Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruze vs. Spyder

Every fill-up of both vehicles....added the Chevy Cruze March 5, 2012, not sure why it says added Sept 2012

Last edited by Knarfoh; 07-09-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Knarfoh

I think calling debobstoy "dumb" was uncalled for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest Figures Ending September 20, 2014

Last 20 fill-ups. I notice it says above I average 1 fill-up a week. This is Ohio so from late October to early March (4 months) I do not ride at all. I am not a cold-weather rider or foul weather rider. Usually in March, it is hit and miss.

Spyder Garage

I had a "mind blower" when I filled my 1330 the last time.

212.3 miles and 4.59 gallons to fill. (46.25 mpg). Yes, I am very careful to fill to the same level each time.

I am guessing this is a one time thing because I have been averaging 40-41 on most tanks. I will take the 46 and run though--while it lasts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I had a "mind blower" when I filled my 1330 the last time.

212.3 miles and 4.59 gallons to fill. (46.25 mpg). Yes, I am very careful to fill to the same level each time.

I am guessing this is a one time thing because I have been averaging 40-41 on most tanks. I will take the 46 and run though--while it lasts.
    Your post is off-subject. This is about 2012, but still nice numbers to know!

Yes, I take great care in filling my tank also, but look at the numbers. Sorry, have no explanation why a fill-up results in such variations in numbers. Only way to tell true mileage is to track constantly - over a long period of time - and all that will tell you is what you (as an individual) get. How we shift - drive - rate of speed - grade of gas - terrain - etc. will affect our mileage (and each of us is different). But it should be in the ball park over a period of time.

When you track every gallon purchased and every mile traveled, those variations in fill-ups go away because at that point you are tracking actual gallons purchased and dividing it into actual miles traveled for every single mile of traveled distance.

Even you acknowledged "while it lasts" which makes me believe you expect your results to return to your normal expectation. All of us can report at least one "magical" fill-up (including mine where I got 40+). All my magical fill-ups are usually followed by a "less then magical" fill-up. LOL. This means the first fill-up was not "full". I have no idea how that can be (air pocket?) but it happens. The Spyder tanks are notoriously difficult to fill. I have to make sure I don't pump gas into the tank at full throttle and I go very slowly.

As someone wisely pointed out sometime ago - we didn't buy our Spyders for the gas mileage, we bought them because they were fun!

Over the lifetime of my Spyder (so far), I am reporting 31.1 miles to gallon. I see others reporting they have difficulty achieving anywhere near 30 and many around 28. So what gives?

My periodic reporting of gas mileage is for amusement purposes only and not intended to serve any other purpose.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 09-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Your post is off-subject. This is about 2012, but still nice numbers to know!

Yes, I take great care in filling my tank also, but look at the numbers. Sorry, have no explanation why a fill-up results in such variations in numbers. Only way to tell true mileage is to track constantly - over a long period of time - and all that will tell you is what you (as an individual) get. How we shift - drive - rate of speed - grade of gas - terrain - etc. will affect our mileage (and each of us is different). But it should be in the ball park over a period of time.

When you track every gallon purchased and every mile traveled, those variations in fill-ups go away because at that point you are tracking actual gallons purchased and dividing it into actual miles traveled for every single mile of traveled distance.

Even you acknowledged "while it lasts" which makes me believe you expect your results to return to your normal expectation. All of us can report at least one "magical" fill-up (including mine where I got 40+). All my magical fill-ups are usually followed by a "less then magical" fill-up. LOL. This means the first fill-up was not "full". I have no idea how that can be (air pocket?) but it happens. The Spyder tanks are notoriously difficult to fill. I have to make sure I don't pump gas into the tank at full throttle and I go very slowly.

As someone wisely pointed out sometime ago - we didn't buy our Spyders for the gas mileage, we bought them because they were fun!

Over the lifetime of my Spyder (so far), I am reporting 31.1 miles to gallon. I see others reporting they have difficulty achieving anywhere near 30 and many around 28. So what gives?

My periodic reporting of gas mileage is for amusement purposes only and not intended to serve any other purpose.
    I also consider the mileage threads/posts for amusement purposes. I do look at each fill up just because. My fill up following the 46 mpg was 41 mpg. For me--back to normal.

My 2011 gets an average of 30-31 most fill ups.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Last Report for this Riding Season - OHIO - 2014

I have tracked every mile traveled, gas fill-up, etc. since I purchased my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5. Unfortunately, it is time to put it away for the rest of this year. Hopefully, in March 2015, I will be on the road again.

Last edited by Knarfoh; 12-29-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

How do you guys get such mileage? Took a trip yesterday in my 2012 RT SE5 and could only get 100 miles in between gas light coming on. It was all freeway miles averaging 80 with cruise control, I was expecting much better mileage. Something doesn't seem right.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Golfingnut300 View Post
    How do you guys get such mileage? Took a trip yesterday in my 2012 RT SE5 and could only get 100 miles in between gas light coming on. It was all freeway miles averaging 80 with cruise control, I was expecting much better mileage. Something doesn't seem right.
    I am with you. I get up to 120 miles and I fill up.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am probably a pretty conservative rider. Generally stick to the speed limits (max in Ohio is 70 m.p.h. with most highways less then that depending on local traffic conditions). No fast starts, etc. I follow the recommendations for shifting (manual shift here).

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedRTCan-AmSpyder View Post
    I am with you. I get up to 120 miles and I fill up.
    My FUEL FILL-UP light normally comes on with around 120 miles shown on the trip odometer. My typical fill-up is around 4 gallons but since this is a 6 gallon tank, I sometimes ignore the light and go to 150 miles on the trip odometer. If you have no real idea what kind of mileage you are getting, I would not drive another 30 after the light comes on if you can avoid it.

As my post says --- I have tracked every fill-up, miles traveled, cost of gas, etc. since I purchased my 2012 Spyder RT-S so you can rely on my findings. I do use 93 octane (if available, if not highest available) but you will get arguments on this website about the mileage effects of buying premium gas and whether it is worth it. You will also get disagreements on shifting patterns to achieve the best mileage.

The ONLY WAY to accurately check your over-all gas mileage is to log it religiously. FUELLY.COM is a website where you can register all of your vehicles and keep a continuous record. You will get reports of unusually high mileage on individual fill-ups in this FORUM, but I don't give those much credence. You don't go from getting 30 mpg to 35 mpg suddenly. I suspect it is an anomaly with how much gas you put in the tank before the pump shut-off. I have had "magical" fill-ups where my apparent gas mileage increased suddenly, but those are always followed by fill-ups where the mileage dips in the other direction. Not sure about your tank on your Spyder, but it is sometimes difficult to fill my tank. I have put anywhere from 3.5 gallons to 4.5 gallons in my tank when it reads empty. On such a small tank, the slight difference makes a HUGE difference in the math when figuring miles per gallon. By tracking every mile and every fill-up, you achieve an accurate report.

I only post my personal results for amusement and entertainment.

Spyder Garage

I use Fuelly (via the GasTracker+ app on my iPhone) for all my vehicles.

Also - 80mph is really fast when considering fuel economy, the Spyder is not aerodynamic at all.

From Wikipedia article on drag:
    The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).

--
    Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I sign up to use fuelly.com. My bike is new with currently 95 miles. I will start annotating my gas mileage on my next fuel up.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

'Nuff said...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My average for 7000 miles on my 13Rt has been between 25 and 26. Wife gets about 1 mpg better. We cruise 75 plus on open roads and are not limp wristed on the back roads. The bikes were purchased for fun.

It interesting to note that for longer trips, its more fuel efficient to load both bikes on a trailer and pull them with my truck than to drive the two of them to the destination. Depends on the destination, route and timing which we do. Truck is faster average and takes less fuel and carries more tools, fuel etc. Bikes are much more fun if the roads are.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    My average for 7000 miles on my 13Rt has been between 25 and 26. Wife gets about 1 mpg better. We cruise 75 plus on open roads and are not limp wristed on the back roads. The bikes were purchased for fun.

It interesting to note that for longer trips, its more fuel efficient to load both bikes on a trailer and pull them with my truck than to drive the two of them to the destination. Depends on the destination, route and timing which we do. Truck is faster average and takes less fuel and carries more tools, fuel etc. Bikes are much more fun if the roads are.
    Haha, 100% this!

We have a Spyder and a Triumph Rocket III. Fuel economy is not clearly a priority for this recreation.

(I do have a PHEV car though, for daily use...)

Although range can be an issue when we are in the boonies...

--
    Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default First fill-up for the new year... This is OHIO speaking... LOL

First fill-up for me in Ohio.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update - This is for Entertainment Purposes Only - Not to Start a War

Spyder Garage

Sort of works out to what I have been saying since day one. I average 31 mpg on all 's with the 998 engine.

2020 F3L , Magma Red