Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Not Working

Tried releasing the parking brake on my 2010 RTS and got nothing when I pushed the button this morning. I had to release the cable with the adjustment nuts at the rear wheel to get the bike to move. I've checked all the fuses (under seat and front trunk) and they all look good. Removed the side panels and the parking brake light switch on the bottom of the camber does switch the console parking brake light off and on. Noticed in the service manual that the WPM module controls both the windshield adjustment and the parking brake. The windshield adjustment seems to work fine. At this point I think the parking brake motor may be bad. Guess I'll need to take it into the shop for extended warranty repair.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you got the extended warranty then it needs to go back. I discovered that if you don't turn the parking brake on and the alarm goes off if you ignore the alarm it will stop in 20 seconds. That's handy cause if you need to push it around you don't have to keep turning it on and off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Had similar problem

I had a similar problem on the second day I had my 2012 RTS. The parking brake would not release no matter what I did. I live about two hours from my dealer, so I tried to diagnose it myself. Not knowing exactly how the parking brake actually works, I didn't try backing off the adjustment nuts to release it. However, knowing that it is electronically controlled, I looked at the fuses to see if one was blown. No luck, but I did pull the MAIN fuse and reset it and low-and-behold, the brake released. From that time until I took the bike in for it's 600 mile check, I just never reset the brake and left it in gear (mine is a SM5) when parked. I reported it to the tech at 600 mile check and they could never make it fail and I have had no problems again in over 4,000 miles. With all the electronics that are on these bikes, I am not suggesting that its a good idea to pull the MAIN fuse to release the parking brake, but it did work for me. I'm sure there is a better solution for a stuck parking brake, but as a last resort, my solution might get you out of a tight...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never that problem and please let us know what the dealer did to correct the issue.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaguy View Post
    I had a similar problem on the second day I had my 2012 RTS. The parking brake would not release no matter what I did. I live about two hours from my dealer, so I tried to diagnose it myself. Not knowing exactly how the parking brake actually works, I didn't try backing off the adjustment nuts to release it. However, knowing that it is electronically controlled, I looked at the fuses to see if one was blown. No luck, but I did pull the MAIN fuse and reset it and low-and-behold, the brake released. From that time until I took the bike in for it's 600 mile check, I just never reset the brake and left it in gear (mine is a SM5) when parked. I reported it to the tech at 600 mile check and they could never make it fail and I have had no problems again in over 4,000 miles. With all the electronics that are on these bikes, I am not suggesting that its a good idea to pull the MAIN fuse to release the parking brake, but it did work for me. I'm sure there is a better solution for a stuck parking brake, but as a last resort, my solution might get you out of a tight...
    I went back and tried pulling the Main 40 amp green fuse under the seat and still no brake release. I'm thinking it's the electric actuator motor. It's going into the dealer Wednesday and hopefully they can figure it out. Thank goodness I purchased the BEST extended warranty. Thanks anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Not Working

The odds are that your switch is the problem. It has failed more than likely from corrosion.
    I would be very surprised if it was anything besides the switch.

KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyspyder View Post
    The odds are that your switch is the problem. It has failed more than likely from corrosion.
    I would be very surprised if it was anything besides the switch.

KYSPYDER
    Kind of dough it's the switch since the bike hasn't been ridden in the rain and I cover it when washing the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    Kind of dough it's the switch since the bike hasn't been ridden in the rain and I cover it when washing the bike.
    Well I'll have to eat my words! Yesterday I tried rocking the switch several times and the parking brake started working. It's working every time. If it fails again it's going into the shop for a new switch.
    Last edited by 1551retired; 10-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Gots to watch that old Kentucky Spyder (kyspyder) guy, he's been around the block once or twice and knows his stuff.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you listen and can here the motor turn, you might just have debri in the rear hub that the cable travels on. Ours gets stopped up all the time after riding in the wet from road grime. They did have a spring upgrade which was stronger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    If you listen and can here the motor turn, you might just have debri in the rear hub that the cable travels on. Ours gets stopped up all the time after riding in the wet from road grime. They did have a spring upgrade which was stronger.
    Never was a rear hub problem. Removed the right side panels and the motor never turned the parking brake upper hub/cam. Switch was the issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake

2017 RT LTD. 6000 klm. Happened twice. In the shop now getting new brake actuator replaced. Why dont dealers admit they know the issue. Seems they prefer the warranty route and payment from Bombarduer.

Spyder Garage

You might try electrical contact cleaner sprayed inside the switches. Then you can spray the other switches on the handlebar.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default Park Brake

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    Well I'll have to eat my words! Yesterday I tried rocking the switch several times and the parking brake started working. It's working every time. If it fails again it's going into the shop for a new switch.

Probably not the switch itself but the connector on the bottom of the switch. My 2011 RT did the same thing as yours, the frunk side of the switch worked perfect but the brake would not set. I reseated the switch in the connector and everything has worked perfect ever since.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake will not release update

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    You might try electrical contact cleaner sprayed inside the switches. Then you can spray the other switches on the handlebar.
    Thanks for response. Bike is in the shop for 3rd week. Told the brake actuator motor has been ordered and will be replaced. I did try the contact cleaner but it didn't work. Yes, the window worked fine. Hoping I get it back soon. I put 500 Kilometers on the bike so far.