Spyder Garage

Default Need help diagnosing my problem

Ok to start off I have a 2009 GS SE5. Right at 12,000 miles on the bike. Was riding today to the missiissippi coast for cruising the coast and spyder started running rough. Not shifting smooth, lugging when you start off. It has been popping and backfiring in 2 & 3rd gear at 4,000 to 4,500 RPM. Seems to smooth out at higher RPM and full speed but can still notice not as smooth as normal. It's much worse when the bike is hot. Also have trouble starting it when it's hot. Have to give it a little gas and let off to get it to start. Starts better after it has cooled down and runs better when it's cool. The odd thing is I stopped to fill up on the way home, then it ran really good for about 20 miles. Just happened to have to go by my dealer on the way home so stopped in and talked to the spyder tech. He hooked up BUDS and no active codes. He said it sounded like possibly plug wires and plugs or a purge valve. Plugs have never been changed. He also mentioned that oil in the air box may could cause this. Also I have stock exhaust. I changed all Y gaskets when I bought the bike a year ago so I think they should be good. Used the honda gaskets. Any ideas from some of our pros (nancystoy, bajaron, etc.) I trust this forum probably more than my local dealers. Plus they said I would have to leave the bike a month and a half before they could look at it.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Default Check Spark Plug Wires

My 2008 started acting really odd when the plug wires went bad. Sometimes they worked ok and sometimes had the problems you described. Would suggest a pair of plug wires from Baja Ron who is a Spyderlover.com vendor. I just put a set of his plug wires in and had a noticeable difference even though the old ones were not too bad. The OEM plug wires have a bad reputation for being pretty fragile, so I personally would not use OEM ones ever again on my Spyder

Spyder Garage

When a vehicle suddenly starts running badly, with the kind of symptoms you mentioned, your first thought has to be "Bad Gas." Yes, it could be plugs, plug wires, the coils, a broken vacuum line, bad puge valve, or even the ECM. These seldom leave codes. The first thing I would do is add some Marine Stabil or Seafoam, run that tank out, and get some fresh fuel. Some stabilizer in the second and even the third tanks wouldn't hurt. That approach may not cure your problem, but it is cheap, can't hurt, and it eliminates one possibility.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    When a vehicle suddenly starts running badly, with the kind of symptoms you mentioned, your first thought has to be "Bad Gas." Yes, it could be plugs, plug wires, the coils, a broken vacuum line, bad puge valve, or even the ECM. These seldom leave codes. The first thing I would do is add some Marine Stabil or Seafoam, run that tank out, and get some fresh fuel. Some stabilizer in the second and even the third tanks wouldn't hurt. That approach may not cure your problem, but it is cheap, can't hurt, and it eliminates one possibility.
    Thanks. I'm willing to try that although I did about 400 miles today so went through a couple of tanks of gas after it started. Forgot to mention the problem starting started a few weeks ago. Always starts but takes a few turnovers and twisting of the throttle to get it to starts. This is mainly only when the spyder is hot.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Thanks. I'm willing to try that although I did about 400 miles today so went through a couple of tanks of gas after it started. Forgot to mention the problem starting started a few weeks ago. Always starts but takes a few turnovers and twisting of the throttle to get it to starts. This is mainly only when the spyder is hot.
    How many miles on it? Sounds suspiciously like you need to have the valve clearance checked.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

How many miles on it? Sounds suspiciously like you need to have the valve clearance checked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    My 2008 started acting really odd when the plug wires went bad. Sometimes they worked ok and sometimes had the problems you described. Would suggest a pair of plug wires from Baja Ron who is a Spyderlover.com vendor. I just put a set of his plug wires in and had a noticeable difference even though the old ones were not too bad. The OEM plug wires have a bad reputation for being pretty fragile, so I personally would not use OEM ones ever again on my Spyder
    Sometimes when plug wires are bad if you look at the motor and wires running in the dark you can see them jump fire to the medal arround them
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

That's a little soon for the valves to tighten up, but stranger things have happened. At this point you need moore mechanic than tech...although testing the sensors on BUDS may be a good idea. Lots of possibilities, but your tech is on the right tracks. As was said, look for spark jump with the body panels off in a dark garage. Don't use the OEM plug wires, emissions warranteed or not, they are crap! Use the BajaRon wires if you can. Purge valve can be tested via BUDS and some physical tests. I'd give your tech a chance.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

At Spyders In The Rewoods one of the guys had a problem which sounds similar to yours. After working on the bike all day, several guys deduced it was the gas filter.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I would also look for another dealer ! 6 weeks to look at your Spyder
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's iNsAnE!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Question -was it very damp or humid when this problem revealed itself to you? If the answe is yes, then to further check your spark plug wiring get yourself a small water spray bottle with. An adjustable spray nozzle, use 1 teaspoon of liquid soap and fill it up with water and when you can get it running spray the ignition wiring with the soapy water. If one is leaky you will know immediately.

Personal experimenting and using more soap has proven to be a good sealer on pours vacuum lines. Spray it on the suspected vacuum hose good and heavy and if the engine smooths out you have found your leaker.

Tips from my friend who ran an automotive tuneup shop for 30 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Question -was it very damp or humid when this problem revealed itself to you? If the answe is yes, then to further check your spark plug wiring get yourself a small water spray bottle with. An adjustable spray nozzle, use 1 teaspoon of liquid soap and fill it up with water and when you can get it running spray the ignition wiring with the soapy water. If one is leaky you will know immediately.

Personal experimenting and using more soap has proven to be a good sealer on pours vacuum lines. Spray it on the suspected vacuum hose good and heavy and if the engine smooths out you have found your leaker.

Tips from my friend who ran an automotive tuneup shop for 30 years.
    It was not. Sunny and 87 yesterday where I was but I may give this a try anyway. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Looked at the parts list on BRP's page and the purge valve is listed as not available for the 08-12's but there is a bleed valve listed for the 2013. Is this the same thing? Ordering a set of plugs and wires from Ron today.

Spyder Garage

Looked at the parts list on BRP's page and the purge valve is listed as not available for the 08-12's but there is a bleed valve listed for the 2013. Is this the same thing? Ordering a set of plugs and wires from Ron today.
    I would not blindly replace the purge valve without having a dealer test it first. Your problem may lie elsewhere. If you feel you must, contact your dealer for a superceeding part number on the purge valve.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would not blindly replace the purge valve without having a dealer test it first. Your problem may lie elsewhere. If you feel you must, contact your dealer for a superceeding part number on the purge valve.
    Ok. Thanks.