Spyder Garage

Default titanium heat tape

i was looking around at heat tape for the pipes and i read that titanium heat tape does not hold moisture so no rust can build on the pipes, i found it on e bay and it is not that expensive. i was also looking at cat bypass pipes and found one but it is 400+ is that right?. does anyone have a site for the bypass pipe and would it void warranty on the bike. i have the BEST warranty so i am covered for years and don't want to have to put the cat back in if something happens. any info will be greatly appreciated
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked with John?
    (Jthornton)
    I believe that he's either got one, or is working on it.
    If something were to happen to your bike; just pop it back in place before calling the dealer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The titanium heat wrap is the best wrap to buy for many reasons (heat, moisture, looks and durability). I have it on my Spyder, however I do not see much of a temp decrease. Wrap is designed to hold heat in the pipe for better fuel/gas burn. As for the bypass pipe, yes it will void your warranty if you take it to the dealer with it on. I know a lot of people say "just put the cat back on before you go". Well, what happens when your Spyder breaks down on the road and it has to be towed to the nearest Can-Am dealer, that's right your in trouble.... If it were not for that I would have already had one (and yes they think they are worth $400).....

Spyder Garage

Talking Nope

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    The titanium heat wrap is the best wrap to buy for many reasons (heat, moisture, looks and durability). I have it on my Spyder, however I do not see much of a temp decrease. Wrap is designed to hold heat in the pipe for better fuel/gas burn. As for the bypass pipe, yes it will void your warranty if you take it to the dealer with it on. I know a lot of people say "just put the cat back on before you go". Well, what happens when your Spyder breaks down on the road and it has to be towed to the nearest Can-Am dealer, that's right your in trouble.... If it were not for that I would have already had one (and yes they think they are worth $400).....
    wrong- well maybe each dealer handles it differently, my dealer had NO problem taking off my cat and installing after market muffler aswell , and they have continued servicing my spyder. this is what people do , and they understand that -especially with all the heat problems out there. I got my cat-bypass from spyderattitude1 -not cheap.
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

I have never heard of dealer removing a cat convertor. I know the older Spyders had the cat in the muffler and they would do that. This is one reason that they made the muffler and the cat seperate. You must have a special dealer to help you void your factory warranty. Most if not all dealers will tell you it will void the warranty, not to mention if you live in an area where the Spyder has to pass a smog test (or will in the future) it will fail.

Spyder Garage

Wink warranty

I have never heard of dealer removing a cat convertor. I know the older Spyders had the cat in the muffler and they would do that. This is one reason that they made the muffler and the cat seperate. You must have a special dealer to help you void your factory warranty. Most if not all dealers will tell you it will void the warranty, not to mention if you live in an area where the Spyder has to pass a smog test (or will in the future) it will fail.
    Does not void warranty, my spyder has been at the dealer for 2 weeks doing repairs and all covered by BRP. throttle body replaced and water pump seals and 2 new header seals installed. if your in a state that requires cats- then it's a no brainer but still has nothing to do with warranty! here in TEXAS no cats are required and no noise restrictions. peace....
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Let me rephrase... It may not "void the warranty", but unless you have a flexible dealer they can and possibly will use it against you if anything goes wrong with the engine. It is a mod that is not recommended by BRP and that is all they need to say no to a repair. To everyone that has a good dealer congrats! To those of us who have not so good/flexible dealers ask before you do. Sometimes it's better to ask for permission than ask for forgiveness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    Does not void warranty, my spyder has been at the dealer for 2 weeks doing repairs and all covered by BRP. throttle body replaced and water pump seals and 2 new header seals installed. if your in a state that requires cats- then it's a no brainer but still has nothing to do with warranty! here in TEXAS no cats are required and no noise restrictions. peace....
    http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality...tampering.html

Tampering may include, but is not limited to:

• Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.
    • Adjusting any element of a car or truck's emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer's specifications.
    • Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.
    • Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1A. This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Cool FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

• Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.
    • Adjusting any element of a car or truck's emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer's specifications.
    • Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.
    • Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) anti-tampering enforcement policy is covered under the provisions of Mobile Source Enforcement Memorandum No. 1A. This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected. A certified configuration is an engine or engine-chassis design that has been certified or approved by the EPA to meet certain emission standards prior to the production of vehicles with that specific design. Evidence of federally approved testing must be available upon request.
    with due respect sir, I lived in texas all my life and there has never been any laws passed on motorcycles requiring catalytic converters. this article reflects motor vehicles and does not state anything about motorcycles in particular.
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    with due respect sir, I lived in texas all my life and there has never been any laws passed on motorcycles requiring catalytic converters. this article reflects motor vehicles and does not state anything about motorcycles in particular.
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03045.pdf

In motor vehicles, the catalytic converter is an anti-pollution device that changes toxic byproducts of burning fuel into gases naturally. Some drivers hope that by eradicating the converter you can boost performance whilst others seek to replace converters with parts of normal exhaust pipes in effort of avoiding extra costs. Those actions are against the Texas state law and any violators are charged with up to $25,000 fine.

Highway Motorcycles -- Exhaust Emission Standards
    Year Class Engine Size
    (cc)
    HC
    (g/km)
    HC + NOx
    (g/km)
    CO
    (g/km)
    Useful Lifea Warrantya
    Federal 1978-2005 I 50-169 5.0 - 12.0 5 / 12,000 5 / 12,000
    II 170-279 - 5 / 18,000 5 / 18,000
    III 280+ - 5 / 30,000 5 / 30,000
    2006+ I-Ab < 50 - - - 5 / 6,000 5 / 6,000
    I-Bb 50-169 1.0 1.4c 12.0 5 / 12,000 5 / 12,000
    II 170-279 1.0 1.4c 12.0 5 / 18,000 5 / 18,000
    2006-2009 III
    (Tier 1)
    280+ - 1.4 12.0 5 / 30,000 5 / 30,000
    2010+ III
    (Tier 2)
    280+ - 0.8 12.0 5 / 30,000 5 / 30,000

Notes:
    General applicability: These standards apply to 1978 and later model year, new gasoline-fueled motorcycles built after December 31, 1977, and to 1990 and later model year, new, methanol-fueled motorcycles built after December 31, 1989, and to 1997 and later model year, new, natural gas-fueled and liquefied petroleum gas-fueled motorcycles built after December 31, 1996, and to 2006 and later model year new motorcycles regardless of fuel.
    a Useful life and warranty period are expressed in years and kilometers, whichever comes first.
    b Starting with the 2006 model year EPA re-defined Class I to include motorcycles with engines smaller than 50 cubic centimeters. These new previously unregulated vehicles are Class I-A, and the pre-existing Class I became Class I-B.
    c This is an optional standard that allows manufacturers to average their emissions or transfer emission credits across classes.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/standards/li...otorcycles.htm

In the long and dry read which is the EPA's Control of Emissions From Highway Motorcycles, the most misunderstood and eyebrow-raising passages regard special exceptions for "Custom Motorcycles" and "Motorcycle Kits." The latter of these aroused the most confusion and ire because bike owners would be limited to only one Kit Bike in their lifetime. This provision led to much speculation and rumor that riders could only own one custom bike in their lifetime.
    The 2004 EPA rules specify that riders can own a bike, built from parts by themselves or others, which is exempt from EPA emissions requirements. What defines the machine a Kit Bike, is that the owner can legally ride the non-emissions-compliant machine as much as they want. The catch, of course, being every rider is entitled to just the one Kit Bike in their lifetime.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...on-2010-a.html
    Last edited by Magdave; 10-16-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

It appears that the Texas regulations apply to cars and trucks but not motorcycles.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If my Spyder was off warranty I would take the converter off.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Rust is pretty unusual on stainless steel pipes. discoloration, maybe, but not rust. Buy whatever product you think is best, but the possibility of rust is not a valid consideration in this case.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Rust is pretty unusual on stainless steel pipes. discoloration, maybe, but not rust. Buy whatever product you think is best, but the possibility of rust is not a valid consideration in this case.

Agreed, good quality pipes are not going to be significantly effected by wrapping. Those pics and stories you hear about pipes rotting out from being wrapped are typically due to crap pipes. The BRP pipes are pretty nice from what I've seen and held in my hand.
    I do question the effectiveness of pipe wrapping on the spyder though...but that's just me.

Also, you all worry WAY to much about voiding warranties....Ride more, worry less...

Spyder Garage

Default My experience with the Cat Bypass

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i was looking around at heat tape for the pipes and i read that titanium heat tape does not hold moisture so no rust can build on the pipes, i found it on e bay and it is not that expensive. i was also looking at cat bypass pipes and found one but it is 400+ is that right ?. does anyone have a site for the bypass pipe and would it void warranty on the bike. i have the BEST warranty so i am covered for years and don't want to have to put the cat back in if something happens. any info will be greatly appreciated
    This was my experience with the Cat Bypass that I installed a couple of days ago and this is the email I sent to the manufacturer Spyder Attitudes.
    I purchased cat bypass for a 2013 Spyder RT Ltd a couple of wk ago.
    and it looks like an amateur had made it.
    The tubing that you used was about .06 larger than the stock ,so the dia was about .02 larger than the id of the
    muffler. Being that I am a machinist I decided to make it fit rather than send it back and wait a couple of wks. since I
    already had it torn down. I hand ground the tube and the muffler until it fit.
    Also the flange at the muffler was only tacked and not very good at that so I rewelded it.
    The two 3/8” hanger bars were mislocated by about 1/2” side to side and about 1/4” up and down,so I cut them off and
    welded in place after final mounting.
    I spent about an extra 6 hr reworking and making it fit.

Very poor quality and quality control

Larry
    Last edited by Omcge; 10-19-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

It may not "void the warranty", but unless you have a flexible dealer they can and possibly will use it against you if anything goes wrong with the engine. It is a mod that is not recommended by BRP and that is all they need to say no to a repair.
    I agree.
    It may be up to the dealers discretion and or a warranty rep. if sent out for an inspection.

I took my '11 FLHTK in to the dealer recently for engine running issues.The cat was removed along time ago.
    The ESP service contract covered a new ECM,wiring connector repair and about 12 hrs. of trouble shooting.

I was worried about the modified exhaust voiding the warranty but was not a problem.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default void

i would think if your dealer would want to keep your business and his reputation with the people that you know did or might buy bikes from him that he would look the other way on it, but as someone said the other day, if your away and end up at another dealer with a problem would they do the same
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

John read my post on wrapping the pipes... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-exhaust-pipes!

Spyder Garage

Default pipes

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    John read my post on wrapping the pipes... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-exhaust-pipes!
    looks like a winter job. how long did it take you
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

looks like a winter job. how long did it take you
    6 to 8 hours with no service manual but I learned a lot about taking the bike apart and found 2 other potential problems. Found a oil leak at a banjo bolt for the right side clutch cover and found the oil cooler protection screen gouging into the wiring harness at the upper frame.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post
    This was my experience with the Cat Bypass that I installed a couple of days ago and this is the email I sent to the manufacturer Spyder Attitudes.
    The tubing that you used was about .06 larger than the stock ,so the dia was about .02 larger than the id of the
    muffler. Being that I am a machinist I decided to make it fit rather than send it back and wait a couple of wks. since I
    Also the flange at the muffler was only tacked and not very good at that so I rewelded it.
    The two 3/8” hanger bars were mislocated by about 1/2” side to side and about 1/4” up and down,so I cut them off and

Larry
    Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Omcge View Post

Larry
    This is very unfortunate. I was planning to purchase and install this bypass unit. I have no welding capabilities so cannot do the rework you did. For the price, it should fit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    This is very unfortunate. I was planning to purchase and install this bypass unit. I have no welding capabilities so cannot do the rework you did. For the price, it should fit.
    JC, Mine fit just fine. If you are still interested, I'd call Karsten and talk to him. He is a nice guy and very helpful.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

i was looking around at heat tape for the pipes and i read that titanium heat tape does not hold moisture so no rust can build on the pipes, i found it on e bay and it is not that expensive. i was also looking at cat bypass pipes and found one but it is 400+ is that right?. does anyone have a site for the bypass pipe and would it void warranty on the bike. i have the BEST warranty so i am covered for years and don't want to have to put the cat back in if something happens. any info will be greatly appreciated
    The Titanium heat tape I have on my 2011 RS-S SE5 for over 2 yrs. and it looks like new. It works better than all the other header tapes I used in the past and easer to install. I used one 2 inch X 50 ft. roll and I have a little left over. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Have you checked with John?
    (Jthornton)
    I believe that he's either got one, or is working on it.
    If something were to happen to your bike; just pop it back in place before calling the dealer!
    I'm still working on it, from what I've heard the one on the market now has alignment issues. I'm building a jig to guarantee perfect alignment every time... work seems to be getting in the way lately.

JT