Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New issue with Spyder ST... Belt guard issues.

Maybe I've been out of the loop, but now there is a known issue with the belt guard vibrating loose? This is the first I am hearing of this.

I only had my Spyder back from the 'melted master cylinder' repair for two weeks and on my first time out I heard a horrible noise as soon as I started to move. Evidently there is an issue with the belt guards coming loose and unfortunately mine caused damage to the belt. BRP is aware of this and is covering the repairs.

Crazy. Another two weeks in the shop.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You are not the first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't even begin to tell you how much better that makes me feel....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default belt guard

I lost one of the screws that held the belt guard in place I noticed it while washing it I think my STL only had about 700 miles on it at the time luckily I found it before it did any damage. Sorry to hear you are broke down it is however good that your dealer is taking care of the damaged belt

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I saw a post on here that Lamont's fell off.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamike View Post
    Maybe I've been out of the loop, but now there is a known issue with the belt guard vibrating loose? This is the first I am hearing of this.

I only had my Spyder back from the 'melted master cylinder' repair for two weeks and on my first time out I heard a horrible noise as soon as I started to move. Evidently there is an issue with the belt guards coming loose and unfortunately mine caused damage to the belt. BRP is aware of this and is covering the repairs.

The same thing happened with mine last month and I posted. My ST Limited has not been the same since. It is like I am riding a different bike. It seems like after 4200 miles things started to change. Who does your service?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    The same thing happened with mine last month and I posted. My ST Limited has not been the same since. It is like I am riding a different bike. It seems like after 4200 miles things started to change. Who does your service?
    Mine did not start having problems until about 4000 miles...then every time I ride a new problems shows it's ugly face

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is the first I've heard of this one. I'm going to check mine when I get home. I have about 1200 miles on mine, so for no issues other than dealer. Thanks to all who post things so the rest of us can be on the look out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    I lost one of the screws that held the belt guard in place I noticed it while washing it I think my STL only had about 700 miles on it at the time luckily I found it before it did any damage. Sorry to hear you are broke down it is however good that your dealer is taking care of the damaged belt
    May I ask if this issue is mainly related to ST or RT as well? I have RT-S SE5. Shall I be concerned?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The list gets longer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a good warning to all and we should check ours routinely.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default problems

I have a 2012 RT S with 9600 miles and I have had 0 problems except that it uses oil like a '67 Buick.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Mine did not start having problems until about 4000 miles...then every time I ride a new problems shows it's ugly face

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamike View Post

My wife's 2013ST belt guard fell off just as we were pulling in for the 600 mile service (@ <1000 miles).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    May I ask if this issue is mainly related to ST or RT as well? I have RT-S SE5. Shall I be concerned?
    This problem seems to be only with the ST as I do not think the RT has a belt guard like the ST.

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now the problem has been publicly aired it should be pretty straightforward to
    remove the bolts/screws which retain the guard and apply some removable threadlock to
    the threads and refit.
    If BRP were aware, did they actually issue a headzup to the dealer network to check all
    belt guards?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

definitely not a new event. I know of at least two so far

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    Mosites Motorsports in Irwin.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had mine fall off. The dealer replaced it and used the same non-locking cap nut that came with it originally. I'm sure that is what BRP supplies with the guard. I got home and applied some loc-tite to it. I plan on replacing them with locking nuts as soon as I get the chance.

Spyder Garage

Same here with my 2013 ST Limited. Bolt fell out and started to rub after Spyderfest on ride home to Houston.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One of the bolts for the upper belt guard fell out somewhere around 2000 miles on my 2013 RS-S, so I put a tie wrap on it temporally.....Forgot all about it until I read this thread.

Spyder Garage

Huckfin I did the same and left it there. Has worked good so far. $25,000 and I fixed it with a tie wrap, lol.