? Seems like that could seal it in and give even more protection....

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-120...2+heat+coating
    That's mainly to protect the wrap against moisture. Some absolutely need it, some wraps can go without depending on the material. If the pipes are wrapped in place, it's going to be near impossible to spray them. According to Thermo-Tec support, the copper wrap can go without, but they still recommend it to make the wrap last longer. The copper injection does tend to flow out through the fabric, but with time, the wrapping will likely oxidize as any copper surface would. The spray keeps it from oxidizing more than anything. As for the other brands, their reasons for the spray will vary.