Spyder Garage

Default fan can question

Will a fan can for an 2010 rt fit an 2009 gs? Thx in advance for any info.
    09 GS SE5

20130727_151339 by Kebie05, on Flickr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any reason why? Just curious because the hot fan/radiator air is pretty easy to divert on the RS/GS without blocking the back of the radiator with the "can".
    Are you currently running any heat mods?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Any reason why? Just curious because the hot fan/radiator air is pretty easy to divert on the RS/GS without blocking the back of the radiator with the "can".
    Are you currently running any heat mods?
    I removed my splash pan and half cone that directs it out the side. What easy way is there without a fan can.?
    09 GS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pick up either the spyderpops "air management system" extension piece for that cone piece or the OEM cone piece from a 2013. Divert it out that side vent and off your foot. It works great, but you can skip the "E scoop" that comes with it. Your on the right track removing the splash pans.

The fan can IMHO looks like it will restrict more flow when the fan isn't actually running. But I've never had one either so......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Pick up either the spyderpops "air management system" extension piece for that cone piece or the OEM cone piece from a 2013. Divert it out that side vent and off your foot. It works great, but you can skip the "E scoop" that comes with it. Your on the right track removing the splash pans.

The fan can IMHO looks like it will restrict more flow when the fan isn't actually running. But I've never had one either so......
    The heat I was feeling was coming out of the side vent and blowing back on my foot. If I bought a piece to go more directly out the side, wouldn't I have the same results? I need to do something though because I just don't trust running without that splash pan.
    09 GS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure it was heat from the side vent you were feeling? That side vent is pretty far away from your foot and while some warm air might be felt, it certainly shouldn't be "hot". Typically, the heat is felt because that cone piece is to short and when the fan comes on, or during riding, the heat goes around the end of the short cone and directly onto the top of your foot and ankle. Dunno...

As for the splash pans, forget that you even took them off. Don't over think it. The majority of motorcycles and vehicles in general on the road don't have splash pans. IMHO they trap more heat and debris. Your better off leaving them off for ventilation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KEBIE View Post
    The heat I was feeling was coming out of the side vent and blowing back on my foot. If I bought a piece to go more directly out the side, wouldn't I have the same results? I need to do something though because I just don't trust running without that splash pan.
    I have the fan can and its probably one of the best mods I have added. I have highway pegs so all the hot air was blowing out on my right foot with the other mods. Fan can totally solved the problem. Love it
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

I've found someone with one for sale I just gotta find out if the 2010 one will fit my gs.
    09 GS SE5

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've found someone with one for sale I just gotta find out if the 2010 one will fit my gs.
    The RT FanCan will not fit the GS. They are two different part numbers.

Spyder Garage

They make 2 different ones for the 09 GS. They changed the fan in the middle of the 09 production.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you are getting heat by your feet I would check your Y exhaust gaskets & replace. Dose the Bike make pop on decal? when mine went I has excessive heat by my feet & the popping sound.