Spyder Garage

Default Strange Discussion

We met a person today with a 2012 RT SE5 Limited that he purchased from a non BRP dealer as a used bike with about 80 miles on it. He has had it for less than a year, and had to replace the clutch because he was shifting it way to early. I do not know who replaced the clutch but they told him they adjusted the computer so he could shift it at lower RPM's and not burn the clutch. I have never heard of this, and I believe that he will continue to burn clutches and destroy the machine.

I would like to get some input from the vast knowledge out there, so that the next time I meet him, I can have some solid information in order to give him some advice to keep him from ruining the machine and bad mouthing Spyders.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So, here's the thing. if you are shifting a SE5 such that the RPMs in the higher gear are lower than 3500, you're going to eventually burn the clutch. The clutch is a centrifugal clutch and there is nothing that can be done through BUDS that will change the physics of its engagement. IMHO, the smartest thing a SE5 ryder can do is to put his RT into Trailer Mode. In Trailer Mode, Nanny won't let you upshift if the resulting RPMs will cause clutch slippage, virtually eliminating a burnt clutch.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    So, here's the thing. if you are shifting a SE5 such that the RPMs in the higher gear are lower than 3500, you're going to eventually burn the clutch. The clutch is a centrifugal clutch and there is nothing that can be done through BUDS that will change the physics of its engagement. IMHO, the smartest thing a SE5 ryder can do is to put his RT into Trailer Mode. In Trailer Mode, Nanny won't let you upshift if the resulting RPMs will cause clutch slippage, virtually eliminating a burnt clutch.
    Any adverse effects from running in "trailer mode" all the time?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What is the correct RPM to shift an SE5??

Spyder Garage

The easiest way I shift the SE5 is 1st gear up thru 29 MPH, 2nd up thru 39, 3rd up thru 49, 4th up thru 59, 60 and up. I understand that this the minimum. Happy ryding
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    What is the correct RPM to shift an SE5??

I assume you meant upshift. 4500 to 9000 and is the same as a SM5

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Cool

I've had mine almost 2yrs with NO problems (yet)...and I am very conservative on my shifting to save gas. normal driving upshift at 3k to 3.5 k and usually drive in 4th gear thru town in traffic at posted 40mph. I kicked it up a notch if posted speeds are higher like getting to the interstate 4.5k to 5k revs. . my dealer knows and didn't have any comment on it. I know for sure that 2.5k is when the nanny downshifts- and that would be your lugging point to upshift- AND by the way my spyder wont let you upshift unless you have minimum rpm torque. I have the 2012 RT-SE5.cheers
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    Might lower your MPG's a little. Other than that no adverse effects.

Spyder Garage

A lot of us shift in the 5000 to 5500 range. Also use this as operating range for whatever gear you are in. You wont use fifth gear until 60-65 mph here. The is always "ready to go" in this range, and the Rotax seems to be happiest. Mileage not affected. Still get 30-31 mpg.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Shift . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    My RT won't shift into trailer mode without a trailer connected, so I'm wondering how switching to trailer can be done?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenGH View Post
    My RT won't shift into trailer mode without a trailer connected, so I'm wondering how switching to trailer can be done?
    I believe you can either use or not use the trailer mode setup just by activating the trailer mode option in the modes area of the set up screen. You probably have to have the machine stopped for it to activate. I have turned it on and off--but never tried riding with it activated--since I do not pull a trailer.

If I am wrong they will correct me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    As near as I can tell, the only thing "trailer mode" does is keep you from upshifting too soon and automatically downshifting at about 3200 RPM.

Silver Shadow

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    I've had mine almost 2yrs with NO problems (yet)...and I am very conservative on my shifting to save gas. normal driving upshift at 3k to 3.5 k and usually drive in 4th gear thru town in traffic at posted 40mph. I kicked it up a notch if posted speeds are higher like getting to the interstate 4.5k to 5k revs. . my dealer knows and didn't have any comment on it. I know for sure that 2.5k is when the nanny downshifts- and that would be your lugging point to upshift- AND by the way my spyder wont let you upshift unless you have minimum rpm torque. I have the 2012 RT-SE5.cheers
    Several of the experts on this forum have stated that the centrifugal clutch is not fully engaged until 3250 +/- 250 RPM. Their advice has been to not shift unless the RPM after the shift is at least 3500 RPM. As an added measure of ensuring the clutch stays fully engaged, the following speeds have been suggested as appropriate shift points: 1st > 2nd = 29 MPH; 2nd > 3rd = 39 MPH; 3rd > 4th = 49 MPH; 4th >5th = 60 MPH or higher.

Since it's impossible to really tell when the SE5 clutch is fully engaged, I am following the experts advice.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I just found the following information in the service manual. Centrifugal clutch engagement = 2000 +/- 200. Centrifugal clutch stall = 3200 +/- 200. Based on this information, centrifugal clutch engagement could begin as early as 1800 RPM and full clutch engagement may not occur until 3400 RPM.
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 10-06-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add info

Silver Shadow

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

The semi automatic clutches throught 2013 do not fully engauge till the engine reaches 3,500 rpm's. If you shift at 4,000/4,500 rpms you gear ratio will drop the rpm's in many cases below the 3,500. Getting back up will cause slipage. The same if you run around town below the 3,500 rpm's often refered to as lugging the engine. If his mechanic said he adjusted the computer to do as he wishes "we need him here" I have a few other computer adjustments I would like done...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If memory serves me correctly...(A rarity these days!), Wasn't there an update to the software that would force a downshift if a load was put on the system?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good advice above, but man, this place sure feels like Groundhog Day at times...

As I'm sure I've said in every "shift point" thread, the thing that boggles isn't just that the low-shifters are doing it wrong (and playing dice with their *TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR* machines!), it's that there's no question their bike rides like and they just accept it, either through ignorance, or worse, stubbornness.

The 990 loves high RPM. It works best there, the Spyder rides best there, it's where you should-- natch, need to-- spend your happy time.

Alas, given the 2013s-- and soon, the 2014s-- this conversation will soon be moot for all but the band of merry few on the RS. An entire generation of new Spyderlovers will finally be able to ride their Spyders like sightseeing cruiser riders, never enjoying the visceral pleasure of spooling up past 6,000++ rpm to jet out of a corner...

High RPMs, we hardly knew ye.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    BRP has specifically stated you should not shift if the resulting engine rpm will be below 3500 or you will cause excessive and premature wear on your centrifugal clutch. If you do this, and your centrifugal clutch fails, they will NOT cover it under warranty. The centrifugal clutch doesn't fully engage until over 3500 rpm and shifting at a point where you drop below that is like starting the bike from a stop, except with a lot more throttle and engine loading so it'll cause about as much wear as drag racing. Do that for thousands of miles and it'll destroy the centrifugal clutch often resulting in other damages to the transmission as well.

Now unloaded, as in decelerating lightly, below 3500 rpm won't cause excessive wear (just normal wear) but if you were to try and get back on the throttle at that point you would be in the same situation plus lugging the motor which can lead to an even more expensive repair.

tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

To the OP, tell your acquaintance to also find a new mechanic/dealership to do any future work .