Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    and it was fixed on my 09 RS too just by having the pipes ceramic coated by Jet Hot. I just don't understand why more owners haven't had this done.

Thats is what I'll be doing the winter. It's the only true way to deal with the heat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Actually there was no insulation there before That came from a wrecked Spyder they had sitting there and I asked them to put it on the plastic. Cap stays cool now so does the seat. The rest is 1mil DEI 1500 deg tape. Only flow it cuts down on is what heat is rising up above the tank. None on that side now.
    Many thanks for the web site with various thermal wrap. I've bookmarked it for future use; every once in awhile I need some of this stuff and didn't know where to find it. Will certainly need it if I get a '13.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Mike might have a good point here; does that extra thickness reduce airflow around the tank, and would a thinner insulation do the same job?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    The rear cyl pipe curves just in front of the gas tank and then downward to the cat.....did you wrap that one also?

And where did you find the insulation you put on the tank?
    Looks to be useful stuff.
    Yes both pipes were wrapped with new aluminum heat shield, fabricated by Mark and master cylinder and brake cables covered with same shield as gas tank....shield was purchased from Amazon....$45 buck 1 sheet
    resize2.jpg
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 10-08-2013 at 01:17 PM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dave,
    Mike might have a good point here; does that extra thickness reduce airflow around the tank, and would a thinner insulation do the same job?
    Bob the tank is wrapped with 1 mil DEI foil. The only thickness is on the plastic cover that goes around the top of the tank gas cap area and that was where I was trying to keep any heat from flowing too. And it works. The inside of all the Tupperware has the same foam insulation that is where I got it from a wrecked Spyder
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it!
    Since you've got the thermometer; have you been able to take temperature readings at the rear of the bike (Where the air is exiting the Tupperware), while it is in motion?
    (I'm not sure what it would show; just curious...)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-08-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Got it!
    Since you've got the termometer; have you been able to take temperature readings at the rear of the bike (Where the air is exiting the Tupperware), while it is in motion?
    (I'm not sure what it would show; just curious...)
    I am not a contortionist (but I know some girls who are WOW) so if you want to hang off while I am riding to get the flow numbers we could do that.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious... but not NUTZ!!
    contortionists??? We're going to have to have a little talk about that!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot gas

At what temp will gas ignite in a closed container???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WAY higher than you could stand to be on the bike; Relax... it ain't gonna happen!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdwheel View Post
    At what temp will gas ignite in a closed container???
    It probably won't. You need three things to ignite a fire, fuel, an ignition source, and air (oxygen). In a closed container the air would be displaced by gasoline vapors and there would not be enough to support combustion. The explosive or flammable limits of gasoline range from 1.4% to 7.6% gasoline vapor in air. Too little air and there is no fire, too much and there is also no fire, even with an adequate ignition source.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the 13 model you need to worry about that vapor canister, full of gas vapors and melting by exhaust heat! That is one of the parts they wrap up with tin foil as their "fix".

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas tank boiling

Working on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited I found that the pipes (both) are within a half inch of the front of the gas tank. The gas tank front only has two small heat shields. I wrapped the pipes and don't have much heat now. A friend took out his air box and replaced it with a round air cleaner. Now he can see the top of his engine as well as getting to the spark plug on the right side. He doesn't have oil leaking from the air box either. He notice that he don't have the strong gas smell at times anymore. Wrapping the pipes cuts a lot of the heat but will wrap the canister also. BRP should of done better heat shielding of the gas tank as well as the canister. RJ

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default MPG on your Spyder

I have a Spyder RT Limited 2012. I have found that I get 28 mpg to 30 mpg on my SE5 if I keep the rpm's 3,500 to 4,500 but best at 4,000 rpm's. At 4,500 rpm you are doing 60 mph, 5,000 you are doing 70 mph then young mpg starts going down. At 6,000 rpm you are doing 80 mph so start watching for a gas station lol. RJ
    Try to keep your shifting at 5,000 rpm and that will also help with your mpg. RJ
    Last edited by AZCowboy; 10-13-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Shifting rpm's