Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Was going to purchase a ST Limited

To me the st limited is a great looking machine. Had my heart set on getting one. After researching, its one problem after another. Can Am have made changes on the 2014 models. I really doubt they have fixed all the problems. Time will tell. I think I'm going to back away and forget making the purchase. Good luck to those of you going through this experience. With heat problems and what I have read about can ams customer service, I don't want any part of dealing with these issues.

Spyder Garage

Sorry you feel that way . I guess it's time for you to move along !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I'm all for making an informed purchase (especially at this price point). My ST-S has had 0 issues. Remember, that people will take the time out to complain more so than post the positives.. Just my $.02..

Good luck with whatever you find!
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

I guess you are movin on down the road....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmemakeit View Post
    To me the st limited is a great looking machine. Had my heart set on getting one. After researching, its one problem after another. Can Am have made changes on the 2014 models. I really doubt they have fixed all the problems. Time will tell. I think I'm going to back away and forget making the purchase. Good luck to those of you going through this experience. With heat problems and what I have read about can ams customer service, I don't want any part of dealing with these issues.
    Thanks for your insight. Sounds like you need to join another forum and no bother posting here anymore.

We've had ZERO problems with our RT limited and our 2013 ST-S. Both are excellent rydes and have served us well.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Too bad

I Love my ST-S issues or not I'm happy I can ride again, they will fix the issues, and we can ride happy ever-after....

Spyder Garage

You gotta do what you gotta do. The is not for everyone--but--there are lots of other rides around.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-20-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Sorry you feel that way . I guess it's time for you to move along !

Ill be the one to decide when its time to move on buddy. Will still check in to see how the 2014 models perform. Just because I dont own a syder doesnt mean I wont be visiting sites to keep up with the times. By the way seems every forum has a smart @$$ like you to make stupid comments. In the future keep your comments to yourself that would be directed towards me. I know a couple of spyder owners that are very disappointed with there purchase. Im sure there are more in the same boat. Well its beer thirty. You folks have a great weekend.

Spyder Garage

Default My Two Cents

HELPMEMAKEIT,
    Kudos to you for doing "some" research before making your purchase. This is something everyone strives to accomplish. But to make such a bold statement such as yours, is totally unfounded. Having never owned a SPYDER, I would think that you are in no position to make such an assumption. There are plenty on this forum that will defend their ST 'til their dying days (so to speak). If you were to stick around and actually gain some "informed" knowledge from those that are in the know, you would find that your assumptions may have been made in haste. Be that as it may, it appears that you have already made your decision. Unfortunate for you, in my opinion. At any rate, we wish you well in your travels and hope that you find what you are looking for. But before you do, make sure you research the "whole" situation. Don't short-sale yourself. Peace be with you in your quest. Good day, sir!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever you do; I wish you the best of luck!
    Hope to see you on the highways!
    ...And they'll get it worked out... They just might have needed an extra year to do it; that's all...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

you came to this decision. You clearly don't understand this forum. We are here to help those with problems and share information diy's and laugh a bit. Those with no problems are many more than those with problems so don't need our help. They are here but also don't post that much. I for one don't have any problems and never have and occationally post to that effect but feel bad for those that do. Do wish you all the best in your search and hope you find what your looking for. Whatever you find go to their forum although you may find the same thing just with stronger language...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Other than the defective kill switch that was replaced today...everything is now working perfectly.
    Temperature never rose above 5 bars even in slow going rush hour traffic. Usually stays at 4 bars.

Am waiting to receive the Bajaron sway bar and meantime added Clear Lower Wind Deflectors (BRP #219400482).

photo.JPG12.jpg

Spyder Garage

Do the new air deflectors work well for you Benggolf?

Was thinking about getting them but then I'm also pretty sure they will not work with the new panels from BRP, unfortunately.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Please don't let the defensive replies offend you. People are passionate about their Spyders. Keep in mind that the Internet greatly magnifies problems. The incidence and severity of difficulties shows up as a much larger thing than it really is. I'd paraphrase an old saying, 20% of the owners get 80% of the ink. Yes, there are problems with some of the 2013's, there is no doubt about it. The prevalence of those problems is nowhere as extensive as it seems, but that is no reason to ignore their presence. Some of the problems have been serious. It is wise to be cautious. Only you can gauge the amount of risk you are willing to tolerate. From your comments I think you have made a wise decision to step back a bit, and see how things work out, keeping in mind that if there is even just a tiny chance of a problem, or an unhappy customer, it will show up here. Don't let the mere presence sway you, look at the numbers, the response, and if it is a dealer issue or a Spyder issue. Remember that satisfied customers seldom say so. And most of all, don't let the boo-birds chase you away. If you really want a Spyder, this is the place to see how they are doing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Please don't let the defensive replies offend you. People are passionate about their Spyders. Keep in mind that the Internet greatly magnifies problems. The incidence and severity of difficulties shows up as a much larger thing than it really is. I'd paraphrase an old saying, 20% of the owners get 80% of the ink. Yes, there are problems with some of the 2013's, there is no doubt about it. The prevalence of those problems is nowhere as extensive as it seems, but that is no reason to ignore their presence. Some of the problems have been serious. It is wise to be cautious. Only you can gauge the amount of risk you are willing to tolerate. From your comments I think you have made a wise decision to step back a bit, and see how things work out, keeping in mind that if there is even just a tiny chance of a problem, or an unhappy customer, it will show up here. Don't let the mere presence sway you, look at the numbers, the response, and if it is a dealer issue or a Spyder issue. Remember that satisfied customers seldom say so. And most of all, don't let the boo-birds chase you away. If you really want a Spyder, this is the place to see how they are doing.

what he said.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Ill be the one to decide when its time to move on buddy. Will still check in to see how the 2014 models perform. Just because I dont own a syder doesnt mean I wont be visiting sites to keep up with the times. By the way seems every forum has a smart @$$ like you to make stupid comments. In the future keep your comments to yourself that would be directed towards me. I know a couple of spyder owners that are very disappointed with there purchase. Im sure there are more in the same boat. Well its beer thirty. You folks have a great weekend.
    Honestly if I had joined this forum before I purchased my STS I might have not purchased either. There is a lot of negative crap here. Since I didn't join here first I went with my impulse and purchased it as a "Mile Stone" birthday gift to myself and I love the thing. Other than a cosmetic issue it's been great and yes it has some quirks or idiosyncrasies but I still look forward to getting on it and ride every chance I get. I got a good one too it appears and I'm sure there are a lot more good ones than bad, but it's a big expenditure and I understand your decision. Hopefully you can understand our passion some day. And I'm very glad I joined this forum because there are a lot of friendly, passionate, imformative and helpful folks here and I'm happy to be a part of it.
    Last edited by golfsferr; 10-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I heard a saying once:
    "You'll initially like somebody because of their strengths; you'll grow to love them because of their weaknesses and vulnerabilities..."
    I suppose that we feel that way about our bikes too!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down I notice this is how it be on this forum .

The consensus is make sure you say nothing negative or people get crazy , after all this is a forum . For the good , bad and the ugly .

If you did yur home work then you have made a wise decision . I have my share of problems and have a love hate relationship with my sts . I love to ride when all is well hate that I have been having too many issues. Especially in the first month of purchase. I think it's way too much money for too many issues . But I have to admit the bike is much fun to ride .

The forum did its job hope fully you research all sides. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Love it

I own a 2013 ST Limited and it is the most fun ride I have ever had. I have owned just about everything. Harley's, dirt bikes, jet skis, snowmobiles, boats. Ect..... The Spyder is by far the the one I can't wait to get on the most! I will just go out and look at it sometimes!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    The consensus is make sure you say nothing negative or people get crazy , after all this is a forum . For the good , bad and the ugly .
    Product-based forums can have that effect on folks...

Go to a Harley forum, and mention that the whole "Rushmore" thing is just a huge waste of time and money... Then watch the fun start!

Spyder Garage

Default You will be.....

MISSING A LOT OF FUN!! I've got a 2013 rt limited. No problems. Lots of great rides with terrific rides with great people!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Issues

I have owned my ST-S since January. My MC cap melted in June but my dealer was great about fixing it and then shielding it. Other than that problem, it has been a great ride. Over 7300 miles on it now and it's been the most fun ride I have ever had. If you bought a '13 ST Ltd this year, I'm sure you would get a great price. You might want to reconsider.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I have owned my ST-S since January. My MC cap melted in June but my dealer was great about fixing it and then shielding it. Other than that problem, it has been a great ride. Over 7300 miles on it now and it's been the most fun ride I have ever had. If you bought a '13 ST Ltd this year, I'm sure you would get a great price. You might want to reconsider.

Hey. Not so loud.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Love It!

Despite any recall or problems with my windshield not staying up, I still love my 2013 ST-L better than any of the other 6 bikes I've had over the years before her and my only regret is that I didn't wait for the 2014's and get the larger engine, that's all. I ride a lot more often and by myself a lot more than any other motorcycle I've ever owned. So, I say, to each his own...and mine is my '13 ST-L!

Sharon

Spyder Garage

Default Was going to purchase a ST Limited

come back some time and talk and have