Thread: Do I or Don't I

Spyder Garage

Default Do I or Don't I

Still have problems with a 2012 RT SM5 after trips to two different dealerships and 7 weeks of down time and emails to BRP. My clutch resivoir on the handlebar has bled down 3 times leaving me with no pressure on the clutch lever. After refilling and working the clutch I get it back. The first dealership said he thought he located the leak up under the right panel but wasn't able to provide me the service needed to fix it. The second dealership kept the bike for 5 weeks and said they couldn't duplicate the problem after working the clutch lever several times and charged me for diagnostics and turned me loose. Told me they only looked behind the panels but didn't remove them. When I left I noted a very weak clutch pull, when I got home I checked the resivoir and sure enough only enough fluid to wet the bottom of the resivoir. Should I or should I not depanel and attempt the repair myself, and where do I look for they actuator and associated valve. I'm still under warranty but finding a dealer to perform the repair is proving to be a little difficult. EMail to BRP resulted in an advisory that the dealers are independents and not BRP. Most likely I'll be able to locate the problem when I get into it. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Question about dealers. You mentioned independents and not BRP dealers. Do you mean the dealers you went to were not actual authorized BRP sales/service places? I can see why you may not get help from BRP in that situation. If they were authorized dealers, they are very much lacking in service skills. This sounds like it should be a warranty issue on a 2012. Down time for weeks at a time is not acceptable for any job--but finding a clutch leak--is harboring on ridiculous.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Question about dealers. You mentioned independents and not BRP dealers. Do you mean the dealers you went to were not actual authorized BRP sales/service places? I can see why you may not get help from BRP in that situation. If they were authorized dealers, they are very much lacking in service skills. This sounds like it should be a warranty issue on a 2012. Down time for weeks at a time is not acceptable for any job--but finding a clutch leak--is harboring on ridiculous.
    I could be wrong, But i think the OP Did go to authorized dealers, All dealers are independent as in not owned by BRP.. I know I've been told that a few times by a vehicle manufacturer..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try finding a Platinum dealer. I believe that the designation means that their service people have all of the proper training. I had a leak on my 2010 RT also and my dealer found the problem and repaired/replaced the clutch in just a few days.

I'm getting tired of hearing the same old story about independent dealers. If their independent dealer network isn't getting the job done then there is a problem.

The Platinum Dealer closest to you is All Out Cycles 108 KEMPSVILLE RD.Chesapeake, VA
    23320-3705
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 10-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default platinum certified mechanic

I completely agree with Spyder Ann if you want the best qualified mechanic ask the dealer if their mechanic is Platinum certified!
    if they are not I would not let them work on your spyder. There are three Platinum certifications that a mechanic can get through BRP
    they are for Can AM, Sea Doo, and Ski Doo the mechanic that works on my Spyder is Platinum certified for all three his certifications are hanging right next to the service managers check in counter for all customers to see.

Spyder Garage

Just my 2 cents... a Platinum dealer means more than just technician certification. There's a lot more that goes into it than just training and it adds up to a better dealer in most cases.

But it doesn't mean non-platinum dealers are bad. I can think of a few but won't name names
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Get yourself a shop manual online, and look the procedure over to see if it is within your capabilities. If I remember correctly the clutch slave cylinder parts are less than $100...and much less if you only need to replace the O-rings. If the leak is at the clutch master cylinder however, it will be expensive. You really need a good tech to look over the problem, but if you contact BRP Customer Care and open a case file they may be able to point your dealer in the right direction. I'd get it repaired under warranty if it was me, just to get it on record and cover you if you have further troubles. If the dealer doews the work they can't blame the problems on you. How far are you from a good dealer? There are some in Eastern Tennessee.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default May have gotten the answer

The problems with warranty being affected makes me stay clear of doing it myself. I could most likely handle it and I did get the manuals soon after I got the bike. I'm in coastal N.E. North Carolina if someone can direct me to someone Platinum Certified. The two dealers I have dealt with do sell the Spyders and do service them but I'm not sure of their certification. I was a little taken back when they couldn't find the leak, they just told me it was the lubricants heating up a liquefying and dripping on my garage floor. I think they were just too busy to work on it. I was a little concerned when the first question was ; Did you buy it here?
    I probably wouldn't mind traveling out a couple hundred miles to get it fixed, but if I have to go that far I'd like to bring it back home with me in one trip. But that's not going to happen. The gas mileage on the Spyder is bad enough but borrowing or renting a trailer then feeding a truck that gets 14 MPG ain't fun either. However I bought it, I got it, and I'm keeping it and I need to get it fixed under warranty. Thanks for your responses.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

try to find the problem yourself. Pull the panels and follow the lines to the slave cylinder on the right engine side. If you find it you can have them fix it or if it is something you can handle do it yourself. But it would be wise to find a shop a bit more dedicated to it's customers and their issues...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
    . However I bought it, I got it, and I'm keeping it and I need to get it fixed under warranty. Thanks for your responses.
    Good luck; please let us know what the outcome of this is!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MONEY,MONEY,MONEY

The problems with warranty being affected makes me stay clear of doing it myself. I could most likely handle it and I did get the manuals soon after I got the bike. I'm in coastal N.E. North Carolina if someone can direct me to someone Platinum Certified. The two dealers I have dealt with do sell the Spyders and do service them but I'm not sure of their certification. I was a little taken back when they couldn't find the leak, they just told me it was the lubricants heating up a liquefying and dripping on my garage floor. I think they were just too busy to work on it. I was a little concerned when the first question was ; Did you buy it here?......But they weren't to BUSY to take your Money ....were they... Bad service at dealers could ruin BRP & spyders ...IMHO.....Mike
    I probably wouldn't mind traveling out a couple hundred miles to get it fixed, but if I have to go that far I'd like to bring it back home with me in one trip. But that's not going to happen. The gas mileage on the Spyder is bad enough but borrowing or renting a trailer then feeding a truck that gets 14 MPG ain't fun either. However I bought it, I got it, and I'm keeping it and I need to get it fixed under warranty. Thanks for your responses.
    ......Sorry for your problems .....Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[snip] I'm in coastal N.E. North Carolina if someone can direct me to someone Platinum Certified. [snip]
    See post #4, above.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The problems with warranty being affected makes me stay clear of doing it myself. I could most likely handle it and I did get the manuals soon after I got the bike. I'm in coastal N.E. North Carolina if someone can direct me to someone Platinum Certified. The two dealers I have dealt with do sell the Spyders and do service them but I'm not sure of their certification. I was a little taken back when they couldn't find the leak, they just told me it was the lubricants heating up a liquefying and dripping on my garage floor. I think they were just too busy to work on it. I was a little concerned when the first question was ; Did you buy it here?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Try finding a Platinum dealer. I believe that the designation means that their service people have all of the proper training. I had a leak on my 2010 RT also and my dealer found the problem and repaired/replaced the clutch in just a few days.

I'm getting tired of hearing the same old story about independent dealers. If their independent dealer network isn't getting the job done then there is a problem.

The Platinum Dealer closest to you is All Out Cycles 108 KEMPSVILLE RD.Chesapeake, VA
    23320-3705
    I found this by putting in the zip code for your town in the Dealer Locator tab on BRP's Can Am Spyder website. You can select by Platinum Dealers.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default All Out Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I found this by putting in the zip code for your town in the Dealer Locator tab on BRP's Can Am Spyder website. You can select by Platinum Dealers.
    This is where I sent him to. For one reason or another, they failed in satisfying the problem. I get great service from these guys! At any rate, please let me know what the outcome of your problem. Again, I apologize for the problems you encountered at All Out Cycles.
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium