Spyder Garage

Default P1175 error code

My new 2013 RT Limited has been throwing a P1175 code. It was a demo with 1400 miles on it, I have since put 0ver 800 miles on it in two weeks. It seems to occur on start up when the fuel tank is low. The code goes away after riding ten miles or more. I asked the salesperson, they have not gotten back to me. Any ideas? I bought the Spyder so that my better half would ride with me (she wouldn't ride on two wheel) she has been on the back for all of those miles.

Spyder Garage

Default Try..!!

running the rpms higher. Don't know your ryding style but at slower rev's the rear cylinder can load up a bit more it does run hotter that the forward cylinder. Should ckear up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The most common causes for one cylinder running rich are a bad sprk plug wire or a bad O2 sensor. There are other possibilities, but I am betting on the plug wire.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a brand new bike...
    Sorry to heae that your first post has to deal with an unwanted issue.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have them check the purge valve.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I now am having the same problem. When I first start up my 2013 RSS with 1200 miles on it it will sputter and rpms will drop below 1000 and fluctuate all over the place and ill put it in gear and then it shuts off. I restart it and go then im fine if i ride it for a bit but you can tell at stop lights its having problems and this has been going on for a week now. But coming home from work today, after it shut off on me when i put it into gear to ride it threw P1175. So I guess its time to call the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRage99 View Post
    I now am having the same problem. When I first start up my 2013 RSS with 1200 miles on it it will sputter and rpms will drop below 1000 and fluctuate all over the place and ill put it in gear and then it shuts off. I restart it and go then im fine if i ride it for a bit but you can tell at stop lights its having problems and this has been going on for a week now. But coming home from work today, after it shut off on me when i put it into gear to ride it threw P1175. So I guess its time to call the dealer?
    .....or get some decent spark plug wires from BajaRon.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    .....or get some decent spark plug wires from BajaRon.
    Why would a new bike need new plug wires? I've wondered about how long the plug wires should last etc. The wires are just not an item that are changed very often. My 2010 still runs better than ever and has never had wires changed. Does the heat under the tupperware lead to premature breakdown? Maybe it is time for a set.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would think that a change of plugs and wires are probably not a bad idea... The quality of the OEM parts has been discussed in other threads; I don't doubt at all that the heat issues hasten their demise...
    Contact Ron!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Spark plugs and wires are covered under the warranty, If dealer says no, Just refer him to the Federal
    emissions warranty [18,641 miles or 5 years whichever occurs first [30,000 km]

Spyder Garage

It is the purge valve! And there have been bad batches of throttle bodies also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geosik View Post
    My new 2013 RT Limited has been throwing a P1175 code. It was a demo with 1400 miles on it, I have since put 0ver 800 miles on it in two weeks. It seems to occur on start up when the fuel tank is low. The code goes away after riding ten miles or more. I asked the salesperson, they have not gotten back to me. Any ideas? I bought the Spyder so that my better half would ride with me (she wouldn't ride on two wheel) she has been on the back for all of those miles.
    Not sure what dealer, but I recommend contacting Roberts in Malone. Great people to do business with and Cory, the mechanic has his s**t together... Good luck. Call Wayne

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my 13 RTS SE5. I swapped the O2 sensors to see if it changed to P1174 (good idea suggested by NancysToy). Since there was no change, it was not the O2 sensors. I then installed BajaRon's plugs and wires (excellent). But I still had transient P1175 codes. Since removing the canister (thus taking the purge valve out of the picture) no more codes.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700