Spyder Garage

Default Have you checked you brake pads lately?

Had new EBC's put on rear yesterday...old ones were very thin... and on way home did the Ron Stomp of 50 down to 20 about 8-10 times. Started to smell the brakes heating up good midway thru and afterwards, I find the front squealing is gone. Guess they'd been glazed as I'm not a hard rider and seldom have to hit the brakes hard.

The significant thing to me is that this the second set of rear EBC's, with only 10K between them. The OEM's lasted till 21K and then the first set of EBC's were put on. Now at 31K its the second set of EBC's. Point is, if you haven't had your pads checked lately, it might be a good idea to do so.

If your machine is like mine, it might throw a "faulty brake" light (C1282) which points the mechanics to all sorts of things other than the rear brake. Mine has been in the shop seven times trying to track the problem, with BRP tech input, to no avail. I discoverd the rear pads were thin after reading a similar problem by CyncySpyder who solved his with
    either a brake switch or rear pads....both being done at same time. I had the switch changed out but it didn't solve mine so then I pulled the caliper off and checked the pads which were really thin. I may be jumping the gun, but after riding yesterday and today with no "faulty brake" light popping up, I believe the problem is solved. If not, I'll let you know.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Same here, I used up my EBCs in just 3000 miles. I replaced them with the stock BRP style.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Same here, I used up my EBCs in just 3000 miles. I replaced them with the stock BRP style.
    Are these the same EBC pads that BajaRon sells? Is 3k miles all I can expect on the set I just installed?

Spyder Garage

They stop real well, but mine seem to be dusting heavily to achieve it...............................wondering if they make their Red pads for the Spyder?????

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Mine are EBC 473 rear and 474 front. They may wear faster, but they also definitely provide more stopping power...at least on mine. I'd take these over the OEM's, but thats a personal choice.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

I'm so sick of my brakes squealing & skreeching. I have yet to find a fix. I'm disgusted. I contacted Bajaron about his pads. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do. I just know that I want to do something. Mine is a 2011 Ltd with 15,000 and they have always done this. From everything I have read, this is the "nature of the beast". Well, the beast needs to get the hell outta here. I'm tired of it.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    I'm so sick of my brakes squealing & skreeching. I have yet to find a fix. I'm disgusted. I contacted Bajaron about his pads. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do. I just know that I want to do something. Mine is a 2011 Ltd with 15,000 and they have always done this. From everything I have read, this is the "nature of the beast". Well, the beast needs to get the hell outta here. I'm tired of it.
    Go out on a road where theres little or no traffic, run up to 50 and get on the brakes hard, just short of a panic stop. Do this 8 or 10 times in a row. You'll smell the brakes heating up and the glaze on the pads will burn off. Try that see if it works. It certainly did on my fronts that had begun squealing. I should point out, that my EBC fronts had 10 or 12K on them before they ever squealed even a little. I wonder if yours had the CRC goo put on the backs before they were installed and the pins/sliders lightly lubed. If not, that may also be the cause. But, give the hard stop method a go first, and if that don't work, have your tech pull the pads to clean and relube.

Edited: Just reread your post and realize that at 15K you probably still have the OEM pads, not Ron's EBC's. Along about that time is when my OEM's started squealing, not bad, but it was there at low speed or when stopping. I later changed them to Ron's EBC's which did not squeal for a very long time until a glaze built up on the pads.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 10-12-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)