Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Web Ipad mini mod

Decided to add an Ipad mini to the Spyder, with all the free WIFI out there it makes for a great little mod. Although the Spyder is a 2011 it was bought new this april and I was worried about voiding the 3 year warrenty by tapping into the audio system, so it's a seperate unit using only power from the battery to work. I used a shark 250watt audio system with remote as the audio source and it is all incased in a fiberglass housing mounted on the dash with 3m automotive grade 2way tape the wiring is passed through the start up instrustion sleve that way there are no holes drilled anywhere . The small amp is hidden behind the Ipad and the remote is monuter just below the GPS. the remote is wired and these wires pass through and follow the same lines as the GPS. All in all i'm happy with it but have improvements to make. Although the windshield clears during the up and down movement, it is so close at the top end that if you hit a good bump in the road you get a small tap on the case. I also added an on/off switch because the amp does draw power for the clock. The thing I never liked about the audio system on the spyder was there is no ACC setting on the key to allow you to listen to the radio with all the lights and computer on when the wife is in shopping. You can also watch video.tv but not while driving of course. In Canada auto TV's have to be attached to the park break so they cannot be watch while the vehicle is in motion. My soloution was to add the keyboard as both a cover and it drops down between the bars so there is no way to drive and watch. Also included were a cigarette lighter and accessory port housing a USB adapter to charge the Ipad Mini. I called it Spyder WEB, well you know the internet or web I thoght it fit. LOL

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Very nice
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

That is very nice. Great job!

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

nice set up but I can see some little thug wanting himself an ipad and trying to steal that. at least around here the hood rats would try to.

any kind of anti glare you added to the screen in order to see it on bright days?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mwalsh6 View Post
    The thing I never liked about the audio system on the spyder was there is no ACC setting on the key to allow you to listen to the radio with all the lights and computer on when the wife is in shopping.
    Mike
    There is an ACC mode!
    When you turn the key off just hold the mode button. After a few seconds the display will turn back on and the radio will be playing. The iPod even works through the display controls. The lights etc are off so your not killing the battery! Works just like an ACC on a car. You can even remove the key.
    Then to turn off this ACC mode, just hold mode or turn on and off the emergency flashers.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    There is an ACC mode!
    When you turn the key off just hold the mode button. After a few seconds the display will turn back on and the radio will be playing. The iPod even works through the display controls. The lights etc are off so your not killing the battery! Works just like an ACC on a car. You can even remove the key.
    Then to turn off this ACC mode, just hold mode or turn on and off the emergency flashers.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Finless;
    You beat me in sharing that little gem of information by a few minutes. Great job with the explanation!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Insane

Mike...that install is INSANE (in a good way, of course)!!!

i've seen a few different takes on tablets installed on Spyders, and I have to say i'm impressed with yours the most. This is not to say the others aren't good, but I like the way you basically built a speaker box with amp and added a Tablet to it. Rock on, my friend...

Spyder Garage

Default ACC mod

God, I didn't know that about the ACC mode that would of saved me a ton of work. that bieng said it opens new possibilities. I believe there is a lighting adapter that will allow the ipad to attach to the bike the same way the ipod does. Well with winter coming it's back to the drawing board to perfect the design. Thanks all for your comments.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Great work Mike!

Glad you learned about the acc setting. You'll find you have to hit the 4-way flasher button twice to turn off acc.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Great work Mike!

Glad you learned about the acc setting. You'll find you have to hit the 4-way flasher button twice to turn off acc.
    That's odd. I only have to turn on my flashers, wait about 2 seconds, and turn them off and it then turns off ACC mode. I have never had to do it twice. Maybe a code difference between years?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    That's odd. I only have to turn on my flashers, wait about 2 seconds, and turn them off and it then turns off ACC mode. I have never had to do it twice. Maybe a code difference between years?

Bob
    Yes. Hit the button once to turn them on and then again to turn them off. That means hitting the button twice.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)