Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT-S SM5 Gas Mileage Chart

Every fill-up for my Spyder since I purchased new. The only way to accurately tell gas mileage is over time. Single fill-ups where mileage can widely fluctuate based upon how carefully you fill the tank may give misleading results. The Spyder gas tank is notorious for being difficult to fill sometimes. The pump clicks off and you think you have a complete fill-up. When my tank reads empty, I have put between 3.5 and 4.5 gallons in a 6+ gallon tank. Look at my chart. My best mileage is usually followed by my worst mileage. That is because the tank did not fill properly.

When someone tells you they got 36 miles on their last trip - sorry - don't believe it. Mileage doesn't fluctuate that much.

Anyway, give this the value you think it deserves. Just a report for your information.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5 Mileage

Those are some great numbers you got going on, knarfoh! Can you explain fillup #69 where you got a whopping 40 mpg?

I'm including the Fuelly URL for my Spyder. I'm having trouble getting even 30 mpg:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/azlife/spyder-rts

It would be great if we could get more SpyderLovers tracking their mileage on www.fuelly.com.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool..!!

I get an average of 33 mpg. I can fill my tank to the same level each time and simply divide miles by gallons. Been doing so long that it is no longer that important. At 14,000 miles the mileage has leveled off. Started low and most deffinetly got better with more mileage..but for those who want to track their mpg's this is a great way to do it or have it done for you..thanks for the link..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Same here, I have checked mine two times and both times it was right at 33.8 mpg. The only thing I hate about mine is the fact that the "low fuel" light comes on waaaay to early. When that light comes on you can only get about 3 1/2 gal back in there?

Spyder Garage

I'm averaging 29.3 and have nearly 18K miles tracked. I think I've missed about 4-6 fill-ups on fuelly since I have over 18K on the spyder.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vondalyn/rt-limited

I've had 2 of those instances where I got over 40mpg. Both times were when I had to fill up with only about 50 miles down or I wouldn't have made it to the next gas station. I suspect if I'd driven another 50 miles on the same tank, the mpg would have dropped to "normal" which is anywhere from 27 to 33mpg.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZLife View Post
    Those are some great numbers you got going on, knarfoh! Can you explain fillup #69 where you got a whopping 40 mpg?
    ????? Easily. The Spyder tank is not that easy to fill. Read other threads and you will see numerous people post about the difficulty of filling the Spyder tank sometimes. Some suggest turning the pump handle a certain way; others suggest filling SLOWLY; etc.

If you look at the fill-up where I got 40, right next to it is one where I got 22.7. In fact, if you look at all of my fill-ups.. any abnormally bad mileage reports are immediately followed by a good mileage report. The pump is turning off for some reason (air bubble? tank needs burped? overly sensitive pump head? who knows?) and so you get 1 reading that is really bad and the next reading is really good.

When someone reports GREAT gas mileage based upon a single fill-up (or even a couple), sorry, they are CRAZY. Doing it in your head won't work either. People report filling up their tank when it is empty and sometimes they are putting in 3.5 gallons and other times they are putting in 4.5 gallons. And they claim they are filling the tank the same way. I know I fill my tank the same way, but look at the differences in gas I put in each time. Being off a gallon and dividing it in your head, you are going to get some screwy numbers.

Sorry -- any of you that claim you know your mileage, but aren't tracking it, are just guessing. It may be an educated guess, but a guess no less. I am not suggesting you track it. I am suggesting your numbers will be suspect if you don't. Tracking is for people who want to know EXACTLY what they are getting in mileage. Over the life of my Spyder, I am getting 30.9 mpg on the average. Every fill-up tracked! All miles tracked!
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 10-22-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish 40 mpg but not a real
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default 31 MPG here

31 MPG here and hope it will stay this way. I doubt it would increase.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I get an average of 33 mpg. I can fill my tank to the same level each time and simply divide miles by gallons. Been doing so long that it is no longer that important. At 14,000 miles the mileage has leveled off. Started low and most deffinetly got better with more mileage..but for those who want to track their mpg's this is a great way to do it or have it done for you..thanks for the link..!!
    Similar results here. also, with the method and rationale. Most rydes and fills give me the usual 30-31 mpg. I always fill mine to the same level each time--if we want to worry about milliliters, I know it would vary a bit. Yesterday, went on an 80 mile ryde on some scenic hilly & curvey roads--speed in the 35 mph range--add in the 20 miles driven at 68 mph on the highway, and I ended up with 34.6 mpg. Filled both machines up at the end of the ryde--just in case its the last one of the season.

I am an accountant by profession--so play the number game almost every fill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage

Nobody said what octane they were using? I'am running 93 octane and get about 30 to 34 avg.. I got 13,050 miles on mine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xmanjr View Post
    Nobody said what octane they were using? I'am running 93 octane and get about 30 to 34 avg.. I got 13,050 miles on mine.
    Good point! 93 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    31 MPG here and hope it will stay this way. I doubt it would increase.
    30.9 MPG. I have noticed that people who meticulously maintain records are around the 31 zone. I have posted this topic before. This was just an update.

Possibility of snow on Thursday in Ohio.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 10-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xmanjr View Post
    Octane: That's another hot button issue that may instigate about another thousand posts or so to the thread.

Me: Purchase 90 octane wherever available. 90 is the highest grade offered here in Alaska. Others are 87 and 89. My 's SEEM to run better on 90 than they do on 87. I have noted NO mileage differences when running the lower octane. No ethanol added here that I know of.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Good point! 93 here.

30.9 MPG. I have noticed that people who meticulously maintain records are around the 31 zone. I have posted this topic before. This was just an update.

I'm meticulous in my mileage record keeping but only getting around 28 or so. How do I get in the 31 zone? I've actually been using 87 octane most of the time as I really don't see a difference between 87, 89, or 91.

Snow, what's that?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good point! 93 here.

I'm meticulous in my mileage record keeping but only getting around 28 or so. How do I get in the 31 zone? I've actually been using 87 octane most of the time as I really don't see a difference between 87, 89, or 91.

Snow, what's that?

Spyder Garage

If you go to the fuelly web site, there are 5 categories for spyders:

RT LTD 11 bikes, avg at 29 mpg
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can...der%20rt%20ltd

RT-S: 54 bikes, avg is around 28 mpg
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can-am/spyder%20rt-s

RS: 20 bikes, avg is 30/33
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can-am/spyder%20rs

Spyder 111 bikes, avg is 30/31
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can-am/spyder%20rs

There s no common graph for the ST LTD category (9 bikes)

So, your MPG is in the normal range for spyders, keep using regular unless you are really pushing the RPMS for best performance (not mpg). over 3,090 miles I'm averaging only 28.7 mpg (but have gotten 33 3 different times).

Jerry

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    If you go to the fuelly web site, there are 5 categories for spyders
    LOL.... I followed your link for the model Spyder I own, i.e. 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, and found the chart from a person debobstoy as one of those listed.

I think debobstoy has had a stroke or something! She routinely puts more then 6 gallons in the tank. You would think she would wonder what that is that is puddling up around her feet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I started out at the very beginning with 87 but later switched to 93 early on based upon comments I read here. I do not recall an appreciable difference in mileage after the switch. I just got a perceived feeling the HUM from the engine was smoother, etc. 93 is always 20 cents a gallon more then 87 so I am basically spending less then $1 for the difference.

One more payment and my Spyder is all mine, so I guess I can afford to spend the money on gas.

By the way, I have a SM-5. Could the type of transmission, plus how we shift be the difference?

Snow, what's that?
    SNOW: soft, white pieces of frozen water that fall to the ground from the sky in cold weather
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 10-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

I stopped tracking my fuel when my wife pointed out our Equinox was better. But I get more smiles on the Spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The point of my original post was to just share actual mileage as experienced by a person who has tracked from the very beginning of their ownership. My Chevrolet Cruze gets better mileage than my Spyder but that does not mean that I want to drive my Cruze more than my Spyder. I purchased my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze two months before I purchased my 2012 Spyder. I now have 9900 miles on my Spyder but less than 5000 on my Cruze. When you take into account that I cannot drive my Spyder three months out of the year because of the weather, you can easily tell which vehicle I prefer.

Spyder Garage

Default She is reporting litres in the gallon row.

In Canada gas is sold by the litre and that is why she has those huge numbers on fills. Canada uses imperial gallons so 5 litres equals a gallon or approx. 4 litres = an American gallon.

LOL.... I followed your link for the model Spyder I own, i.e. 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, and found the chart from a person debobstoy as one of those listed.

I think debobstoy has had a stroke or something! She routinely puts more then 6 gallons in the tank. You would think she would wonder what that is that is puddling up around her feet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT-S SM5 Gas Mileage Chart

Actually I knew that. I assumed that was the mistake she made. Unfortunately she was too dumb to realize she could've chosen liters instead of gallons when she signed up. The website does give you the opportunity to select the correct system of measurements. Wouldn't you think after she saw the results from filling in the information that she might have detected her own error? Because the website compares results from different owners, her mistake throws off the calculations for that class of vehicle for everyone.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Summary of Gas Mileage

I have kept a record of every gas fill-up since the beginning. Except at the very beginning of my ownership, I always use Shell 93 octane.

My mileage if not an estimate or good guess - it is actual mileage based upon fill-ups over 9,600 miles. My Spyder is finicky when I fill it up. When the tank shows empty, it has taken anywhere from 3.5 gallons to 4.5 and fill it up usually. On such a small tank, being off by gallon will dramatically affect the "perceived" mileage you are getting. If you look at my chart, every GREAT fill-up is followed by a DISMAL fill-up. That is because the tank is shutting off the pump at different rates of fill. By keeping track of every ounce of gas in the tank and every mileage reading - you will get a good reflection what you are actually getting from your Spyder.

That said: NONE OF US BOUGHT THE SPYDER TO SKIMP ON GAS OR COMPLAIN ABOUT MILEAGE! This is just an informational post. Give it whatever value you think it merits!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default The common culprit seems to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Who gives a crap about keeping records?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    Some of us do give a crap about keeping records / because that's how you track real mileage vs BS Thx for speaking for all of us tho... ( Kinda)

Single fill-ups where mileage can widely fluctuate based upon how carefully you fill the tank may give misleading results.

Anyway, give this the value you think it deserves. Just a report for your information.

The point of my original post was to just share actual mileage as experienced by a person who has tracked from the very beginning of their ownership. My Chevrolet Cruze gets better mileage than my Spyder but that does not mean that I want to drive my Cruze more than my Spyder. I purchased my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze two months before I purchased my 2012 Spyder. I now have 9900 miles on my Spyder but less than 5000 on my Cruze. When you take into account that I cannot drive my Spyder three months out of the year because of the weather, you can easily tell which vehicle I prefer.

I have kept a record of every gas fill-up since the beginning. Except at the very beginning of my ownership, I always use Shell 93 octane.

My mileage if not an estimate or good guess - it is actual mileage based upon fill-ups over 9,600 miles. My Spyder is finicky when I fill it up. When the tank shows empty, it has taken anywhere from 3.5 gallons to 4.5 and fill it up usually. On such a small tank, being off by gallon will dramatically affect the "perceived" mileage you are getting. If you look at my chart, every GREAT fill-up is followed by a DISMAL fill-up. That is because the tank is shutting off the pump at different rates of fill. By keeping track of every ounce of gas in the tank and every mileage reading - you will get a good reflection what you are actually getting from your Spyder.

That said: NONE OF US BOUGHT THE SPYDER TO SKIMP ON GAS OR COMPLAIN ABOUT MILEAGE! This is just an informational post. Give it whatever value you think it merits!

My link (which I hope everyone read before offering a disparaging comment) is meant to be informational, not to suggest anyone's focus should be on gas mileage.

That said, should you choose to report gas mileage, unless you keep detailed records (I know, very boring!) the reports are suspect since they rely upon intuition; an antedotal experience; a few fill-ups; your most recent fill-up; etc.

My detailed report is actual experience over the life of my 2+ year old Spyder. It is not a guess or based upon some odd variation of mileage. It is every gallon of gas purchased plus actual mileage driven. Over time those odd fill-up even themselves up. The common culprit seems to be: when the gas gauge reads EMPTY on my Spyder I put between 3.5 to 4.5 gallons of gas to fill it back up!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I commend you on the record keeping and knowing what your exact mileage is. Hey, if it is important to you and you enjoy knowing, then that is awesome.

However, I have a question(s).
    I understand tracking every mile and every gallon. But how did you manage to always use Shell 93 octane? Do you travel on your Spyder or stay within your local area?

The reason I ask is, when I ride, I find that when I need fuel, the same brand of gas is never always available. Sometimes it is Shell, sometimes Mobile, or Casey's, or 7-11 etc etc.

Trying to make sure I always used a particular brand/octane would drive me nuts. So, I'm just curious how in the world you managed that?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I commend you on the record keeping and knowing what your exact mileage is. Hey, if it is important to you and you enjoy knowing, then that is awesome.

However, I have a question(s).
    I understand tracking every mile and every gallon. But how did you manage to always use Shell 93 octane? Do you travel on your Spyder or stay within your local area?

The reason I ask is, when I ride, I find that when I need fuel, the same brand of gas is never always available. Sometimes it is Shell, sometimes Mobile, or Casey's, or 7-11 etc etc.

Trying to make sure I always used a particular brand/octane would drive me nuts. So, I'm just curious how in the world you managed that?
    I'm not a long-distance rider nor do I ride in foul weather. 75% of my purchases are local so I go to the same gas station. You are correct, I do not look for the same brand on my travels. But I do look for the highest octane. In many instances that is only 91. But I always buy 93 if it's available. In Ohio that's $.20 more gallon over 87.

I use GasDandy and fuelly.com to keep my records. Everyone makes it sound like it's so hard when it's only jotting down your odometer reading using the gas receipt. Instead of spending time on Facebook I update my gas record.

I certainly understand why gas mileage information is not very meaningful for many people. To be honest, overtime all it proves is that we're getting the same gas mileage roughly.

I never bought my Spyder worrying about gas mileage. It's just something that I did because in my old job I had to keep gas records in order to receive reimbursement for work related travel.

if you smoke a cigarette or drink a beer, you're taking more time to do that then I do to keep gas mileage records.