Spyder Garage

Default F3 or ST opinions needed

I have test ridden a F3 and an ST Manual and Automatic. Both bikes have pluses and minuses. I am leaning toward a 6 speed manual transmission however I’m hoping some personal experiences from owners might help me make the best decision for myself.

I have owned a few 2 wheelers, one being a HD V-Rod that was not only a comfortable day rider but the performance was off the hook. At this time I own a 2011 Kawasaki Voyager trike (converted by Calif Side Car in 2013. This has been a costly mistake.

When the F3 came out I sat on one. I found the forward peg position right at home and the lower to the ground seat position much more to my liking. I would have liked to have been able to tow a trailer, however the response from BRP when inquiring about towing was they are not going to offer a trailer hitch and no you cannot tow a trailer.

The ST has a bunch of things I won’t ever use; 2 up riding, a radio that I currently don’t use on my trike now. An adjustable shield…may be of use but I have been riding with a fixed shield and never considered something adjustable being a plus. It does have a lot more storage and the ability to tow a trailer is a plus. As well one sits higher on the bike which I don’t particularly care for. I do like the cruise control and the ability to obtain heated grips.
    The F3 feels and acts like my V-Rod but lacks the storage of an ST. A few companies are coming out with after - market bags so concerns about additional storage may be mute.

I rode the F3 without a shield and nearly got blown off the bike on the freeway during a test ride. My helmet could be some of the cause as I use a Bell Mag 9 which by its design may have been exacerbating the issue. Maybe someone can comment on shields here. I don’t want a bunch of air on me but I don’t want to feel like I am riding in a car either.

I can put a Tee Bag on the back of the F3 but I have photography equipment I would like to take along but would be quite limited on what I can take. There is too much gear plain and simple to try to cram on this model.

Most of my rides will 1 to 3 day jaunts but if I want to go out for a few weeks or a month am I going to regret the decision to go with an F3.

Spyder Garage

Based on what you described concerning non-use items and your overall feeling about the ST, I am thinking the F3 may be a better choice for you.

You can accessorize the F3 to suit your every need/desire. The F3 also has the 1330 three cylinder engine--which for some--is a big difference compared to the tried and true 998 twin cylinder. I am also in that camp. I have both engine configurations on my 's and really prefer my 2014 with the 1330.

I will save some comments for others who will chime in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

I'm sensing the F3 is more to your liking. Windshields are available I think Lamont is working on a trailer hitch (have not heard anything about not being able to tow a trailer, this will not set well with all that have purchased them). All the other models tow...corbin has some large capasity hard bags in production. I'm not seeing your not being able to set the F3 up to your liking... all the other stuff is available as well...cruise, heated grips seats etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I can only tell you that I love my 2013 ST Limited but the people that I know that have F3's love them. If you really want a trailer maybe the ST is the way to go?
    uploadfromtaptalk1439266719233.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default agree

Quote Originally Posted by lousd1 View Post
    I can only tell you that I love my 2013 ST Limited but the people that I know that have F3's love them. If you really want a trailer maybe the ST is the way to go?
    uploadfromtaptalk1439266719233.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Also 100% solo ryder ,had a V-Rod fyi 2to last bike b4 spyder. Never had a windshield till my STL ,LOVE IT! & storage has made for good long trips, just over a year old & 22k miles. 998 high RPM was unconfortable & takes getting use to. Floor boards on the limited are great to adjust position, not as diverse as the U-fit on F3 ,but no tools needed. My ST is quiet compared to F3 if that means anything to you. I did a test ride on F3 to only find out how much I love my ST. Get whatever lets you see more.
    Weather radio has been handy, I use ipod most time
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default st, f3 and towing

I have an ST and love it; my husband has an F3 and loves it.
    Both have givi bags.
    The ST tows our little camper.
    Rumour is that the 2016 F3 MAY be "permitted by BRP" to tow a trailer .... ie Lamonster's hitch or similar may be sold by Brp.
    In our view the F3 is far more capable of towing (engine revs, mileage range) than my ST.

I agree with other comments - sounds like you're leaning toward the F3 - luggage can be added for your occasional gear.

The only other idea may be to wait until the Sept 21 announcement of the 2016 range ...

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

I should add tha im 6'3" & have windshield all way up & still ride looking over it. So its there for bugs & stickers not me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For me the F3 is the way to go. Better motor,better transmission,U-Fit system to make it comfortable for you. The extra money is well worth it.
    I like the seating and riding position better on the F3 than the ST. The biggest reason for the F3 is the new motor and transmission,

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    For me the F3 is the way to go. Better motor,better transmission,U-Fit system to make it comfortable for you. The extra money is well worth it.
    I like the seating and riding position better on the F3 than the ST. The biggest reason for the F3 is the new motor and transmission,
    I think I should have put my post in the RT section or the F3 section, I got confused with the RT and ST. Thanks for the reply. I will re-post in the F3 side.