Spyder Garage

Default Some opinions would be very welcome.......

Short version- I had open heart surgery in 07, left me with plates in my neck, and over 400 staples. Right arm requried elbow and wrist reconstruction (ulnar nerve relocation- crazy bone- dont ask, and make DARN sure you dont google the video)....so I have a 10# weight limit on my right arm. Momma and I want to get back to touring. I am currently (trying like hell) to ride a Sportster because its light, fast, and I have it set up for touring. BUT....its getting harder and harder to ride it safely without requiring 2 weeks to get my arm and neck back into a livable pain level. SO...options for me are, 1- side car for the sporty. Mom would be comfortable, bike would be stable, and we could haul again. cost- $3500, to the $8500 I have in the sporty. 2- Trike the Sporty- while it would be even more stable, the sporty is pretty tight for Mom and I. (darn I love to eat!) cost- $8000 plus the $8500 I have into the sporty. 3- Spyder- used- I THINK it would afford more comfort for mom, we could tour, its stable. Cost- about $10,000 used.

Now, I KNOW what forum I am posting this in, so I have a pretty good idea how the tide will flow. BUT, here is what I am really asking- WHY go with the spyder? I have some concerns to be honest. Repair network. I am used to being able to toss an empty coke can and hit a dealer. Parts availability- I have SEVERAL catalogs of parts over 1000 pages each, and the factory offerings are spendy, and very limited! I KNOW the spyder would be the "safest" option, but have any of you had extensive sidecar experience to share why the spyder would be safer? I have been riding since 1967, and since 1980 on HD.....so I have a couple miles behind me. I can ride. What I need to know is WHAT should I be riding now for Mom's comfort (larger seats for both of us) and safely.

Thanks for the time.....and I will take whatever you say (please, no HD bashing though heheheh).

prof

Spyder Garage

Prof, couple of questions from the perspective of an RN. How far do you plan on riding? With 10,000 dollar price I assume you are looking at an RS model? What is your pain level and how much can you endure? RS is fun to ride but can get quite uncomfortable being in basically in same position. Also may want to consider a throttle lock de to continual pressure to right wrist on RS. May also consider highway pegs to change position. May want to try riding Spyder first and let wife ride on ack to see if it fits you. They are fun to ride but depends on HS much you can take with yourself resolved limitations. I switched from an RS to an ST for soma added comfort due to past injuries and limitations. The RS was crazy fun but long trips killed my right knee and back. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

From one professir to another

What you are going to ultimately decide is up to you. Your right, we are a bit biased here.

Given a choice between a sidecar rig and a , the wins hands down. I am talking safety issues here. The has the nanny, and many other safety systems on board.

Comfort wise, the RT is great for two up touring and you don't have to worry about the "floating" side car.

Suggesting a test drive to see what you think and how you like it.

There is also the HD tri glide if you are still into the brand. A comparison drive between HD and will also tell you a lot.

Good luck in your hunt. Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I have never ridden with a side car, however I will say that riding a Spyder takes more upper body use in curves than a 2 wheeler. I have ridden for 23 years and wanted to buy a "bike" that would be a long term ride. I am glad that I bought my Spyder and plan on keeping it as long as it will still roll under its own power. It's just a lot of fun to ride and you don't see one everywhere you look (not knocking Harley) lol.... I highly recommend one if your upper body can handle it (test rides are free at the dealership). Good luck!

Spyder Garage

never done the side car, so can't comment on that, but I can tell you that at 62 years old, both the wife and I just love the rss spyder. I will fess up that we did have to change the seat from stock to a custom ultimate for longer trips. she always felt like she was sliding forward into me. there is a definite slope on the stock seat. as others have suggested, a test drive is great, but you aren't going to be able to truly feel the ride by just a fifteen minute test drive. there is a learning curve to the ride when you're coming from two wheels, and when that is mastered, you will really love the machine!!!

Spyder Garage

The sidecar people I talked to when started on my three wheel quest said, it took a lot muscule to operate a side car. I am not sure a Sporty would be a good canidate for a trike conversion.
    As stated other HD or a tri glide would be a different story.
    I, personally, do not feel there is a lot of room on a RS for two people. With the new 2014 RT, there may a lot of older RT's for sale at a somewhat reasonable price. (My 2010 will be worth a lot less on a trade in). The RT cruise is a nice thing on the highway.
    As said, try any you can can and see which ones work for you and can afford.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have no more radial nerve in my right arm so I have almost the same problem you have; only my biceps is functioning. When this happened to me (MC accident) I had to sell most of my bikes as they were too heavy or I could not use drum brake. I bought a RT in -11 and it has 2 main advantages: no front brake and power assistance. As I wanted still to ride in the dirt I got myself a Ural too... Ural is a lot of work with only one arm but it is slower and the front Brembo is OK with 2 fingers! Your Sporster would be an OK ride if you change the triple trees (DMC in WA can help you). I am putting now a sidecar on my old Softail Custom, just for the fun of it, but for long ride I use my RT ( and soon my 2014 one!! Which is a lot easier to ride than mine!).
    Let us know what you decide!

Spyder Garage

I think on a straight road, either one would take minimal effort unless there is a bad crosswind.
    On the twisties,you do have to work both types.

Adding a hack to your sporty is gonna make it feel gutless and will suck the gas.At least with a Spyder, there's power to spare and will still suck the gas.

And with a Spyder, your chances of a test ride are far greater to get the feel.May even be able to rent one before buying.Dont think you can do that with a hack unless you know someone.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BTW: there is a company (Eagle rider?) which rent Spyder....

Spyder Garage

Prmurat is correct about the raked trees.Makes the steering easier on hacks.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Are the frames or seat options different between the RT and RS? Seat size does play into account a LOT. We ride long and hard. I have done 1000 miles a day solo, and 800 two up on the Sporty- BUT....Momma says we will be a lot more relaxed pace these days.

The Tri-glides are out of the question for a few reasons. Mainly, I am not dropping $35K on a bike. Not to mention, its the size of a buick. lol.

As to my pain levels- That is something I work on a daily basis. Some days, I feel on the edge of control, others, in spite of my over 2 doz pain pills a day, its more then I can deal with. (just for clarification- my Dr is VERY involved and in control of what and how often I take for pain)

I am concerned over the arm strength to handle a trike. I rode a tri-glide, and it was indeed a different dynamic in ride, and I found I was using my left arm to "muscle' the bike and my right arm to run the throttle. I am fighting the sinking feeling that I may have damaged my arm beyond motorcycles now. Its a major risk riding 2 wheels, as if I ever HAD to catch the bike, or leaned it too far, my right arm would give out, ripping up the rebuild and it would be non-repairable. Yet 3 wheels, in any configuration seems to require more arm strength then I can muster.

I will find a local dealer and go try out a spyder. Not giving up just yet! Thank you for the kind and informative responses so far.

Spyder Garage

Just gonna throw this out so please take no offense, there are 1000 girls on Spyders. If really want to keep riding maybe get momma a license and enjoy the scenery. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I ride my Spyder RS (I'm 6'6", 265#) so I think there is plenty of room for comfort. I noticed that you said you could pick a used Spyder for $10,000. You must be looking at the GS which is an older RS model. If that is the case you can buy extensions for the bars which will move them closer and that may make it easier to ride. Also, you will not find a more stable "bike" to ride than a Spyder. I have been caught in the rain a couple of times and feel very safe. I think you would have to try to roll it to get it to go on it's side even on dry pavement. Once again good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

never liked the sidecar or the trikes. The major advantage here is these machines are techy. You have an electric assisted steering with abs brakes. You have stability control and a bunch of three letter modules that make this a very helpful unit for you. If you get over excited the computer known as the nanny will correct the situation and keep you on the road on all three wheels. This is sometimes a pain but great in a bind. As mentioned you can test ryde them and rent them and that would be the way to go. Once you see how they work for you decide what to do. If you have the semi automatic model and Momma doesen't ryde this would be the one she could handle easily and you could share the long hauls...good luck either way...be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I doubt if $10,000.00 is too far out of the ballpark for a used RT once the '14's are actually on the showroom floors so I wouldn't let price scare me out of the Spyder RT market just yet. I ride a 2010 RT and I doubt that dealers would want to give me much more than that in trade on a 2014 RT. On the minus side, as others have noted, any trike takes more upper body strength than a 2 wheeler. But this only matters in the twisties and then only if the twisties continue for quite a while. On the interstate or even straight 2 lane highways like we have plenty of here in west Texas, it doesn't require any more upper body strength than a 2 wheeler. Ride a Spyder and don't give up on the idea of getting a used RT. Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never give up, and never surrender!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I rode an RTS with semi-auto tranny for three years. Now I ride a Tri-Glide. The RTS was a little less strenuous to steer than the Harley, but it had a softer ride and better wind protection.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Got many thousands of miles on sidecars. Also have some trophies for sidecar racing laying around somewhere. The Spyder is probably your best bet, the power steering would be the main reason I say that. Sidecars, unless properly set up, will require more steering input than any of the other options. Having a lot of experience with the HD's the only way your "Sporty" will haul a car or a trike is a lot more gearing and horsepower. I rode the sidecars mostly because it was the only option until the advent of the trikes. I'm a left leg, above knee, amp. I am impressed with your ability to ride double on the Sporty all of those miles! My Spyder RT wasn't a real good experience for me, I really liked the bike but it never really wanted to be to far away from a dealer. Say what you will about the HD's but there is almost always a dealer close by. If you decide on the RT spend a lot of time on this site researching the best model year to buy, there are some obvious years to avoid. Ride on man, I'm pulling for ya!!

Dwight

Spyder Garage

A question that is kind of in here. Is there anyway the power assist steering can be changed to increase power for those in need of it?
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Luck with your search

I'd just like to add to the comments that there are many Spyder owners on the Forum that own other brands as well. I think you will find a welcome mat always out for you and your wife. I picked up a used (2,200 miles) 2010 RT-S and we REALLY enjoy this bike! Added about 5,500 miles on it since March. No issues other than a new battery. Cruise Control will help your right hand/arm while the paddle shift will help out your left leg and left arm. Foot brake operates all three wheels plus the brakes are computer controlled for added safety. You and your wife have a lot to think about, but if you have any questions about a Spyder, this is the best Forum to post to. Using the "Search" function (upper, right side of the Forum page) will open up a lot of prior posts and may help answer questions for both of you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. We are here to help. Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default There is one more danger of having a Spyder ...

... and that is ... as soon as you get one, you will inevitably start "imroving" it with all kinds of modifications (of which there are plenty on the net) and that is another quite expensive side of Spydership to consider.

Am I right guys?
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Default IMHO

You are correct in that the HD trike takes upper body to muscle your way around corners and curves. I tried one also. Then I tried the RT. Night and day difference. I found it to turn on a dime and after about 500 seat miles to get used to the machine, can now take corners and curves at or above speed limit. And you should seriously try the semi automatic transmission. All you need is your left thumb to shift. No clutch or brake lever to worry about. You have all your touring abilities as the HD trike, stereo,cruise control,heated grips,etc. As stated earlier, with the 2014's on the way, probably can find a good low miles used RT. Good luck and hope this helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by professir View Post
    Are the frames or seat options different between the RT and RS? Seat size does play into account a LOT. We ride long and hard. I have done 1000 miles a day solo, and 800 two up on the Sporty- BUT....Momma says we will be a lot more relaxed pace these days.

The Tri-glides are out of the question for a few reasons. Mainly, I am not dropping $35K on a bike. Not to mention, its the size of a buick. lol.

As to my pain levels- That is something I work on a daily basis. Some days, I feel on the edge of control, others, in spite of my over 2 doz pain pills a day, its more then I can deal with. (just for clarification- my Dr is VERY involved and in control of what and how often I take for pain)

I am concerned over the arm strength to handle a trike. I rode a tri-glide, and it was indeed a different dynamic in ride, and I found I was using my left arm to "muscle' the bike and my right arm to run the throttle. I am fighting the sinking feeling that I may have damaged my arm beyond motorcycles now. Its a major risk riding 2 wheels, as if I ever HAD to catch the bike, or leaned it too far, my right arm would give out, ripping up the rebuild and it would be non-repairable. Yet 3 wheels, in any configuration seems to require more arm strength then I can muster.

I will find a local dealer and go try out a spyder. Not giving up just yet! Thank you for the kind and informative responses so far.
    Back again! In comparing the RS vs the RT Spyder--the description we use mostly is like comparing a crotch rocket to a luxury touring bike (like a GW or an Electra Glide). The seating position is different (RS/croutch and RT/upright). Better seating ameneties on the RT. The 2013 model year came out with the ST--a cross between the RS and the RT. Basically no rear trunk if you go for the upline version. Seats can be a real issue--and I always find the OEM to be to squisshy. Not sure about your sizes--but you will have to determine how the two of you will fit by test sitting. Take some time and do your research to see what works best for you.

The
    is a large investment--but once you get it right for your needs, I think you will be in store for many happy miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post
    ... and that is ... as soon as you get one, you will inevitably start "imroving" it with all kinds of modifications (of which there are plenty on the net) and that is another quite expensive side of Spydership to consider.

Am I right guys?
    Yes; yes you are...

Farkleosis has only two know cures:
    Bankruptcy
    Death at the hands of an enraged spouse...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black