Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I commend you on the record keeping and knowing what your exact mileage is. Hey, if it is important to you and you enjoy knowing, then that is awesome.

However, I have a question(s).
    I understand tracking every mile and every gallon. But how did you manage to always use Shell 93 octane? Do you travel on your Spyder or stay within your local area?

The reason I ask is, when I ride, I find that when I need fuel, the same brand of gas is never always available. Sometimes it is Shell, sometimes Mobile, or Casey's, or 7-11 etc etc.

Trying to make sure I always used a particular brand/octane would drive me nuts. So, I'm just curious how in the world you managed that?
    I'm not a long-distance rider nor do I ride in foul weather. 75% of my purchases are local so I go to the same gas station. You are correct, I do not look for the same brand on my travels. But I do look for the highest octane. In many instances that is only 91. But I always buy 93 if it's available. In Ohio that's $.20 more gallon over 87.

I use GasDandy and fuelly.com to keep my records. Everyone makes it sound like it's so hard when it's only jotting down your odometer reading using the gas receipt. Instead of spending time on Facebook I update my gas record.

I certainly understand why gas mileage information is not very meaningful for many people. To be honest, overtime all it proves is that we're getting the same gas mileage roughly.

I never bought my Spyder worrying about gas mileage. It's just something that I did because in my old job I had to keep gas records in order to receive reimbursement for work related travel.

if you smoke a cigarette or drink a beer, you're taking more time to do that then I do to keep gas mileage records.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruze vs. Spyder

Every fill-up of both vehicles....added the Chevy Cruze March 5, 2012, not sure why it says added Sept 2012

Last edited by Knarfoh; 07-09-2014 at 06:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Knarfoh

I think calling debobstoy "dumb" was uncalled for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest Figures Ending September 20, 2014

Last 20 fill-ups. I notice it says above I average 1 fill-up a week. This is Ohio so from late October to early March (4 months) I do not ride at all. I am not a cold-weather rider or foul weather rider. Usually in March, it is hit and miss.

Spyder Garage

I had a "mind blower" when I filled my 1330 the last time.

212.3 miles and 4.59 gallons to fill. (46.25 mpg). Yes, I am very careful to fill to the same level each time.

I am guessing this is a one time thing because I have been averaging 40-41 on most tanks. I will take the 46 and run though--while it lasts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I had a "mind blower" when I filled my 1330 the last time.

212.3 miles and 4.59 gallons to fill. (46.25 mpg). Yes, I am very careful to fill to the same level each time.

I am guessing this is a one time thing because I have been averaging 40-41 on most tanks. I will take the 46 and run though--while it lasts.
    Your post is off-subject. This is about 2012, but still nice numbers to know!

Yes, I take great care in filling my tank also, but look at the numbers. Sorry, have no explanation why a fill-up results in such variations in numbers. Only way to tell true mileage is to track constantly - over a long period of time - and all that will tell you is what you (as an individual) get. How we shift - drive - rate of speed - grade of gas - terrain - etc. will affect our mileage (and each of us is different). But it should be in the ball park over a period of time.

When you track every gallon purchased and every mile traveled, those variations in fill-ups go away because at that point you are tracking actual gallons purchased and dividing it into actual miles traveled for every single mile of traveled distance.

Even you acknowledged "while it lasts" which makes me believe you expect your results to return to your normal expectation. All of us can report at least one "magical" fill-up (including mine where I got 40+). All my magical fill-ups are usually followed by a "less then magical" fill-up. LOL. This means the first fill-up was not "full". I have no idea how that can be (air pocket?) but it happens. The Spyder tanks are notoriously difficult to fill. I have to make sure I don't pump gas into the tank at full throttle and I go very slowly.

As someone wisely pointed out sometime ago - we didn't buy our Spyders for the gas mileage, we bought them because they were fun!

Over the lifetime of my Spyder (so far), I am reporting 31.1 miles to gallon. I see others reporting they have difficulty achieving anywhere near 30 and many around 28. So what gives?

My periodic reporting of gas mileage is for amusement purposes only and not intended to serve any other purpose.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 09-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.