Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rt problem tread

since some of us are upsetting others with our complaints i figured i would start this tread so just the people with problems with their bikes can post the problem or fixes for the problem. also list dealers that have helped or what BRP has or has not done for you.
    i will start it with my bike goes in tuesday for a complete work up that brp requested and i will only use this post for anything i hear or what they might of found with the bike. so lets give this a try so others will not be bothered.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What A Great Response

John,
    Have to say I admire your reaction to the feedback you've received. Personally, I don't mind reading about the problems. I find the posts informative and helpful in that it shares information with others who have the problem and could help them in their pursuit of a solution. I also understand the need to vent frustration over the way things are (or aren't) progressing. As a non-2013 owner I also understand folks who are a little frustrated themselves at seeing all kinds of posts peppered with 2013 gripes. Setting up this thread is a very constructive way to deal with the situation and it shows empathy towards those that don't want to have to read about the issues.

My hat's off to you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default new tread

all are welcome here to help others i just don't want any negative posts for the people that are frustrated with their bikes and have to take criticism about talking about it. just trying to keep friend, friends
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    all are welcome here to help others i just don't want any negative posts for the people that are frustrated with their bikes and have to take criticism about talking about it. just trying to keep friend, friends
    I look forward to hearing any diagnosis that they come up with on your bike. I intend to keep my 2013 and work through the problems. Yes, some will be at my expense. I still like the bike though and I doubt it will cost $10k to fix the deficiencies.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Awesome! A positive approach with real solutions in mind! I like it! This is what Spyderlovers is all about. Well, maybe not 'ALL' but at least some....

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

in keeping with the theme of this thread,

2013 RT Basic,

Problem # 1

Master Cylinder and Canister melting problem

Solution # 1

Took it to the dealer, waited approx 3 hours while dealer replaced (yes it was partialy melted), the Master Cylinder and put the heat shields on.

Appears to have fixed problem.

Cost: None, absorbed by BRP

Problem # 2

Hot Foot on Right Side from openings

Solution # 2

Took Spyder to Spyderpops and we cut some extra air vents into the lower frame and added a (Spyderpops) Upper Block off plate, and NBV Highway Pegs

Appears to have fixed the hot foot problem

Cost: About $300.00 after the purchase of the Highway Pegs and the Block Off Plate

Problem # 3

faulty? sway bar links

Solution:

Instead of taking to dealer to replace, i opted to purchase the metal links from Baja Ron and let Spyderpops install them.

Staus;

Problem Fixed

Cost less than $100.00, cost was my option, I could have let dealer replace them for free.

This is the only problems that i have encountered with my 2013 other than my desires for more lights and heavier sway bar and back rest, Bump Skid and other modifications, some for extra safety, some for a different look, some for extra comfort.

Other Notes:

9,000 Miles in less than 6 months and i have really enjoyed this ride.

Never experienced the heat from other sources as has been reported by other owners, was lucky enough to have the Master Cylinder fix done before any major failure occured.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Heat Issues

I have a 2013 ST-S with currently 6900 miles.
    Problem 1: Excessive heat on left leg.
    Solution: About $60 worth of heat shielding on left exhaust and left panels.

Problem 2: Melted MC cap.
    Solution: Dealer recall at no cost.

I have had no boiling gas or hot gas cap issues and engine is not running lean. I have been well satisfied with my Spyder.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

John
    I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
    So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
    Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
    IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
    I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB

Spyder Garage

I don't like the tread on my tire either
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I look forward to hearing any diagnosis that they come up with on your bike. I intend to keep my 2013 and work through the problems. Yes, some will be at my expense. I still like the bike though and I doubt it will cost $10k to fix the deficiencies.
    I agree with you. I think it would be cheaper to have someone come up with a way to re-route the exhaust. This would certainly help with the heat issues. Yes It's a tight space but this exactly the reason why the exhaust should never have been routed this way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    I agree with you. I think it would be cheaper to have someone come up with a way to re-route the exhaust. This would certainly help with the heat issues. Yes It's a tight space but this exactly the reason why the exhaust should never have been routed this way.
    I have seen a pic of the exhaust with Jet Hot ceramic coating that is probably the best way to fixed the exhaust heat related problems. All we got was some tinfoil
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default my bike

this is also my first spyder, i rode 2 wheels for many years and i had good and bad bikes. i traded or sold the bad ones and bought new ones, however with this bike it started out that the bike was all over the road and would nose dive on me. every now and than i would smell gas and still do, when i told my dealer he said the gas caps on other bikes were bad and replaced but not on mine. than i find out that there was a ball joint recall and bad shocks on some bikes, but i had already bought a set of elkas so they just needed to replace the ball joints, i also told them about the heat and the cruise control not working and the brake lights staying on. they said there was nothing wrong with the cruise and it worked fine on the test ride they took and that brake lights were common and no fix for it.
    so my question is why would brp continue to sell the bikes if they knew all the problems existed, and when a bike with problems was sold, and they know by the vin numbers, why not have the dealer fix the bike b4 delivery to the customer. now they also knew there was a problem going on in canada with the heat issue. but they never said anything to the states about it until the transportation authority got involved and than they did the recall. so the bike goes in tuesday for a work up that brp requested because of the heat temps i sent them with pictures of the temp gun pointing at the areas with the temp displayed, and they admit it is to hot. so i am at a point where i will keep the bike after spending money on other parts i bought to try and relieve the heat on my foot but who knows how long i will keep it for,
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I don't like the tread on my tire either
    Rev it up and dump the clutch every chance you get. The tread will go away and you'll be happy!

Spyder Garage

Would be nice if BRP would provide the pipes already coated under warranty. I think this would most certainly be cheaper than having someone get injured. Step up to the plate BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Rev it up and dump the clutch every chance you get. The tread will go away and you'll be happy!
    But I got a SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    John
    I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
    So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
    Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
    IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
    I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB
    I was a test pilot for Baja Ron's sway bar for the 2013 so I had it installed shortly after I purchased the Spyder. I was experiencing the wandering that you have and overall the handling was awful even with Ron's bar on it. I took it to my dealer and said ride it as far as you need to and you will see something is not right with it. I picked it up and the service writer told me that both the technician and the owner had ridden it and they both said that my Spyder handled better than their demo. I didn't give up as I knew it should handle better and I got BRP to authorize new shocks and this took care of the problem. When I picked up the Spyder and asked the owner if the service tech noticed an improvement he said that when the tech came back from the ride the first thing he said was to order new shocks for their demo.

Don't give up and don't stop coming here. If we all had 2012 RTs this would be a different spyderlovers.com but the fact is that we don't and some of us have problems and we need to be able to share them to find ways to fix them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was a test pilot for Baja Ron's sway bar for the 2013 so I had it installed shortly after I purchased the Spyder. I was experiencing the wandering that you have and overall the handling was awful even with Ron's bar on it. I took it to my dealer and said ride it as far as you need to and you will see something is not right with it. I picked it up and the service writer told me that both the technician and the owner had ridden it and they both said that my Spyder handled better than their demo. I didn't give up as I knew it should handle better and I got BRP to authorize new shocks and this took care of the problem. When I picked up the Spyder and asked the owner if the service tech noticed an improvement he said that when the tech came back from the ride the first thing he said was to order new shocks for their demo.

Don't give up and don't stop coming here. If we all had 2012 RTs this would be a different spyderlovers.com but the fact is that we don't and some of us have problems and we need to be able to share them to find ways to fix them.
    Thank you for your reply, that will be my next step after the laser alignment and the Baja Ron swaybar if that doesn't correct my problem. I will probably go with Elka's aftermarket shocks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...diging what I'm seeing so far!
    Dave,
    You did a lot with your bike, and insulating the fuel tank... how about some pics of that??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    But I got a SE5
    Oh... In that case, bad advise! Sorry about that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...diging what I'm seeing so far!
    Dave,
    You did a lot with your bike, and insulating the fuel tank... how about some pics of that??
    Ask and ye shall receive

Only place left to do is over the Cat I been a little lazy and need to get another roll of DEI insulating tape to finish but it will be easy to do just back it up on my ramp and get busy. It is easy to get to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Oh... In that case, bad advise! Sorry about that!
    I have thought about revving it and pushing the button but I fear what may happened

Spyder Garage

Default like it

i really like the fact that this is working out where people can talk w/o arguing, that being said i am leery about wrapping the tank. there has to be a really good reason they never did it.but i do hope now that we have a tread with just complaints, that brp will read them and maybe answer some questions to the problems
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Thanks for those pics!
    That has GOT to help with the perceived heat issues plaguing the 13s!
    And as far as having an ESSIE...
    Three words:
    Bleach Pit; Baby!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i really like the fact that this is working out where people can talk w/o arguing, that being said i am leery about wrapping the tank. there has to be a really good reason they never did it.but i do hope now that we have a tread with just complaints, that brp will read them and maybe answer some questions to the problems
    Of course there is it is $$$$ it is costing me $60 for the tape and 1hr labor. It is 1mil DEI 1500 degree tape and all it does it keep the tank from being a heat sink. I'm sure BRP did not intend it to be. It does nothing to prevent airflow except around the cap and latch area so no hot seat front. Cap has never been over 110deg and was 132deg before latch area I sealed the big hole I do no believe it has intended to be a vent as the seat blocks it. It was 150deg before 100 now. I am still waiting for FB to chime in if BRP paid for her tank they did not for me and I was not waiting after she posted her dealer and BRP approved it.