Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New 2013 RT Battery Tender question

I've been reading some threads on here and i have a question as to how to hook up a battery tender on my New (2 weeks) old RT. i have the 12Volt in the trunk that is live when it's switched on by the key an I just had a 12Volt installed in the panel below the steering column that is run straight to the battery. down here in Georgia i have plenty of riding weather left however when i quit riding for a while can i use a battery tender with the 12volt adaptor to keep it charged? and if so wich outlet should be used? i've see different options but not sure i should have to run pigtails to the battery with the outlets i have installed already.. thanks for any suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Default Read your manual...

it'll tell you how to change it. It's very simple!

Just like Roger said, you can change the trunk outlet to be hot all the time. Then, you can buy a $6.00 part that plugs into the outlet and the other end plugs in the tender. Good luck.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The battery tender should be used with a non switched outlet.
    If yours is a 2013 model you can set whether or not your accessory outlets are key switched or always live by the placement of fuse 6 or 7 in accordance with the following chart
    Is this true for all models in 2013? OR just RT's...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    it'll tell you how to change it. It's very simple!

Just like Roger said, you can change the trunk outlet to be hot all the time. Then, you can buy a $6.00 part that plugs into the outlet and the other end plugs in the tender. Good luck.
    i did install a 12volt outlet in the front that is run to the battery and hot all the time so can i just plug a tender into that port with the part or accessory your talking about and that will work?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    i did install a 12volt outlet in the front that is run to the battery and hot all the time so can i just plug a tender into that port with the part or accessory your talking about and that will work?
    That's basically what I did and have, and that's where you can put your battery tender hook up. They have a cigarette lighter style connector (they meaning battery tender) that you can use.

Chris PS: If you use your spyder on a regular basis, you won't need a battery tender. IMO

Spyder Garage

Default another option...

You can also take the short two wire pigtail from the battery tender and connect it to the positive and negative posts that are under the top left black panel just below the windshield. I did this, and left the plug running outside of the left panel just enough to connect it with the battery tender lead. You could also drop the pigtail into the Frunk, but you'll have to open it every time to connect the B-T lead. See your owner's manual (page 135) to locate the terminals if you haven't done so. That connection is always hot.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    You can also take the short two wire pigtail from the battery tender and connect it to the positive and negative posts that are under the top left black panel just below the windshield. I did this, and left the plug running outside of the left panel just enough to connect it with the battery tender lead. You could also drop the pigtail into the Frunk, but you'll have to open it every time to connect the B-T lead. See your owner's manual (page 135) to locate the terminals if you haven't done so. That connection is always hot.

Thanks mountain man, am looking for the easiest way to use a battery tender since i've never used one before and using the live 12volt i have wired seems to be the easiest way. i just wanted to confirm it before i did it. years in the military unfortunately didn't give me the necessary skills to work on small things like this....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Thanks mountain man, am looking for the easiest way to use a battery tender since i've never used one before and using the live 12volt i have wired seems to be the easiest way. i just wanted to confirm it before i did it. years in the military unfortunately didn't give me the necessary skills to work on small things like this....
    You're welcome. Good luck and ride safely.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5